Status
Not open for further replies.

SmilingSlasher

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2009
NC
I'm not really a "gamer"....but I do own gaming systems. I have a Wii and an Xbox (not the 360). I actually run through ALOT of systems though.

I had a NDS that I hacked and turned into a Skype phone. Got bored with it and traded it on Craigslist for a PSP.

I hacked the PSP and sold it, cause the PSP is just boring. All I really used it for was to connect to my wireless internet to check for new PSP Homebrew.

I won a Xbox360 months before you could buy it (EveryTenMinutes Contest held by Mt. Dew) and sold it when the whole RROD things started being reported.

I had a PS2......hacked it. Installed a 250Gb HDD and loaded it to the gills with games. Sold it too.

My Xbox has a 300Gb HDD installed in it. It has every old school game you can think of loaded onto it. It runs XBMC as the main dashboard, and I use it mainly as a "frontend" to stream my Movies and TV Series from my Home Media Server. I deved up a custom skin on it and when it starts up it says "Welcome to Project Mayhem". It is totally great.

Now I've moved on to my Wii. It's hacked also. It has the Homebrew Channel. It plays DVDs and will stream Movies and TV Series over my wireless network from my Home Media Server. It also has lots of old school games on it too, but nowhere near the amount my xbox has.

I'm thinking about getting another 360 since Microsoft has been working out the RROD issues. Not to mention a softmod has been released allowing homebrew development for it now. So it is right up my alley now!!!:)

That's about it. I have no intrest in PS3 ( for now), but who knows what the future will bring.

420Smiles

Last edited:

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
I'm not really a "gamer"....but I do own gaming systems. I have a Wii and an Xbox (not the 360). I actually run through ALOT of systems though.

I had a NDS that I hacked and turned into a Skype phone. Got bored with it and traded it on Craigslist for a PSP.

I hacked the PSP and sold it, cause the PSP is just boring. All I really used it for was to connect to my wireless internet to check for new PSP Homebrew.

I won a Xbox360 months before you could buy it (EveryTenMinutes Contest held by Mt. Dew) and sold it when the whole RROD things started being reported.

I had a PS2......hacked it. Installed a 250Gb HDD and loaded it to the gills with games. Sold it too.

My Xbox has a 300Gb HDD installed in it. It has every old school game you can think of loaded onto it. It runs XBMC as the main dashboard, and I use it mainly as a "frontend" to stream my Movies and TV Series from my Home Media Server. I deved up a custom skin on it and when it starts up it says "Welcome to Project Mayhem". It is totally great.

Now I've moved on to my Wii. It's hacked also. It has the Homebrew Channel. It plays DVDs and will stream Movies and TV Series over my wireless network from my Home Media Server. It also has lots of old school games on it too, but nowhere near the amount my xbox has.

I'm thinking about getting another 360 since Microsoft has been working out the RROD issues. Not to mention a softmod has been released allowing homebrew development for it now. So it is right up my alley now!!!:)

That's about it. I have no intrest in PS3 ( for now), but who knows what the future will bring.

420Smiles

Nice to see someone else on here who likes to use their consoles for unintended purposes :D I like my Wii so its never been opened, the PS2 is the small one and I only play GTA on it!!!

The PSP and DS are nice and hacked, the PSP is now a Sega Mega Drive thanks to Picodrive and the DS has lots of ROMs on it including Mario!

I also have a new addition called Dingoo that has Linux, a Mega Drive emulator and a SNES one too but isn't perfected yet hehe!

Damn PSP is too large and heavy, hope the Dingoo emulators get fixed up!

SmilingSlasher

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2009
NC
I like my Wii so its never been opened

You don't have to open it. You can run a lil piece of homebrew straight from the SD card........BAM!!! Quickie softmod. Runs back-ups, media players, emulators......you can even install WiiWare. Google "BannerBomb" and find out how simple it is. Warning.........you must follow instructions to a "t" or risk bricking the Wii. Nothing worse than a $250.00 doorstop!! ;)

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
Just got 2 new games for the PS3, White Knight Chronicles and Heavy Rain. I played Heavy Rain last night and it is awesome! It is about a serial killer called the Origami Killer. It's more of a, like, choose your own adventure book (remember those?). I've been waiting for more games like this to come out. It's like an interactive movie/mystery and the graphics are really great and cinematic. Also preordered FFXIII and got this really cool mini guide to tide me over until it gets here!

beecee

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Valley of the Sunstroke
420, I bet you don't get the PS3 cause you can't make it do what you want?

I have a friend that does the same as you. Made my Xbox my own too.

Haven't done so with my Wii or my 360 yet but it shall happen! and when the PS3 wants to be molded into my own little play thing I will handle that as well.

As for being a gamer?
Well, I'm an old school gamer who used to play the original Team Fortress back in the late 90's. Actually Quake TF and Quake in general with the first and original all female gaming clan "Clan PMS". There is am all girl gaming clan of the same name now but isn't the original clan.

Ahh those were the days. Been to QuakeCon and E3. Fun fun. Even ran a gaming site, played against Carmack (and whooped his rear). Flirted with Steed and met a lot of good people back then. Can't believe it was 10 years ago!

Egad I'm getting old.

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD

Haven't done so with my Wii or my 360 yet but it shall happen! and when the PS3 wants to be molded into my own little play thing I will handle that as well.

As for being a gamer?
Well, I'm an old school gamer who used to play the original Team Fortress back in the late 90's. Actually Quake TF and Quake in general with the first and original all female gaming clan "Clan PMS". There is am all girl gaming clan of the same name now but isn't the original clan.

Ahh those were the days. Been to QuakeCon and E3. Fun fun. Even ran a gaming site, played against Carmack (and whooped his rear). Flirted with Steed and met a lot of good people back then. Can't believe it was 10 years ago!

Egad I'm getting old.

*bows down*

How was E3? I would LOVE to go!

biophox

Jan 21, 2010
Ohio
LMAO!! My hubby and I also play WOW!! We are on Arathor Server..FOR THE HORDE!!!

I have a 80 DK, 80 Undead lock, and a 44 Hunter.. We just got back into WOW again..Dint play for about 5 Months or longer..Im so glad we are back!! wE CAN afford it now thanks to Vaping WOOT!! Ohh ya did I say.................... FOR THE HORDE!! :p...

FOR THE HORDE!!!
lmao

My Wife and I play on Runetotem. I have a 80 DK, 80 Pally, 80 Lock, 80 Druid, and a 80 shammy

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
I play mainly FPS. I usually play them all the way through the single player, and go through about a dozen a year, so way to many to list out.:D
I've got every system, but usually stick to PC games. I got used to aiming with the mouse years ago, and I drop about a hundred skill levels when I try to use those damn analog sticks :rolleyes: I'm also very picky about my controls. I just can't do the 'wads' think. I have to have right-mouse as walk forward. (anyone else do that?) I think it's a great setup because you can play one-handed most of the time, and only go for the keys when the action picks up and strafing is required.
The only problem with that is that are a few games that I never got past the controller setup in because they didn't allow right-mouse for forward.:sneaky:
Although I did come across a key remapper (AHK script) just a couple weeks ago, so now I'm dragging out all these old games that I couldn't play before. :thumb:

You don't have to open it. You can run a lil piece of homebrew straight from the SD card........BAM!!! Quickie softmod. Runs back-ups, media players, emulators......you can even install WiiWare. Google "BannerBomb" and find out how simple it is. Warning.........you must follow instructions to a "t" or risk bricking the Wii. Nothing worse than a $250.00 doorstop!! ;)

I haven't modded any of my systems since the PS1 10 years ago, but now you got me wanting to play with the wii a little. I actually have an extra one that the drive went out in, so that would be the perfect test subject. It's already at brick status (as far playing discs), but maybe I can give it second life with some hacks and romware. :thumb:

I loved quake TF. That's where my username originated. My ping times were so bad, I always had to play engineer. That game was great. I bet I could draw out the entire 2fort4 map from memory and it's been 10 years since I saw it :rolleyes:.
Have you played the TF2? That'll give you some flashbacks:D

Kismayaz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Central FL
I've been gaming ever since I could walk. I love it. I have my wii loaded up with all the old school games for nes, snes, genesis, gba, and have them all on my psp as well for when I'm out and about. I haven't modded my 360 because I have that game pass from blockbuster, and it's just the time savings of being able to go get any game I want whenever it comes out, beat it real quick, then switch it out.

Also, I have no specific genre I'm attached too. I've gone from god-like status on tetris attack for snes to playing through lost odyssey and mass effect dozens of times. I like most FPS's but I don't usually play online because I'll admit I'm scared of being addicted to just one game like back in the days of Phantasy Star Online and Starcraft. There's just way too many good games out there to be stuck on just one.

I'm currently playing through some old school Mario games until FFXIII comes out in a few days. Can't get enough of that little red ...........

SmilingSlasher

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2009
NC
WOW!!! I'm glad I sparked so much intrest in modding!!!

As for being a gamer?

Egad I'm getting old.

I don't know.......... A guy just reverse engineered the PS3s OS. Took him 3 years to do it but now that he has write access to the OS, softmods shouldn't be too far behind. Plus PS3 runs Linux......and as the original Xbox has taught us "If you can get it to run Linux kernal.........you can get it to do pretty much WHATEVER you like!!!" Whats your Xbox setup like. I'd love to know!!! ;)

I didn't know it was so easy to mod Wii!!

Nothing compares to the power of Sega Mega Drive, everything should have a Megadrive emulator on it!!!!

5 minutes=modded. One of the fastest and funnest things to do with a Wii. Hope you enjoy it!!!

I haven't modded any of my systems since the PS1 10 years ago, but now you got me wanting to play with the wii a little. I actually have an extra one that the drive went out in, so that would be the perfect test subject. It's already at brick status (as far playing discs), but maybe I can give it second life with some hacks and romware. :thumb:

The PS1 really couldn't be "modded". You could use what's called a "hot swap" method to run back-up discs but "hot swap" still required that you have an original game to boot the system past the PS logo........after that you quickly remove the original game and replace it with a burnt disc........actually fooling the system to thinking everything was legit.
Still very cool though!!!!
As far as that extra Wii you have. You don't need the DVD Drive to do the "BannerBomb" hack (unlike the Twilight Princess hack) so run with it. And since your DVD drive doesn't work, you might wanna look into USB loaders. They allow you to plug an external hard drive to the Wii and you can play back-ups from it.:)

420Smiles

420Smiles

But you can mod the ps3. You can install Linux, rip blu-ray, download ps3 games and play them and all that good hack/mod stuff :) I haven't done it because I don't want to mess with my PS3, it does what I want, and I don't play enough games to want to hack/mod it. You can also install a larger HDD into it, it's pretty simple. Again I haven't done this, my 80gb (or is it 60gb, not sure) is plenty for what I use mine for... a few games but mostly to watch Blu-Ray movies.
I haven't modded my PSP yet, been too lazy.

SmilingSlasher

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2009
NC
I had not heard that a "true" softmod had been released. Might you post a link to the info ( not to the mod files......just the info related to it ) or PM me with it. I would love to read up on that. Last I heard (about a month ago) was that a guy in South America had cracked the OS......therefore openning the door to a softmod. I knew there were modchips for it, but I never go that route.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
The PS1 really couldn't be "modded". You could use what's called a "hot swap" method to run back-up discs but "hot swap" still required that you have an original game to boot the system past the PS logo........after that you quickly remove the original game and replace it with a burnt disc........actually fooling the system to thinking everything was legit.
Still very cool though!!!!

My PS1 was modded. No hot swap disc. No original disc. Could run completely from a CDR copy of the original. I had to solder in a chip that I got from a buddy at electronics school. That was probably the most nervous I have ever been with a soldering iron. I had to 'piggyback' this chip onto another chip and it was some tiny solder joints to work with. My PS1 was only a couple months old, and needless to say it took me couple days to work up the courage to crack it open.
I think this was just before they came out with the 'no solder', plug-in-the-port, hack that needed the boot disc. I think it was around spring 98 whenI did it.

Definitely going to try that wii hack :thumb: Thnx

SmilingSlasher

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2009
NC
My PS1 was modded. No hot swap disc. No original disc. Could run completely from a CDR copy of the original. I had to solder in a chip that I got from a buddy at electronics school. That was probably the most nervous I have ever been with a soldering iron. I had to 'piggyback' this chip onto another chip and it was some tiny solder joints to work with. My PS1 was only a couple months old, and needless to say it took me couple days to work up the courage to crack it open.
I think this was just before they came out with the 'no solder', plug-in-the-port, hack that needed the boot disc. I think it was around spring 98 whenI did it.

Definitely going to try that wii hack :thumb: Thnx

My mistake. I always think of "modding" as "softmod". I did know that you could mod it thru the use of a Modchip, but since I never go that route......my brain automatically assumes "softmod". Sorry.:)

Try the Wii. Man.......it's some of the most fun I've had, but be sure to look into what Custom Ios are and how to install and use them. If not you may brick it.......or some of the features you would want in a modded console will not work.

River

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
Independence, KY USA
FOR THE HORDE!!!
lmao

My Wife and I play on Runetotem. I have a 80 DK, 80 Pally, 80 Lock, 80 Druid, and a 80 shammy
Go Horde!!! 80 shammy on umm lol crap I don't remember... ghostlands maybe?

I hate running instances and chasing gear so I just hit max level everytime an expansion comes out and do BGs for a couple of months then put it away until the next expansion comes out.

I was born to combat medic lol!

I also do a ton of co-op on consoles but lately I spend every extra penny on liquids and hardware for PVs so I have not bought a game in months.

My PC is getting pretty old but I will build a new one as soon as Civ 5 gets closer to release, it may be awhile though they just announced it recently.

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
Hey I remember the PS1! My cousins were the proud owner of one and we played NTSC imports and PAL games! I especially liked playing Mortal Kombat and the snowboarding games!! It was one of those older PS1s with the expansion port, we bought a plastic dongle that plugged in to allow the NTSC games to be played on the system, it also could have worked with CDRs but we didn't have a computer with a burner back then! Of course, the NTSC games were in black and white due to the English TV lol!! Then one day my cousins bought home a PS2 and shortly after me and my brother had one to play on GTA :) Before that I had Mega Drive and a Master System, sister had a SNES and somehow an N64 was aquired! Also I had an Amiga, Atari ST, Spectrum, Amstrad CPC464 and 6128, Acorn BBC Micro, Acorn A5000, Acorn A7000 and some Acorn A3020s. Many of the Acorns I got from my school when they upgraded but I gave them away as they took too much space!! My favourite was the Acorn A5000, it was my first and I took it home from school as it was broken, I fixed it by reseating the RAM expansion module!!!!

Next time I have my Wii out I will have to look into the modding of it!! When its modded is the Wii classic controller able to be used with the emulators? I never got any games what use this controller :(

SmilingSlasher

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2009
NC
Next time I have my Wii out I will have to look into the modding of it!! When its modded is the Wii classic controller able to be used with the emulators? I never got any games what use this controller :(

Yes. The Wii classic controller works on the emulators. PLUS.........You will need the Wii classic controller to install BootMii. BootMii is a way to protect your Wii from permantley bricking it. Once BootMii is installed, you will create a NAND Backup........that way if you accidentally brick it you can reboot the Wii and BootMii will still start up and then you can use the NAND Back-up to restore your Wii to working order. Remember folks........Safety first!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread