Anybody else feel like a guinea pig? How do we know it's safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarzilla

Aug 1, 2011
Columbus, OH
E-smoking seems like a healthy alternative when compared to smoking analogs, however, there haven't been a lot of conclusive studies as to whether e-cigs are truly "safe." Since e-smoking is a relatively new thing, not enough time has passed to determine if there are long-term effects. Does anyone else here feel like a guinea pig?

With dozens of popular e-liquid providers, none of which are regulated by the FDA, we have no idea what ingredients we're inhaling. Of course we know about PG/VG, both of which are on the FDA safe list, although it's likely that heavy vapers are getting a lot more PG than those breathing it from fog machines and inhalers. But what about the other ingredients? How do we know what's going into Honey Flue Cured, Blueberry, and Ry4, and whether it's safe to put in your lungs on a regular basis?

What about the atomizers and cartomizers? What happens if your carto runs a little dry and starts burning up the filler material, and you're inhaling that? If it's a strong taste, you'd change the carto, but what if it just burns a little bit? A couple of times I've filled a brand new carto and realized it was dud when my mouth was full of the most foul tasting smoke ever.

My point is, this stuff needs to be tested and regulated by the FDA. Of course, with regulation, there may be increased costs to vendors, which would be handed down to consumers. But I would feel a lot better knowing what's in my liquids, and whether it's safe. Perhaps vendors should be required post their ingredients online. Nutrition facts are already required on all foods and beverages (except alcohol, which baffles me.)

On the other hand, I disagree with state governments that are attempting to outlaw e-cigs. There is already a wide variety of options when it comes to ingesting nicotine, not to mention the fact that many e-liquids contain no nicotine at all. It's foolish to outlaw a product that could potentially be safer, based on ignorance. The government should do their homework first and decide what the risks are before blindly passing legislation.

In the meantime, I suppose I'll be one of the guinea pigs, because I love to vape, and there's no way in hell I'm going back to analogs.

Thanks for reading. Thoughts? Opinions? Corrections? New information I'm not aware of?

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
I don't feel like a guinea pig, as much that I realize that I was a sucker and a junkie for BT for half my life. In the US, abt 80% of the cost of cigs was tax, and this will never go down. "Tax the addicts' is always a safe policy.

I always knew it, deep down. I would cough and cough, and mumble to myself "Yeah, I need to quit. Maybe someday". Once I vaped for a few months, I felt *so* much better, and I didn't think that I felt bad in the first place.

That said, welcome to ECF, guitarzilla, what do you play? I have a couple of Les Pauls and an acoustic, but I'm really a keyboard guy.

vocr

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2011
Manila, RP
What I don't understand is why there isn't an independent body which has stepped in to do chem analysis on the juice? Forget the FDA, that is a waste, those guys are as corrupt as your congress and I wouldn't trust them. I wouldn't trust my FDA either, as corrupt as yours, just their gross is much less for the same corruption.

I looked into chem testing of juice after going back and forth with a vendor (this one: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...quid-watered-down-hardware-fake-cheaters.html). Its not cheap but its not prohibitively expensive either for an NGO to take it up. I found a lab that will do prelim testing on the juice for P12k but it potentially goes up to P28k if they need to do more in depth analysis.

If a consumer NGO is already setup for chem testing, it would take very little to add juice testing to their repertoire. Maybe something one of the ecig NGOs could look into?

b4cz28

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Spring TX (Houston)
My uncle aka okie on the forum has been vaping for about three years. He was going to be put on ox in a few months. He swapped over to ecigs and his blood sat level has gone to 96%. His doctor was amazed. His doctor has tested and tested him and after three years his lungs have never been clearer and his health never better.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
My uncle aka okie on the forum has been vaping for about three years. He was going to be put on ox in a few months. He swapped over to ecigs and his blood sat level has gone to 96%. His doctor was amazed. His doctor has tested and tested him and after three years his lungs have never been clearer and his health never better.

With all due respect, the lungs are only one part of the equation ..

Carmiol

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2011
Costa Rica
What I don't understand is why there isn't an independent body which has stepped in to do chem analysis on the juice? Forget the FDA, that is a waste, those guys are as corrupt as your congress and I wouldn't trust them. I wouldn't trust my FDA either, as corrupt as yours, just their gross is much less for the same corruption.

I looked into chem testing of juice after going back and forth with a vendor (this one: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...quid-watered-down-hardware-fake-cheaters.html). Its not cheap but its not prohibitively expensive either for an NGO to take it up. I found a lab that will do prelim testing on the juice for P12k but it potentially goes up to P28k if they need to do more in depth analysis.

If a consumer NGO is already setup for chem testing, it would take very little to add juice testing to their repertoire. Maybe something one of the ecig NGOs could look into?

I am importing ecigs to Costa Rica. In order to do everything legal, I had a couple of samples of eliquid tested by the government lab of Customs. They did a full study of the ingredients and didnt find anything unsafe.

They classified eliquids in a import category that doesnt even needs permits from the Ministry of Health. (which is uncommon for something of human consumption).

I asked one of the chemist guys there and they said that the percentage of flavorings is so low (less that 20%), that it is not a risk for human consumption.

I know they didnt do thorough tests involving users, but at least they didnt find anything weird in the ingredients.

countrygirl1291

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2011
Texas
The problem with getting any government agency involved, FDA included, is that it's the beginning of a long slide toward the implementation of taxes on e-cigs and liquid at a level just like they reached with analogs. The analog taxes keep getting higher and higher, and the pool of smokers keeps getting smaller and smaller. Eventually, the government will have killed their Golden Tax Goose and will start looking around for a replacement. When that happens, look out. I'm actually amazed they haven't started yet.

And as far as being a guinea pig, I'd rather that than the alternative, which is to possibly die of an analog-related disease while the government takes years and years to do its study. And you don't ever want to forget -- studies are no guarantee, either. A quick google yielded this information:

FDA-Approved Drugs withdrawn after deadly results

1. Posicor/mibefradil
2. Duract/bromfenac
3. Hismanal/astemizole
4. Raxar/grepafloxacin
5. Rezulin/troglitazone
6. Propulsid/cisapride
7. Lotronex/alosetron
8. Raplon/rapacuronium bromide
9. Baycol/cerivastatin
10. Vioxx / rofecoxib​

Last edited: