Travel and Vaping Anybody vaped on an airplane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oski

Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA.
I'm planning to fly this Summer and I'm concerned about getting myvaping gear past the TSA carry-on inspection check point. Has any body done this/ Have any tips on how its best done? I' like to hear about this soon- to put my mind at ease. I'm a nube. Been vaping for about a month. DSE901 so far. I just ordered a 501 and am eargerly awaiting its arrival after all the good things I've read here. I love this forum.Losing a lot of sleep here. I like SleepHaters posts. Also noticed a lot of "Is" in this paragraph. So will wait to hear from you all.
Oski

Coldfire

Jun 11, 2009
Florida,USA
There are a few posts on this forum ain general discussion I believe about this topic.

Many people vape on planes, most of the people who have say they go to the bathroom to do it or just exhale when people arent looking.

I have read two different threads of someone vapeing in the bathroom of a plane and exhaling directly into the smoke detector. One person said it went off, another person said it didnt. Just in case I would educate a flight attendant about the e-cig (quick overview that its not smoke that you exhale its water vapor) before trotting off to the bathroom just in case it does happen to go off.

Personally if I were to fly, I would vape in the restroom and as long as you dont directly exhale onto the detector feel comfortable knowing it wont go off.

I'll try to find those threads to link for you.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Howdy Oski:

there are a few of us here who have been traveling for years. One of our members is an Airline FA.

Vaping on the plane is a touchy subject. Some airlines like Southwest, American Airlines, and a few others have added the e-cig to their list of items which you cannot use in flight.

If you have the need to vape during a flight, go to the lav, close the door, and take a few hits from your PV. Just be sure to blow the vapor down toward the floor or in the sink, if there is a suction drain system. Blowing the vapor upward, in rare cases my set off the smoke alarm.

As Far as security goes, your e-cig's will go through with no problem. They are not illegal, so the TSA doesn't care about them. Just make sure you place your liquid in the required baggie with your other liquids and gels.

Have a safe trip, and don't worry.
Cheers;
jd

Last edited:

epiper

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, California
I'm planning to fly this Summer and I'm concerned about getting myvaping gear past the TSA carry-on inspection check point. Has any body done this/ Have any tips on how its best done? I' like to hear about this soon- to put my mind at ease. I'm a nube. Been vaping for about a month. DSE901 so far. I just ordered a 501 and am eargerly awaiting its arrival after all the good things I've read here. I love this forum.Losing a lot of sleep here. I like SleepHaters posts. Also noticed a lot of "Is" in this paragraph. So will wait to hear from you all.
Oski

I'm using DSE601 e-pipe. Have been thru TSA with it 4 times so far, and about 10 different airports overseas. Never a problem: I just take it from my pocket and put in the same tray with cell phone, etc.

epiper

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, California
Howdy Oski:
Vaping on the plane is a touchy subject. Some airlines like Southwest, American Airlines, and a few others have added the e-cig to their list of items which you cannot use in flight.

Yes, I actually made an American Airlines' FA show me the relevant part in their manual. It's just 1 line in a very thick book.

The beauty is that most FAs still don't know about this. So I'm vaping away completely in the open on AA flights, and just that single time had a problem. She mentioned the line in the manual, and apologized for my inconvenience.

Other airlines I flew in the past few weeks (BA, JAL, Cathay) never had any problem with open e-pipe vaping in flight.

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
I can say with complete certainty that TSA will have no problem with e-cigs. Though I will say the 901 looks rather suspicious on the x-ray. I work for the TSA and I vape. I ran my 901 through the x-ray and it looks exactly like something that should not be allowed through the security checkpoint. It will not get stopped every time as there are other items that look like this but just be aware that a TSO may want to run a test on your bag with the e-cig in it.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Howdy 13ways:

Welcome aboard. I hope you check out this forum regularly, because there are a lot of questions about security. I meet the TSA folks 2 to 4 times a week. Been traveling 40+ years, but it's good to get some first hand information from the horses mouth.

PTJD and RIAFlight25 are extensive travelers too. They're around here somewhere.

Later guy;
jd

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
I am never 'ghost vaping' in my seat again! On Friday, after a few beers, and a lengthy delay on the tarmac, I pulled my penstyle out of my pocket and took a good pull to hold in. Great! Took another, and what happened? I coughed. Vapour everywhere. It disappeared with some rapid, trying-to-be-subtle waving - but that was SCARY! Me --> :oops:

Be careful!

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
Yes, I actually made an American Airlines' FA show me the relevant part in their manual. It's just 1 line in a very thick book.

The beauty is that most FAs still don't know about this. So I'm vaping away completely in the open on AA flights, and just that single time had a problem. She mentioned the line in the manual, and apologized for my inconvenience.

Other airlines I flew in the past few weeks (BA, JAL, Cathay) never had any problem with open e-pipe vaping in flight.

What did the other passengers say?
Surely they thought you were smoking?

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I fly a lot and personally prefer vaping in the bathroom of the airport unless there is a smoking section. I don't want to rub anyone's face in my vaping. I also do the hold it in method. Better safe than sorry.

Whatever works for you, I prefer a discreet vape at the seat, been vaping for close to 2 years now and fly a lot without any problems. Now JD also flys a lot but prefers the Lavatory, works for him.

I can assure you, that more and more Flight Attendants are learning about vaping each day. Of course, I vape but I dont count. :p

Airlines are aware of PV use onboard their a/c, and the potential issues that may arise (Literally) and are beginning to educate their crews during intial and recurrent training.

At least one airline that I know has begun training their crews to recognize behaviors associated with stealth vaping.

Just be careful, and make wise choices. If you go stealth, just make sure that if you are caught, apologize profusely, and plead pure ignorance. The vast MAJORITY of us flight attendants want you guys to enjoy our flights.

From another viewpoint (IE Mine/Crew) we like to have uneventful flights as well. You would be amazed at the mounds of paperwork that is involved with the simplest of situations onboard an aircraft, yes even simple verbal warnings.

Safe travels,
RIAFlight25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread