any difference in mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scatterthelogan

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2011
maryland
there are tons of five volt mods on the market. i use a glv2, but is there any difference at all in vapor and throat hit among mods. what makes sense to me is that five volts on a standard resistance carto is gonna be the same across the board. so is it preference really just based on size shape and color and all that type of thing?

bsb111

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Look up Ohms law: voltage squared divided by resistance (all under load conditions) = actual watts produced by the device. Watts are watts (watt is a unit of power); all else (IMHO) are bells and whistles. But some PV's have some really nice bells and whistles.

Power in watts is not subjective; TH, vapor production, flavor, etc. (at least with testing equipment available to me), are very subjective terms and very hard to quantify. Many within this forum have their favorite PV and usually state why.

Hope this has provided some useful info.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    So you like to vape 3ohms @ 5v, 8.33watts. With a mod there are several ways to get there. Keeping this simple, you can use one 3.7v battery and a booster ckt to raise the voltage, or you can use two 3.7v batteries and a regulator ckt to lower the voltage to the desired level.
    All said and done 5v is 5v, there is no computer inside the carto to distinguish how the 5v was accomplished.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Hickory, NC
    If you're asking will a cheap 5V box mod from madvapes vape the same as your glv2 the answer is probably. Ohm's law is an equal opportunity law and 5V is 5V. The regulator can make a difference. You might get a little more fall off or less battery life with one or the other. I wouldn't expect much difference though. Styling and durability are more of a consideration when chosing between them than how it vapes.

As tj99959 says, what you put on it makes a lot bigger difference. I will also say that watts is a good guideline for finding something similar but, equal watts does not mean same experience. Similar yes, but, there are differences. I get told I'm wrong on this sometimes but, it's true.

Stownz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Guthrie, OK
    The regulator used makes a difference. Holding it at a certain voltage, vs the steady drop off from the battery going down. There is also a difference between the switching and linear regulators on the different VV mods as well as the efficiency.

The connector also has an impact on airflow through the atty or carto of your choice. Some will have a very loose draw controlled by the holes in the atty itself, some are very tight. The GGTS is an example of this with adjustable air controll.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Hickory, NC
    The regulator used makes a difference. Holding it at a certain voltage, vs the steady drop off from the battery going down. There is also a difference between the switching and linear regulators on the different VV mods as well as the efficiency.

Well the OP was talking about 5V. I don't think there's as much variation in regulators in 5V. You might know better though. VV is a different story. Regulators are a lot bigger consideration there.

The connector also has an impact on airflow through the atty or carto of your choice. Some will have a very loose draw controlled by the holes in the atty itself, some are very tight. The GGTS is an example of this with adjustable air controll.

True. I didn't think about that aspect. It's not that big a deal to me but, it is for some ppl. Good catch.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    A 2.0 ohm atty at 3.7 volts will give you just under a 7 watt vape. The same atty at 4.5v will produce around 10 watts. The ability to dial in a specific voltage lets you get into the sweet spot for a particular juice.

There are juices that I don't like at 3.7v, so I vape them at 3.4v and LR on an Ego. Others, I find are better at 3.7v on the same atty, so I screw on a Riva battery. There's a limit to how high you can go on a particular resistance without just popping the coil.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread