Anybody else spending a ton of money? Dissatisfied?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilooman

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Indian Trail, NC
I also would suggest cartomizers if the filling and maintenance of the carts is what is bothering you. I started on a 510 and got so frustrated I wanted to SCREAM just like you did, lol. Switched to a vaporking from vapor4life and cartos and all is well. I calculated how much I used to spend on tobacco and I try to spend that much each month to start stocking up. Usually about 50.00 on blank cartos and 70.00-80.00 on juices from TV. It's WAY more than I need for the month so I know it's cheaper than smoking. Just keep experimenting until you find what is just right for you, everybody is different. It's worth it in the end!

MonkySlap

Feb 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Me personally am very happy with moving to e-cigs. But I did alot of research first and ended up getting the joye 510 with PCC. I was happy with that at first but then the vaping bug caught me. Now I own a 510, Bartleby, JuiceBox, and just ordered a Wet Box lol. So yeah I prob spend more vaping then smoking, but it pays off in health and also the conversation starters you get when you go into a bar and start vaping. There hasnt been a night I have not gone out and been asked what my ecig was. Have even got a few numbers from it too ;). I would say be patient, maybe invest in a diff e-cig but do some research first. This comunity is great and willing to help both new and old vapers.

vapinmachine

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
There's a lot of sound advice in this thread! I sympathize with the OP because I too felt the exact same way when I first started vaping. I spent way more than $150, can't remember exactly how much, but I'm thinking around $500 in 2 months just to give vaping up. I made a ton of mistakes.

I can say that after I bought all my backup batteries, attys, carts, and formed a comprehensive plan on maintenance, I am spending a lot less than $60.00 a week on smoking, thus saving money.

The learning curve, however, is extremely expensive and one can waste a ton of money in the process. To think that I spent $60.00 on an nPro, then $30 + tax on 5 replacement carts for it at a gas station makes me cringe now. I recently purchased 260ml of 35mg juice for $80 bucks, and because I can cut it and only use 20-30ml a week I'm saving WAY more than the $60 a week I blew on cigs.

MY personal advice for new vapers is here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...3-how-i-have-sucessfully-switched-vaping.html

topaz_stone71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Central Ohio
Can't say I'm saving a lot of money yet either. Too many new toys and with my ADD, I get a bit obsessive when I start something new. I now have a ton of juice, back up attys 3 mods, the KR808s and 510s (that I hardly use now- should pass them on).

I will say I am so glad that my house doesn't stink, my car is slowly smelling better, and my cough-variant asthma has subsided (allergy season still causes me some problems there). I can mow my lawn without getting short of breath. I don't burn my hair on the lit end of cigs, I don't burn my clothes and when the pup jumps on me, I don't have to do the defensive arm jerk to keep from burning her. I think it is well worth the money I'm spending. Plus, it is pretty fun trying out all the flavors.

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
Dubs58 said:
For Real Dude?? All that dark lettering? Bashing what YOU bought then saying Good night?

This forum is filled with infomation !! I cant believe your going to come in here and whine & blast off without reading (learning) and then try to make everyone else think Your right ! You made a decision on what You bought not us. If you want to learn here's a good place to start http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...st-electronic-cigarette-first-time-vaper.html
There are many others like this within the forum, you may need to do some searching.
Take it easy dude...

IMWylde

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2010
USA
I must have gotten really lucky. I picked up a 501 kit and pass through locally after the guy gave me a couple hits to get a feel for what I was getting into. I used it about a week before i realized that the short batt life and carts/attys/filling were going to be a PITA so I ordered up a box of cartos and a Bartleby mod. Problems solved!

I haven't quite found the juice I'm looking for but all in all Ive got about 180 bux into the habit and been going for 4 weeks. 4 weeks of Analogs cost me 165$ I'll break even in the next few days.

I haven't had one analog since I started vaping. I have no urge to combust. And this after smoking for 30 years.

I feel bad for the OP I can tell he is frustrated. But I wish he wouldn't try to dissuade people from trying.

Nyxie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Port Richey, Fl.
I just need to know that i'm not alone. I spent 75.00 on the E-cig kit, Another 50 dollars on getting carts and e-liquid. Now i find that i need to spend another 25 dollars for Attys? Good night! Am i really saving that much money on these things? Plus the aggravation of dripping and blowing and batteries and cleaning. I'm down to my last REAL cigarette and i can tell you that i wish someone had warned me that e-cigarettes are more hassle than they are worth. Plus just as expensive as cigarettes. I am getting so frustrated that i spent all this money on them only to find out that they are second rate at best. If you are a newbie and considering getting them....DON'T! I'm so mad about this whole thing...i wish i had never let myself get this kit!

I felt this exact way last yr when I started. I went to a mall kiosk (White Cloud) and bought a kit for 149.99, I also got one for my Mom and a friend and got a 10% discount for all three, luckily they paid me back. I also got some cartos those where 5 for 19.99. I was told they were worth 2 packs each. Great , I thought and bought about 4 packs because I hate driving to the mall I was at and didn't want to run out before my next trip there.

I went home and vaped my brains out for about an hour. Battery died, good thing the kit came with 2. I vaped my head off for another hour, umm other battery wasnt done charging yet. Geez what a pain. smoked a few cigs ( I refuse to call them analogs) battery charged again . I started the same process over again. This time my 2 pack worth carto was tasting kind of crappy, now I changed the carto and this went on for a day or two. Then the battery wasnt working right. I drove all the way back to that stupid mall I hate to get a new battery, I also bought yet another battery for 49.99 thinking I would have a spare. Oh ya I got some more packs of cartos too.
Meanwhile I became frustrated because the stuff I had was crap, yet I was amazed at the amount of cigs I was not smoking even with the crappy stuff I had. I obsessed over the ecigs on the internet and found Leaford's blog. I became obsessed with following Leaford's blog. it really use to upset me that he didn't post sometimes for weeks. I would worry about his wel being a lot.
I figured out from Leaford that white clouds were ltv9 batteries aka smoke 51 or loong totem etc etc blah blah blah. First I ordered from Smoke 51 another 150$ plus cartos. Then, I ordered directly from china. 100 cartos and 10 or so batteries with what money I had left. I figured I would have enough to last and not deal with these mall jerks any more (wrong). I spent at least 600$ on crap from china on top of what ever I spent on the mall crap. I had to once again go to the mall to exchange another battery only to find out they have a new supplier and they don't have my batteries any more. Great just great! Would they exchange my still good cartos that woould not fit on thier "new and improved battery" NO! So I ended up finding out about kr808 stuff too. I then ordered a smoking everywhere kit. HAH! what a joke. More wasted money. More leaford's blog. I stopped vaping all together when all my china stuff ran out . I was disgusted completely, not to mention my ex smoking hubby was trying to steal my ecigs too. I decided e cigs were not for me. But I was still obsessed for some reason.
I found the ECF (through Leaford's blog) and read and read and kept hearing about this thing called a vapor king and I kept hearing about this guy smilin. I waited for the website to show up and when it finally did. I never had enough gut left to order yet another piece o crap. I was also now broke because I had spent way more then I cared to on crappy ecigs and was still smoking cigs too.
Finally I think in November I decided I would try again after hearing Leaford talk about v4l so much. I bought the biggest kit they had and some cartos. And here I am now. Like all the people back then were bragging about this guy smilin, I will too( no I am not a v4l groupie either). Thanks to v4l and the ECF and Leaford getting me going again, I am no longer frustrated daily and can afford to vape and even screw up ordering a gross juice here and there.
So With all that said I really hope you don't think this way forever and try again with a better kit.

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
I sympathize with the OP's frustration, it does seem like a lot of $ at first. Much depends on how pricey analogs are where you live ($11/pack now in NYC?!!) But over a few months - if you can restrain your impulse to keep trying lots of new gear and juices, and patiently work with what you have, the saving quickly adds up. At the rate I was doing analogs, (1/2 pack of American Spirit Yellow per day) I spent about $35-40 a week. That gave me a starting budget of about $150 to equal a month's consumption.

I paid more than necessary for my 2-unit 510 kit with just a wall charger and two 10 ml bottles of juice to start, because I was in a hurry (had an all-day event coming up where analogs were a total no-go). I had read just enough to know I wanted to try DIY but I didn't order that stuff until a week after getting the 510 kit. I spent about $135 on getting started, but I'm pretty well equipped because I did a lot of research. I've stealth vaped through some stressful days (including a funeral) and it's kept me sane. My last analog was 5/18.

I got my DIY kit from ecigsmokestore.com and couldn't be more pleased about the "mad scientist" experimentation process and learning how to make all this stuff work. I've cleaned my attys a few times, I use the blue filler mod, and now I'm clearly ahead of the game cost-wise. I still have 2 original 24 meg cartridges left, as I really like making my own flavors. So the next thing I'm getting is a supply of cartomizers to enjoy cleaner flavor changes, and preserve my original attys. A USB passthrough looks like a good idea to preserve my original batteries. And I've still got LOTS of juice supply left, enough for a few weeks more.

So I'm a very happy camper, thanks to extensive reading of this forum, and pacing my rate of investment in equipment. Research and patience has paid off for me!

Trance

Jun 7, 2010
Texas
Depending on what you get the initial investment can be slightly expensive for some people. But honestly...how much does a pack of cigarettes cost where you're at? Because here it costs about 6.50 for a pack of M Lights, and even more for something like parliaments, and if you smoke two packs a day like I did, thats 13 a day for those things. You only need one or two batteries to really start, same thing with the atomizers, which you might only need to replace once a month..which usually cost about $8. And the liquid I buy cost 4.75 a bottle, and empty carts $3 for 5. So..it might end up costing somewhere between $25 and $50 a month just for liquid and the occasional atty..Now thats alot better then a nearly $300 a month cigarette habit...

You have to really want to stop smoking cigarettes for these to work..your body is addicted to the chemicals in them probably about as much as it is the nicotine..so it's kindof hard..but if you really wanna stop..and you aren't constantly buying new gadgets..just buy a good model and stick with it for a while..then it really is alot cheaper

Synthnadz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2009
Florida
I've probably spent over $3,000 on vaping supplies over the past year. About $500 was wasted on overcoming the 'learning curve' and a few rash decisions, while the rest was spent on various mods and building the 2 year stockpile that I've accumulated.

In any case, I didn't spend $2000 this year on analogs, so that puts me at +$1000, but with the next two years completely paid for in advance. So, I'm pretty pleased with where I'm at.

I also look at it this way: if someone had offered me a new breakthrough operation that cost $3000 and would save my life by getting me off cigarettes while allowing me to still 'smoke' something that I actually like better, I would've taken them up on it in a heartbeat. Sounds like a dream come true, doesn't it?

5thelephant

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2010
USA
Since April 1st I have spent $946.44 on vaping supplies and associated shipping costs; Overpriced starter kits, 510 supplies, Ego, carts, cart mods, liquid, GGTS, batteries, chargers, cartos, etc.

In that time I would have spent roughly $575 on analogs. That nets me a loss of $371.44.

The chart of my spending behavior is pointing toward a reasonable upkeep cost, compared with the price of cigarettes. While that comparison is noteworthy and often mentioned here, what is important is that I can afford it and that it makes me happy.

The larger costs are fewer and less frequent as I get the hang of this and find my groove. I suspect that is not uncommon.

Jonmo1

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Bryan, TX
Saving money is the wrong reason for Vaping.

I'd gladly spend my entire paycheck every week, and live in a dump of an aparment on my wife's paycheck. If it could get me off cigarettes.

I literally could not care less how much my PV supplies cost.
I'm not smoking cigarettes because of them.
That is a BIG deal.
That is priceless.

That said, there is definately a high up front cost while you learn.
Learn HOW to vape (there is a tecnique to it)
Learn which device works best for you
Learn which liquids you like best

It is work (no one said 'not smoking' would be easy)

But it is SOOOOOO worth it.

Chin up, persevere, you'll get through it.

Most of all, you're in the right place.
Ask questions, read and read and read.

You'll eventually find the sweet spot with the right device and juice.
And once you find the device and liquid that works for you, the savings will begin.
You can EASILY spend less than half of what you would normally spend on cigarettes.

Last edited:

Toker

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Georgia
Come here and vent anytime. Most of us have been through it. Some will try the verbal slap to get your attention and some will try a more maternalistic helpful tone, but everyone is trying to help.

You know the device has promise, or you wouldn't have come this far.

You have a good foundation with the 510, but, sorry, it's just the beginning. The hard part is ahead. Learning to vape correctly. It seems silly, but it's a huge step toward satisfaction. And it's not even the hard part.

The hardest part, for most of us on this journey, is the juice. Finding the flavors that bring real satisfaction. Then the nic level that kills the cravings. Like many here, I disliked every flavor that sounded good and ended up finding "that" flavor with one I bought on a wild whim that sounded completely weird.

I also did not have a set "quit" date. I smoked as I needed and vaped when I could. Took my time and one day realized I did not smoke the day before. I still have 9 packs from a carton in the back of my vehicle and no desire to smoke them.

So, breathe. Relax. Get another pack of cigs. Read around on here and vape. Take it as it comes. Take the stress of quitting out of the equation.

That's the best advise anyone can give. :thumb:

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've been vaping for a few days short of 2 years now & I don't regret anything I have bought. OK, atties die & there is one mod I bought that I wasn't 100% happy with but that was just due to a personal preference.

Have I saved money - yes a small fortune - this ticker is based on the absolute minimum I used to spend on real cigs every day :-

[FONT="]
360.png
[/FONT]

Shaka

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Honolulu, HI
...I also did not have a set "quit" date... Took my time and one day realized I did not smoke the day before...
...So, breathe. Relax. Get another pack of cigs. Read around on here and vape. Take it as it comes. Take the stress of quitting out of the equation.

I gotta say Hoosier, I enjoy reading every one of your posts. I look at your avatar and I see a picture of someone who just came in from the mountains (sorry, but that was my 1st impression, lol). But the words and wisdom that comes off your keyboard are always profound and inspirational. Just wanted to express my appreciation!

Hey WB!

Everything we do in vaping is relative, and to me $$ aint even in the equation. I smoked 1+ for 45 yrs and last was spending over $350/ month ($4,000+ year).

Knowing what I know now, I would continue to vape even it cost more than smoking...absolutely!! Because the true "cost" of smoking is your quality of life, and maybe even your life itself. And $$ don't even enter this cost.

Just heed Hoosier's advice and just keep the faith and stay the course!

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Should just add to my above post that even splashing the cash on a GG Grant over a year ago (still working as good as the day I bought it) & a GGTS more recently, I've still saved a fortune. Lol, the amount I've saved, I could have bought a new mod each month if I had wanted/needed to do so :) In fact IMHO, buying good quality mods helps you save money in the long run - for starters batteries are so much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread