Any coil suggestions for a narda clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
Since its Saturday, I built a dual parallel 7 or 8 wrap ss316 28 ga 2.5 mm. Came out at 0.38 ohms and tastes good.

Wish my wires would arrive so I can experiment more
IMG_20180421_115857-01.jpeg

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
It's designed so the coil sits at an angle to the airflow. I've done what you're doing and have come to the conclusion that it takes away performance.
As far as the whistle goes, drill out your topcap. The holes in the cap are slightly smaller than the holes in the deck. Drilling out or dremeling the cap with kill the whistle and smooth out the draw.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
It's designed so the coil sits at an angle to the airflow. I've done what you're doing and have come to the conclusion that it takes away performance.
As far as the whistle goes, drill out your topcap. The holes in the cap are slightly smaller than the holes in the deck. Drilling out or dremeling the cap with kill the whistle and smooth out the draw.
Funny I find the opposite to be true.I always run my coil parallel to the airflow like the OP. I tried it at an angle and found it to be a more turbulent less flavorable vape. I must be special though as neither of my clones whistle. Coil height is very important on this rda. I push my coils down so the airflow hits them head on.This can't be accomplished with a rod inserted because the posts get in the way. I usually just give them a push with my finger to get them low enough. Also I find it helps to add small pieces of cotton to fill the deck to decrease turbulence. Maybe these things can help with your whistling.:)

Reactions: stols001

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
Since I only really have one rda, a narda clone ( I also have a templar but running it in single coil isn't really working for me, plus it barely fit on my Pico Squeeze), I have now built both parallel and angled coil to the airflow, and I think tbh the angle seems to get better flavour...marginally.

Also, have noticed the coil needs to be a bit higher to the airholes, to get that deep flavour coming through. The more it whistles, the better LOL.

As for wicking, the simple wick is way better than splitting the wick ends and trying to fill all the space.

2.5mm fits correctly, I have been unable to fit anything bigger due to poor skills I'm sure. Parallel 28 or 30 ga SS316L wires work magic, although on a regulated squonker the 30ga tends to trigger temperature protect easily and forces me to restart the mod a lot. 28ga seems more practical for parallel build.

I am currently running a simple 5 wrap coil using this wire, and it reads out at 0.43Ω, although I think this wire isn't very good at producing flavour.

I'd love some wire suggestions for flavour chasing...pls share what you think works and where I can buy it.

The narda clone chronicles continue....

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Since I only really have one rda, a narda clone ( I also have a templar but running it in single coil isn't really working for me, plus it barely fit on my Pico Squeeze), I have now built both parallel and angled coil to the airflow, and I think tbh the angle seems to get better flavour...marginally.

Also, have noticed the coil needs to be a bit higher to the airholes, to get that deep flavour coming through. The more it whistles, the better LOL.

As for wicking, the simple wick is way better than splitting the wick ends and trying to fill all the space.

2.5mm fits correctly, I have been unable to fit anything bigger due to poor skills I'm sure. Parallel 28 or 30 ga SS316L wires work magic, although on a regulated squonker the 30ga tends to trigger temperature protect easily and forces me to restart the mod a lot. 28ga seems more practical for parallel build.

I am currently running a simple 5 wrap coil using this wire, and it reads out at 0.43Ω, although I think this wire isn't very good at producing flavour.

I'd love some wire suggestions for flavour chasing...pls share what you think works and where I can buy it.

Maybe you should Try one of these Sampler Packs? For less that 5 Bucks, it is an Easy way to try out some Different Coil types.

$4.61 Authentic MKWS 316L Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (8 Specs) - 6-pack/spec / fused clapton + tiger + clapton + mix twisted + hive + quad + flat twisted + alien clapton coil at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And even if you Don't like any of them, and ended up Giving them Away, you would still have a Cool Container to hold Miscellaneous Small Goodies.

Note: All of these Coil Ohms in that Linked Sample Pack would work Fine on a Regulated Mod. But some may be Too Low to use on a Mech Mod.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia

Glad to see it's getting better for you... have you tried a simple, single strand 24ga SS build? I like spaced on a 3mm rod but 2.5 would be fine. I agree with you on coil height. I like to see the very bottom of my coil through the air holes .

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
Glad to see it's getting better for you... have you tried a simple, single strand 24ga SS build? I like spaced on a 3mm rod but 2.5 would be fine. I agree with you on coil height. I like to see the very bottom of my coil through the air holes .
Not yet, Im not sure I have 24 ga wire but if I do I will definitely try.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
Maybe you should Try one of these Sampler Packs? For less that 5 Bucks, it is an Easy way to try out some Different Coil types.

$4.61 Authentic MKWS 316L Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (8 Specs) - 6-pack/spec / fused clapton + tiger + clapton + mix twisted + hive + quad + flat twisted + alien clapton coil at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And even if you Don't like any of them, and ended up Giving them Away, you would still have a Cool Container to hold Miscellaneous Small Goodies.

Note: All of these Coil Ohms in that Linked Sample Pack would work Fine on a Regulated Mod. But some may be Too Low to use on a Mech Mod.
Ive ordered two sets of mixed coils from FT to test...

$4.61 Authentic MKWS 316L Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (8 Specs) - 6-pack/spec / fused clapton + tiger + clapton + mix twisted + hive + quad + flat twisted + alien clapton coil at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping These are my usual ss coils to use in TC mode on my RSQ
$9.21 Authentic Coilology Performance Ni80 Pre-Coiled Wire (7 Specs) - 6-pack/spec / w/ cotton at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping I decided to buy some Ni80 coils to use on my Pico Squeeze since SS resistance tends to bounce around and perhaps a mech would perform better with Ni80

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ive ordered two sets of mixed coils from FT to test...

$4.61 Authentic MKWS 316L Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (8 Specs) - 6-pack/spec / fused clapton + tiger + clapton + mix twisted + hive + quad + flat twisted + alien clapton coil at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping These are my usual ss coils to use in TC mode on my RSQ
$9.21 Authentic Coilology Performance Ni80 Pre-Coiled Wire (7 Specs) - 6-pack/spec / w/ cotton at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping I decided to buy some Ni80 coils to use on my Pico Squeeze since SS resistance tends to bounce around and perhaps a mech would perform better with Ni80

Sounds like you are going to have Coils to Try for Days.

Let us know which ones you Like/Dislike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread