Status
Not open for further replies.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
Lately instead of heating my wire with a lighter before wrapping, what I do instead is I attach one end to the center post in a genesis, and one end to the negative, so that it just makes a big loop. Just an "O" kind of shape. I then just heat it up a bunch of times. I think it's easier to do it this way rather than burning it, and keeps lighter residue off the wire. It's not like it's a huge time saver or some miracle or anything, I was just curious if i'm the only person that does this? I would take a picture but my DID and my Cobra are both coiled amazingly right now and I don't want to screw them up just to take a picture! LOL

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... It's also fun and looks super cool! :p

dwayne_johnson2.jpg

You need to get out more. :)

b0redagain

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2011
Denver, CO
Why are you supposed to do that in the first place? I have heard it makes the wire easier to work with. I have watched a video where the guy did not even burn the wire.
You don't have to do it, but it does make it easier to work with. Applying heat to the wire takes some of the tension out of it.

I only use Kanthal (but the following seems to apply to both it & nichrome). I do not burn treat my resistance wire until the coil is wound set in place. As I comprehend it, once fire/heat is applied to the wire, a shell of chromium oxide forms & if disturbed after fire I imagine it forms cracks.

Oxidze SS mesh. Absolutely it is clearly needed & serves a function.

Oxidize wire before wound & set. I know of no reason to on Kanthal. A dry burn removes manufacturing oils just fine & I feel that my coils last longer.(nichrome is much more stiff, so a preburn of strait wire may help nichrome users. I do not know, as I do not use nichrome.)

*Source with info about the shell layer of chromium oxide.

8N9cC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread