The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Another one. Sigh. Always another one.

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by Rocketpunk, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Rocketpunk

Rocketpunk Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Scottitude

Scottitude Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Metro Detroit
    Incidents like this are never good for the community but it's refreshing to see someone take responsibility for their own actions and not blame the industry or the technology for their own lack of common sense and their disregard for safety.

• Like Like x 11
  3. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    tl:dr version: Dual battery mod WITHOUT its battery door installed, placed in the same pocket as his keys and cell phone. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 6
  4. NoFumus

NoFumus Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 27, 2015
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    You're probably right, and yet it's the first time I've seen a cogent explanation in the media of how something like this can and did happen.

• Like Like x 8
  5. KineticMind

KineticMind Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Georgia
    Agreed.

I'm surprised that bit was left in the article. So much bias in reporting these days, I fully expected a headline of "e-cigarette spontaneously combusts, potentially injuring hundreds", so as to fit their anti-vaping narrative.

• Like Like x 5
  6. AndriaD

AndriaD Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Probably because *the victim* actually understood why it happened, and how it could have been avoided -- just use the damn battery door! That's why it's provided! :facepalm:

But it truly is a breath of fresh air to see a victim of one of these brain farts own up to his mistake instead of blaming the equipment for his error.

Andria

• Like Like x 7
  7. greasegizzard

greasegizzard Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 29, 2015
    Arkansas
    What's the article talking about, changing the wattage in the battery area?

• Like Like x 1
  8. this is my name

this is my name Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sounds like reporter conjecture. Trying to fill out the article a bit.

This is the only one I've seen that has a fair warning, although it should seem obvious to anyone not to have the battery door off in a pocket with other metal things.

• Like Like x 3
  9. greasegizzard

Dec 29, 2015
    Arkansas
    I think some people take these little batteries for granted and don't realize their potential just because of their size.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Heybilox

Heybilox Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 20, 2015
    Belle River, ON, CAN
    What am I missing; the incident happened in September and the story just surfaced yesterday, must have been a slow news day. I've been to White House in my travels, it's a pretty laid back community. I would have thought it would have made headlines back in Seotember.

11. edyle

edyle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

the closest it came to mentioning the key issue is:
    The batteries are not 'vape batteries', they are lithium batteries; the same kind of issue as the exploding hoverboard issue.

12. greasegizzard

Dec 29, 2015
    Arkansas
    I've noticed that with the headlines, too. It's always "Vape explodes" or something similar. When in fact it's the battery, not the device. And that's usually the user's fault.

13. Frenchfry1942

Frenchfry1942 Chillin' Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2014
    Rivanna
    Good, fair, write-up. Glad he took responsibility. There are spots that seem "anti-" and spots that seem "pro". Obviously, I wish it was all "pro", but, it could have been worse.

• Like Like x 2
  14. FishingBuffalo

FishingBuffalo Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 22, 2012
    Collinsville,TX
    I am sure this will find it's way to discussion, but on CBS Channel 11 KTVT 10 O'Clock News reported a blown up mod from being in a guy's pocket. He spent 3 days in the hospital. The mod shown looked like a parallel mech box. He said it was in his pocket, as he leaned over his pants got real hot, etc.

I have never put a mod of any kind in my pants pocket nor do I recommend doing so. The OP story, the mod was in the pocket.

15. redddog

redddog Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 5, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Not exact
    Not exactly.

He called himself "unlucky."

Un-smart would be a good, fair assessment.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    That's being kind. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  17. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Before I came to this forum I would have put a battery in my pocket with keys and change.
    I never would have thought that could be a problem.

And no, I'm not stupid.
    Not even close.

• Like Like x 2
  18. this is my name

this is my name Senior Member ECF Veteran

That's a little better.
    The only reason I knew about using caution with batteries was some thing I saw in the news about 9 volt batteries catching fire in junk drawers way before vaping, and probably even before cell phones and laptops were everyday items.

Also I'm sure you aren't stupid. :party:

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.