Not open for further replies.

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Incidents like this are never good for the community but it's refreshing to see someone take responsibility for their own actions and not blame the industry or the technology for their own lack of common sense and their disregard for safety.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
Incidents like this are never good for the community but it's refreshing to see someone take responsibility for their own actions and not blame the industry or the technology for their own lack of common sense and their disregard for safety.

You're probably right, and yet it's the first time I've seen a cogent explanation in the media of how something like this can and did happen.

KineticMind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Georgia

Agreed.

"A lot of these stories about vapes exploding are user error," Preston says.

I'm surprised that bit was left in the article. So much bias in reporting these days, I fully expected a headline of "e-cigarette spontaneously combusts, potentially injuring hundreds", so as to fit their anti-vaping narrative.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
You're probably right, and yet it's the first time I've seen a cogent explanation in the media of how something like this can and did happen.

Probably because *the victim* actually understood why it happened, and how it could have been avoided -- just use the damn battery door! That's why it's provided! :facepalm:

But it truly is a breath of fresh air to see a victim of one of these brain farts own up to his mistake instead of blaming the equipment for his error.

Andria

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
What's the article talking about, changing the wattage in the battery area?
Sounds like reporter conjecture. Trying to fill out the article a bit.

This is the only one I've seen that has a fair warning, although it should seem obvious to anyone not to have the battery door off in a pocket with other metal things.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
the closest it came to mentioning the key issue is:
These vape batteries hold about four volts and could have done serious damage to someone's face

The batteries are not 'vape batteries', they are lithium batteries; the same kind of issue as the exploding hoverboard issue.

FishingBuffalo

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
Collinsville,TX
I am sure this will find it's way to discussion, but on CBS Channel 11 KTVT 10 O'Clock News reported a blown up mod from being in a guy's pocket. He spent 3 days in the hospital. The mod shown looked like a parallel mech box. He said it was in his pocket, as he leaned over his pants got real hot, etc.

I have never put a mod of any kind in my pants pocket nor do I recommend doing so. The OP story, the mod was in the pocket.

Last edited:

redddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Rochester, NY
Not exact
Good, fair, write-up. Glad he took responsibility. There are spots that seem "anti-" and spots that seem "pro". Obviously, I wish it was all "pro", but, it could have been worse.
Not exactly.

He called himself "unlucky."

Un-smart would be a good, fair assessment.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
This is the only one I've seen that has a fair warning, although it should seem obvious to anyone not to have the battery door off in a pocket with other metal things.
Before I came to this forum I would have put a battery in my pocket with keys and change.
I never would have thought that could be a problem.

And no, I'm not stupid.
Not even close.

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
Before I came to this forum I would have put a battery in my pocket with keys and change.
I never would have thought that could be a problem.

And no, I'm not stupid.
Not even close.
....although it should seem obvious to anyone ^that owns a mod like this^ not to have the battery door off in a pocket with other metal things.
That's a little better.
The only reason I knew about using caution with batteries was some thing I saw in the news about 9 volt batteries catching fire in junk drawers way before vaping, and probably even before cell phones and laptops were everyday items.

Also I'm sure you aren't stupid. :party:

Reactions: LaraC and DC2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread