Anyone give up on the Lipton Pyramid Tea Bag filler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie20009

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2009
Indiana
I also gave up on the tea bags. It was a hit/miss for me also. When they worked they worked great for about 24-36 hours then needed a re-roll but I was constantly working with them.

Switched to the Y brass screen and love it. I use 3 3/4" screens for a 901. Lots of vapor, and the screen lasts for weeks with no fiddling at all. Bought them on ebay.

just-a-nobody

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Northeastern Minnesota
I gave up on the ptb. It seemed like to much hassle after awhile. I now use the spring mod, only I have the spring going up and down, instead of horizontal. I am using a small piece of a green 3M scouring pad as my filler, and the results are the best I have experienced yet. I haven't tried the wool filler yet, but that's next on my list.

Winace

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I gave up on the ptb. It seemed like to much hassle after awhile. I now use the spring mod, only I have the spring going up and down, instead of horizontal. I am using a small piece of a green 3M scouring pad as my filler, and the results are the best I have experienced yet. I haven't tried the wool filler yet, but that's next on my list.

Don't bother with the wool. After extensive testing, do not use anything absorbative. The blue foam, as the pad you are using (assuming), do not absorb, but they hold the liquid from free-flowing. You need to use something that is less absorbative than the atomizer bridge. Since the bridge does not absorb, it wicks, any absorbative material will pull liquid away from the bridge. Fluid will flow from in the direction of the most absorbative material in its path, so the most absorbative material has to be at the coil. Using a non-absorbative material to transfer to a non absorbative bridge without dumping the entire contents of the cart is the trick. The degree of porousness (air spaces within the material) of the plug has the greatest impact. You want something as open as possible yet will not flow freely. The viscosity of your liquid will impact this also. The more viscous (thicker) the fluid is, the more openess of the material you can use. You will want to mix all your liquids to a contant visousity when possible, or compress/decompress the plug material accordingly.

The only way an absorbative material transfers fluid to the bridge is once it has reached its saturation point (can not hold any more liquid). When the saturation point is not longer exceeded (ie cart runs dry) the material will hold liquid and no longer transfer liquid to the bridge. Hence, the material will always stay wet and the bridge will go dry (hence the coil goes dry).

Last edited:

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
All I use is the stock filler material. It is clean and works better than anything I have tried. I take it out and wash it in hot water or diluted everclear. Comes back to it's original new color and texture. I have never thrown away the filler for any of my carts. If you pay attention and groom the top of the cart you will never get any loose fibers caught in the atty. What can I say, it just works day in and day out.

Kevin

jacko

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
NW Tennessee
I have tried the PTB and the spring (spring standing up in the cart) but today I tried taking one of the tea bags out of a cart. I cut the PTB in half so that I could roll about half of the material...I took the original cart material (I have been saving when I replace it), spread it somewhat thin and placed it onto the PTB and rolled both up together. filled the cart halfway with juice and placed the sandwiched material into the cart. Vapes great so far. I will find out how long this lasts, but it really seems to be working great so far. Has anyone else tried this?

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI

Ditto on the spring and green pad. Except I'm using a blue pad! ;-)

So far, this is the best I've ever had on my 510 w/ a 901 whistle tip. By a long shot.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Well, I just tried two 510 cart mods: PTB and a ploy cleaning spunge (CVS generic), both with the straw. The PTB works well, amazing at wicking and filling is a breeze...even VG juice goes right in with drops. I was using the regular filler with straw, and using a syringe to fill in through the straw, but I don't this the syringe is so important now with the PTB. Flavor and vaping are both good, but don't seem to vape as long as the regular filler.

The cleaning sponge is almost the same as original filler, in all respects that I can tell, although my original filler is woolier, the sponge more, well, like a sponge. The ones I got were soapfilled out of the box, so about 3 minutes of hot water to get that out. The sponges don't seem to have directionality to the mess, so I just cut a strip off one side about .5 cm thick, folded it in half and with precut straw, inserted it into the cart all the way down, then cut off excess at top, so that the top of the new filler is flush with the edges of the cart. This filler may yield plastic flavor with time, but for tonight its working like a champ. Same with the PTB...seems to be working great.

Of course time will tell, but since I am just using mooby's PTB method, the hands-on time involved is no different than what I'm used to trying to reuse cleaned fillers, and both the PTB and sponge will probably last longer than the wooly original filler. I usually take the time to make up a dozen or so carts at a time, and then just keep them around as I need them. Sure its a little time consuming and can be a bit tedious, but the more hands on I am with something like this, the more it reminds me of why I'm doing it in the first place, and also the more likely I'll come up with some sort of improvement, which is one of the really fun parts of this whole journey.

Now if only this butter rum I'm trying for the first time didn't become so sickly sweet after a bit. Nice idea, but REALLY strong flavor. :p

blacksheepfoto

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2009
I just gave up on all this crap and started dripping. It was turning into a part-time job. Screw it. I ordered an E-Dobit, let's see how that works.

YouTube - E Dobit Review

I don't mean to take away from whoever is marketing this thing, but you can probably order these for pennies on the dollar. It is just empty highlighter pens (if not highlighter, some sort of paint/ink) with a felt tip.

$25 for five of em? Pass.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Day 2 of this disposable facial sponge (DFS) cart, and it is still the best vape I've had. For me, and probably my lack of time for extension modications and experiments, in comparison, the PTB was a waste of $5. With PTB, dood vape some of the time, but flooded the atty a lot, causing leaks too, and would often dump a bunch of juice into my mouth.

The DFS is simply superior vaping in every aspect. I'm getting better throat hits with 16 mg juice than my 36 mg straight with previous cart fillers, and its clear I'm getting more immediate nic too. Whew!! :D No flooding at all, even if I fill to an extent that would have certainly flooded and leaked with original poly filler. Hardly any gurgles...attys that before were prone to flooding/gurgling now operate amazingly well. Wicks like a champ still. All this means fantastic vaping, and money saved in the long run. Thought I was going to have to just vape 36 mg straight to get enough nic...not anymore!! :cool: No plastic taste either, just juice. And better flavor from the juice than before too.

Another thing I like about this filler, besides working so well and being dirt cheap and VERY easy to make a cart, is that since it is essentially a sponge, it is easily washable in vodka and reusable, with little change in overall shape or amount of filler after the wash. I detect virtually zero fraying, even after last night's sadistic abuse. I honestly cannot vape as hard and hot as would be required to cause damage to the filler...something I could easily do with the original poly filler. So reusing it would be problematic...it essentially would just fall apart. I haven't gone through a cart with DFS long enough to see how it will be after washing, but I predict it will simply come back the same as when I originally cut it.

Also, since it is a sponge, it is far more compressible than the PTB when wet. This means that after I have several carts that need filler-changing, I remove the fillers, put them into a syringe barrel, and then easily press out the juice with the plunger...and this juice (I call it 2nds) can be most excellent vaping. Then empty the barrel into vodka, soak overnight, and remove and let dry to reuse. Awesome!

Thus I may be looking at several years of top-shelf filler! Honestly, if sellers used this filler, I think we would not be discussing cart mods nearly as much. Its turned my 510 into something I just didn't think I would ever have in a 510, as great as it was before.

With the DFS, I think I'm done with cart mods for a while. Not sure the body can handle a better mod just yet! :thumb: I'll let everyone know how it fares after a few more days.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I gave up on the PTB. It is a PIA.

I've been using the Hagen AquaClear Foam for a few days in both my Penstyle (DSE801/302/RN4072) and in my 510. A friend gave me a chunk of it. Seems like it would also also compress to make a plug mod, but I have it cut for the full cart size. So far, I'm loving this. Anyone know just what it is made of? There isn't any sign of degradation, melting or off flavor with it at all. Great stuff!
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=173010&pd=recentlyviewedproduct

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
If you want the ultimate solution why not just get over playing with the crappy 3pc units and get a 2pc cartomizer? They you won't have to spend all your time modding the damn thing to make it work, it refills in a flash and it's mess free refill with no worry about the right material or a shot of juice in the mouth. I have a few of the three piece units and it actually helped me stop smoking but for long term use a 2pc is the way to go, far less hassles and it evens out on cost if you refill them yourself which 99.9999% of us do anyway.

GrimmGreen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2009
Carson City, Nevada, United States
I don't mean to take away from whoever is marketing this thing, but you can probably order these for pennies on the dollar. It is just empty highlighter pens (if not highlighter, some sort of paint/ink) with a felt tip.

$25 for five of em? Pass.

on top of that , i also heard from the masses that they don't work for crap.

I gave up on the PTB. It is a PIA.

I've been using the Hagen AquaClear Foam for a few days in both my Penstyle (DSE801/302/RN4072) and in my 510. A friend gave me a chunk of it. Seems like it would also also compress to make a plug mod, but I have it cut for the full cart size. So far, I'm loving this. Anyone know just what it is made of? There isn't any sign of degradation, melting or off flavor with it at all. Great stuff!
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=173010&pd=recentlyviewedproduct

Dang Hellen , i wish i had seen this earlier , i almost picked up a box of this from petco the other day. But it looked to loose , like it would not hold juice at all... it works good for you then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread