Anyone else have trouble with their Hippo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA
+1 for what kas said. I have a variety of each smok, Boge and IKV cartos. When these threads started popping up and I tried all the different ones I have and all of them screwed into the hippo and made contact(checked using a meter). Might be a bad batch of Hippo's :(

I first thought it was a few ikenvape cartos but now the kayfun....read somewhere earlier with some others having issues but didn't read a solution,maybe I should contact them. Is the hippo totally necessary for the kayfun or Sophia? I have Loki rings,etc. thanks

Splatnext

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2013
near the beach
Oh god I hope I'm not talking wind out of my own behind, but the KFL+ has its own airflow control system built in you should not need a Hippo for airflow control a Loki ring to make it look nice on your ProVari should do it.

All I have is a knock off of the KFL and it does fine with just a beauty ring.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
I first thought it was a few ikenvape cartos but now the kayfun....read somewhere earlier with some others having issues but didn't read a solution,maybe I should contact them. Is the hippo totally necessary for the kayfun or Sophia? I have Loki rings,etc. thanks

I am using my sophia's in my Loki SS1 tanks, with my Loki pro-rings, with the design of the SS1, there is no air flow issues, so I use the rings. I can also use the rings with my Kayfun's, but I like the look on the hippo, if sometime I get another tank with air flow issues, I will change it, but I am really liking the SS1's.

KAS

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
I'm having a similar problem. When I first got it, all my tanks seemed to work fine (smok pyrex udct, boge f16, davide bdc, aerotank, nautilus). Then, my aerotank stopped making contact. I am aware of the center pin and started adjusting it with a screw driver. I went in small increments till I reached all the way to the top. Still no go on the aero tank, but all the others were still working. Now my boge f16 tank stopped working with it also. I thought maybe it is not making contact with my provari from the bottom, so I pushed the hippo center ring down a bit so that it would protrude from the bottom making a better connection with the provari, and using a screw driver raised the center pin so it can make a better connection with the tank. It's now working again with the Boge F16 (just barely), and still not with the aerotank. To me it seems that even with the center pin raised as far as it will go up without coming off, it's still not high enough.

What about putting some Noalox on the threads?

The only thing I didn't try is tightining it down with a wrench, I'm afraid to do this and end up pushing down my provari pin.

Do I have a defect? Do they need to make a V3 with a higher adjustable center pin? Is it safe to wrench tighten it?

thanks

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Okay, looking suggestions and reccomendations.....I had noted In other threads that I had issues with the ikenvape cartos screwing into the hippo, it would bind up as if threading was mismatched, so my solution was to not use the combination together. I just received my KFL+ and its a no go either, only a couple turns into the hippo v2 and it binds up!! Is the air control feature of the hippo necessary with the KFL and is there a solution other than not using the hippo?? I actually like to just use the hippo as a ring if nothing else especially with what it cost!! I cant remember if it is the Sophia or the KFL+ that the hippo v2 is a big plus to have!?! Please chime in!
Take the Hippo off the ProVari. Screw the KFL+ into the ProVari, unscrew, repeat. Put Hippo back on the ProVari, Screw the KFL+ back on the Hippo, as tight as it will go. Back it off a bit, repeat.

My Kayfun would fit on the Hippo, but not the ProVari. The ProVari's stainless threads are tougher than the Hippo's so bear that in mind before you do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread