Anyone else here have an appreciation for modern firearms..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, KY
So I'm looking to see if I can slightly merge my two main online forum interests; e-cigs and guns. If I'm cruising forums and I'm not here, chances are I'm over at the akfiles.

So, who else here is "into" boomsticks? They could be any style, but personally; I'm a Kalashniphile.
Ha, I thought I was the only republican on the forum. I have a custom ar-15, a springfield xd-40, a ruger 10/22, a taurus tcp 380, and a S&W model 6906 9mm
Less interesting toys include a reo grand, vmod xl, kamry k101, and a pair of zmaxes

Jonathan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, KY
(home defense)
1) Shotgun: Mossberg 500, 18" barrel, top fold stock, light mounted
2) .38 Special (Rohm- the original Saturday Night Special LOL)

Wife's HD: Beretta U22 Neos

(Punching paper)
1) Ruger 10/22 with Archangel Deluxe Target stock 12x scope
2) Ruger 10/22 custom build from ground up using a Nordic Components chassis and AR-15 furniture

(Zombie killing)
1) DPMS AR-15 with Magpul adjustable stock, free float handguard, 3lb trigger, Primary Arms compact 3x scope
2) Backup zombie killer still in the works, will be another AR-15 that I'm building to be as lightweight as possible- I have all the parts in hand, just waiting for a custom engraved billet lower to be delivered.
How do you like the archangel kit? Do you find it to be worth the money/ affect acurracy either way?

Tom Servo

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
United States
While I'm browsing through old folders, here's a nickel S&W 27 from 1977:

27_left2_800.jpg

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I appreciate modern firearms.....

But they just can't compare to my two latest additions....

1943 US Army issued Remington Rand M1911 A1

IMG_1103A-1.jpg

And a hand built Kentucky Long Rifle. This is NOT from a kit, the ONLY pieces on this gun that were prefabricated were the barrel and the internal trigger mechanism. Everything else is hand built.

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg

You just don't find craftsmanship like that in a modern weapon.

But, like I said, I appreciate modern weapons too. After all, that long rifle isn't exactly a good CCL weapon.

But these are.

204006_Kahr_PM9_ExtS2.jpg

guns.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Servo

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
United States
I appreciate modern firearms.....

But they just can't compare to my two latest additions
That depends on how we define "modern," I suppose. Repeating action? Smokeless powder? Self-contained cartridges? Falling blocks?

Firearms go back over 600 years, and despite some technological advances, the underlying principle is pretty much the same.

It does give me a chuckle when someone brings me a gun from the 1970's, calling it an antique.

Here's a model 66 from that rather ancient time:

66-4_800.jpg

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
That depends on how we define "modern," I suppose. Repeating action? Smokeless powder? Self-contained cartridges? Falling blocks?

I think there are 3 basic definitions that most people would not dispute.

First is the obvious legal definition. Any firearm made from January 1st, 1900 on is modern.

The second would be history based. Any gun that is mass produced by machinery in a factory is modern. Prior to the industrial revolution all guns were hand made.

The third is the one I think is being used the most here, which is any gun that entered into production in this middle-aged living generation is modern. They are produced to tolerances and use materials that were beyond the technology of just a few decades ago. While a gun design from 100 years ago could be produced today (Colt 1911 for instance) a modern designed gun could not have been produced 100 years ago (such as the polymer framed Ruger SR22).

That's why I would not call that Kentucky Long Rifle a modern gun despite the fact that my dad built it about 10 years ago, but I do consider my Colt 1991 A1 a modern gun despite the fact it's based on the 103 year old Colt 1911 frame.

But it does bring up some interesting questions. Does my 1952 Korean War M1 Garand count as a modern weapon?

Last edited:

Tom Servo

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
United States
I think there are 3 basic definitions that most people would not dispute.
Actually, a fourth definition would be the legal one, which includes anything manufactured within the last 50 years. But I was being facetious. My point was that we all have different benchmarks for what we consider "modern."

Heck, the M16 is over 50 years old as a design now, and I still think of it as modern.

But it does bring up some interesting questions. Does my 1952 Korean War M1 Garand count as a modern weapon?
Does it kill Nazis? Then, heck yes it does! :laugh:

Actually, I'd have to say the M14 design is pretty much the modern iteration. Still, I'm not parting with any of my Garands.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Does it kill Nazis? Then, heck yes it does! :laugh:

Actually, I'd have to say the M14 design is pretty much the modern iteration. Still, I'm not parting with any of my Garands.

It is 30.06, not the .308. It also has it's original bayonet.

I've also got a Winchester M1 Carbine. It has four 30 round magazines for it already loaded.... just in case the zombie apocalypse starts.
:blush:

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
How do you like the archangel kit? Do you find it to be worth the money/ affect acurracy either way?

I love the Archangel kit, and have found it to be very accurate. I like it so much that when my sons bought me the HTA 90-22 stock for Xmas, I had to chose between my two 10/22's as to which one to tear apart to be the donor. And I picked the custom Nordic build to be the donor, even though I have a lot more money into that build.

XJ-linux

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
I'm surprised no one has commented on the fact that the hammer is cocked on my Colt 1991. Bet you'll never guess which is my bedside weapon.

Why comment, the safety is on? I've been in fist fights and rolling around on the ground wrestling with cocked and locked Series 70 Colts without issue.

Side note: Did you know the original 1911 design didn't have a thumb safety? It was only added at the request of the Cavalry as they though it might be safer when riding?

Tom Servo

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
United States
Side note: Did you know the original 1911 design didn't have a thumb safety? It was only added at the request of the Cavalry as they though it might be safer when riding?
Same with the grip safety. The gun was often attached to a lanyard, and if it went flapping about, something could snag the trigger.

4Yankee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2014
United States
2yna8ama.jpg

My pride and joy. 357 Blackhawk that I did some work on. Replaced Springs and polished trigger face, pull is a crisp and clean 1.5 pounds. replaced hammer with one from a super Blackhawk, low and wide. Replaced grips with some white micarta ones from Hogue. Belt mountain cylinder pin and retention spring. Wish I could afford real ivories. The one gun that's never for sale.

Sent from my mind using telepathy

Mailablemage

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
Medford Or
What exactly do you mean by modern? While i don't have a firearm yet, the missus is requiring that i get a ccw once we move up to oregon. I wasn't planning on getting one, but if it makes her feel safe knowing i have a pistol then ill do it. My thing is though, i have a thing for the classics. Wheel guns and bolt actions are my cup of tea. I was actually looking at the S&W judge as my carry pistol.

I have know idea why but i could never get in to AR models. I have nothing against them, but i wouldn't buy one. I dunno maybe it comes from my grand fathers love of world war 2 era rifles. I grew up shooting m1 garands and kar98ks

4Yankee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2014
United States
What exactly do you mean by modern? While i don't have a firearm yet, the missus is requiring that i get a ccw once we move up to oregon. I wasn't planning on getting one, but if it makes her feel safe knowing i have a pistol then ill do it. My thing is though, i have a thing for the classics. Wheel guns and bolt actions are my cup of tea. I was actually looking at the S&W judge as my carry pistol.

I have know idea why but i could never get in to AR models. I have nothing against them, but i wouldn't buy one. I dunno maybe it comes from my grand fathers love of world war 2 era rifles. I grew up shooting m1 garands and kar98ks

I prefer guns that work when I want them to and I'm a caliber that can put down whatever I need it to. No need for all that high capacity tacticrap when one well placed shot does the trick. And that's coming from a combat veteran.

Sent from my mind using telepathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread