Anyone struggle to switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I began vaping in August 2017. I dual used for at least nine months. I realized pretty quickly that I was not going to be one of those who transition to vaping easily. I did begin to write down the time of every cigarette I smoked in a little pocket notebook before I lit up. I eliminated a lot of mindless cigarettes that way. By May of last year, I was down to 2 or 3 cigarettes per week. I finished my last pack of American Spirit and decided not to buy another. I had smoked 20/25 per day for over 40 years. I am now coming up on one year without smoking a cigarette. Good luck!

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I recently purchased the berserker mtl tank and the innokin endura t18 ii. I bought a few bottles of 12 mg ejuice 70/30 vg/pg but seems too thick for the innokin and honestly don’t care for either flavor (unfortunately paid around 30 each bottle) between new Stick, tank, mod, and juice another 200 dollars spent and still smoking. But, I definitely like the hit of these better. Unfortunately, gonna have to wait a while before I can get some more juice. And my vape shop only caries up to 12 mg in regular juice and tons of nicotine salts. Thanks for your help!

Honestly, I don't think that Vaping is a direct replacement for smoking. I was a pack per day smoker, and I went from a pack per day to 3 per day overnight. Remember, nicotine is not the only addictive chemical in a cigarette. What I did, was use a high nicotine juice. the devices I use now are old by todays standards, so the nicotine levels might be different. I started with 18mg/ml and went from that to 12mg/ml. I still felt the urge to smoke, so I made a rule where I can vape indoors, but have to smoke outdoors. Challenge yourself to see how long you can go without a cigarette.

It took me like 3-6 months to fully quit. Last time I challenged myself to see how long I can go... that was like 6 years ago.

There are juices that have came out since I quit that might help as well. there is something called WTA juices, and I've heard others have gotten good results from those. I cannot say for sure since I haven't tried them though.

And lastly, don't look at dual using as a failure... Think of it more like a transitional period. It still takes effort to quit... but with vaping, that effort should be much easier.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Unfortunately most local stores dont carry anything over 12mg reg nic and is something you have to order online. The beserker is a good mtl tank and would be equally if not better then a nautilus but 12mg is just to low for a 2.5 pad smoker. Heather's heavenly vapes is a great online vendor that carries from 0 nic to 36mg and whatever pg/vg ratio you want. 50/50 in 18mg to 40/60vg in 24mg would work fine in the beserker. If you like tobacco's, they have some really great ones, especially their Nets which are real extracts and are not coil killers. Dragons fire, huntsman, and temptation are very good , along with heavenly tobacco and heavenly army...their bakery , fruit, and coffee's are awesome too. Good luck....

I'm sure that most of the reason I could taper off and quit so easily was the 24mg juice. My 2PAD habit turned into 6 cigs a day the first week. As I said uptopic I could have probably quit completely in the first month, but I waited almost a year to drop the last 6 a day. Those 6 were my perceived crutch. As it turned out all I had to do was vape a little harder until my body lost the craving.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
And lastly, don't look at dual using as a failure... Think of it more like a transitional period. It still takes effort to quit... but with vaping, that effort should be much easier.

What Neal said. Vaping takes the edge off tapering down on the cigs. If you feel the need to smoke, do it. As you progress into vaping make deals with yourself. This week I'll drop X number of smokes. Do it and vape a little harder if the craving hits. After all, quitting is as much mental as it is physical. Your brain still likes the smoke in the beginning and hasn't gotten used to the fact that the vapor looks and feels like smoke, but doesn't exactly taste like it. That will ease the farther into vaping you are and the farther away from all those smokes you get.

Once you get to the point where you can just smoke one with coffee in the AM and after meals, you have crossed the threshold toward a permanent cessation of smoking. One day you'll decide that this is the last pack you are going to buy. Vape heavy for a while and enjoy the fact that you are officially a non-smoker.

I spent about 9 months tapering down and hanging on to some of the smokes. When I finally didn't buy another pack, it wasn't a problem. I just vaped a little harder for a few days and never looked back. It's been 9 years since I lit a cigarette and I used the above strategy to get there. These days I consider my vape a lifelong hobby. I don't plan to quit vaping.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I'm sure that most of the reason I could taper off and quit so easily was the 24mg juice. My 2PAD habit turned into 6 cigs a day the first week. As I said uptopic I could have probably quit completely in the first month, but I waited almost a year to drop the last 6 a day. Those 6 were my perceived crutch. As it turned out all I had to do was vape a little harder until my body lost the craving.
I hear you, when I started that 24mg was definitely needed and I vaped it until I nicted out which made me not think of smoking to much. My wife was on 18mg and I just couldn't do it with that, so that extra 6mg was a big difference. It made me choke and cough a little , but fortunately it did it and dual using was short lived. I do think that some newbs today are reluctant to try regular high mg nic today, whether it's hard to find or people just think it's bad in a way because most are using much lower doses while vaping much of it....whatever works in the end is best, but it all should be tried at least. Imo these are what should be tried when trying to quit, mtl regular hi nic juice with mtl set up, regular mtl pod type device with hi nic salt, dtl sub device medium to high reg nic juice, and dtl sub ohm lower regular nic juice. That would be at least my personal recommendations and in that order.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cheeri

Mar 17, 2018
Ohio, United States
Welcome to ECF .... you're in the right place. Cutting your smoking from 2 1/2 to 1 pack a day is a big step in the right direction. It sounds like you like the pod and the T18 so I'd continue using them. Lots of people dual use while switching and there's even a forum on this site for dual users. A main theme is that it isn't the cigar you smoke, it's the ones you don't.
I just need to stop and have decided I will not buy any more smokes. I am done. Thanks for your help.

Cheeri

Mar 17, 2018
Ohio, United States
What Neal said. Vaping takes the edge off tapering down on the cigs. If you feel the need to smoke, do it. As you progress into vaping make deals with yourself. This week I'll drop X number of smokes. Do it and vape a little harder if the craving hits. After all, quitting is as much mental as it is physical. Your brain still likes the smoke in the beginning and hasn't gotten used to the fact that the vapor looks and feels like smoke, but doesn't exactly taste like it. That will ease the farther into vaping you are and the farther away from all those smokes you get.

Once you get to the point where you can just smoke one with coffee in the AM and after meals, you have crossed the threshold toward a permanent cessation of smoking. One day you'll decide that this is the last pack you are going to buy. Vape heavy for a while and enjoy the fact that you are officially a non-smoker.

I spent about 9 months tapering down and hanging on to some of the smokes. When I finally didn't buy another pack, it wasn't a problem. I just vaped a little harder for a few days and never looked back. It's been 9 years since I lit a cigarette and I used the above strategy to get there. These days I consider my vape a lifelong hobby. I don't plan to quit vaping.
It is definitely a mental thing with me. I know I have everything I need to quit. And, I truly want to. I am not buying any more cigs. I have tried to taper for last year and a half and isn’t working. I just need to quit smoking and keep vaping. I know I would feel so much better. Thanks!

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I used both for a long time. I got down to two cigarettes every morning and that went on for quite a while. One morning I realized that I hadn't had a cigarette in several days. I don't know exactly when I quit. I still had several packs but was never interested in smoking them. But, I'll bet my total time of using both cigarettes and vape was at least six months.
Count the ones you don't smoke and don't worry about those you do smoke.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
It is definitely a mental thing with me. I know I have everything I need to quit. And, I truly want to. I am not buying any more cigs. I have tried to taper for last year and a half and isn’t working. I just need to quit smoking and keep vaping. I know I would feel so much better. Thanks!

Come back to the forum whenever you need someone to talk to..

moze229

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2011
Central NC, USA
I am curious if anyone else struggled to switch to vaping? If so, how did you finally make the switch?

Me an my husband decided to try vaping about year and a half ago. Went into vape shop and 300 dollars later had to mods, subohm tanks, batteries, and some 6 mg. Ejuice. We cut down from 2.5 packs to about a pack a day. But, couldn’t give the smokes up. Even bought RDA’s and RTA’s thinking maybe better flavor was the key. Then someone suggested mtl. I bought 2 juuls and found them awful. Got dry hits and no flavor. I got a pod and endura t18 ii with some nicotine salts. Definitely has a hit closer to a cigarette. So, why can’t I put the smokes down?

Help!

It was slow and painful for me. I'm not going to lie. But it's been 4 years, and I haven't really wanted to smoke for a couple of years.

The main thing to keep in mind is that you cannot switch from smoking to vaping just by vaping alone. That's not going to do it. You HAVE to want to quit smoking. It's just a part of it. I think a lot of people believe (I did) that vaping is going to just make your cigarette addiction go away. Nope. You still have to quit smoking. Vaping will make it easier, but it's not going to do it for you.

It's a complete lifestyle change. It's not easy. When smoking, you can smoke one and be good for a while before the next one. Vaping is not like that. Not at all. Vaping becomes a habit, but a different one.

You have to have it with you all the time. I was lucky in the sense that I work from home, so I was able to chain vape all day. That gave me an advantage. This was back when nic salts didn't exist. Freebase was all there was. Nic salts would have helped me TREMENDOUSLY. This will get you back into the "smoke one and you're good for a while" territory. I'm not going to mess with salts now though, since I'm good with freebase. I feel the salts would bring me closer to smoking again, and that's not what I want.

Looking back on my own experience, some things that I think would help vapers quit smoking much easier is -

1.) Go with nic salts, at least at first. This is going to give you a smoother transition and keep your cravings at bay.
2.) Find a few flavors that you like, and stick with those for a while. Don't keep experimenting with flavors. Focus on quitting smoking.
3.) Same with equipment. Find something that you like and focus on that. I think people spend too much time getting into the gadgetry of vaping and not focusing on the main goal of quitting smoking. All of the experimentation can happen later, once you feel you have control of the smoking.

With all of that said, to this day, I use a lot of the same equipment I did 4 years ago. I'm JUST NOW looking into newer stuff.

You can do this!

Ralph Livingston

Apr 12, 2019
I am curious if anyone else struggled to switch to vaping? If so, how did you finally make the switch?

Me an my husband decided to try vaping about year and a half ago. Went into vape shop and 300 dollars later had to mods, subohm tanks, batteries, and some 6 mg. Ejuice. We cut down from 2.5 packs to about a pack a day. But, couldn’t give the smokes up. Even bought RDA’s and RTA’s thinking maybe better flavor was the key. Then someone suggested mtl. I bought 2 juuls and found them awful. Got dry hits and no flavor. I got a pod and endura t18 ii with some nicotine salts. Definitely has a hit closer to a cigarette. So, why can’t I put the smokes down?

Help!
One of the things I noticed: if you’re smoking 2 1/2 packs a day, there must be someplace (your home) where you can smoke. The only people I know who still smoke two or more packs of cigarettes? Over the road trucker‘s who own their own rig! You might decide to only smoke cigarettes outside your home or in the garage/patio etc.

Do all your Vaping where ever you want… Excluding places where it’s not allowed. It might help. I have Parkinson’s and it’s difficult for me to go outside, so vaping inside was kind of a treat. Above all, every cigarette you don't smoke is A step in the right direction. You’ll get there!

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I started vaping after 42 years a cigs. Quit smoking the day i bought my first vape. No cigs at all for the first 3 or 4 months. Then came deer camp. And i took one pack of cigs for some unknown reason with me. Truth is, they were nasty. I wont go back to cigs. I do admit that high stress, dead battery with no back up or a bad coil that cant be replaced immediately will cause me to have an occasional cig but smoking as a habit is no longer in my vocabulary. Even the occasional cig or two taste so bad that its like how did i ever like these before? Start with high nic, vape til ya puke ( not literally) every time you want a cig and you will beat it. Be persistent. You are replacing cigs. Thats the mindset.....replacement. My first vape store even took my cigs from me and gave me a 15% discount on my first purchace. Yeah i went to the vape store with cigs in my pocket. Didnt know about or expect the discount, but it was an added plus. I was determined to quit though giving a new pack of smokes to a stranger only to watch him crush them up an toss em in the trash was kinda weird for me for a minute or two.

• Winner
Reactions: Jebbn

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
My transition was pretty quick. I smoked for 20 years, smoked about 2-2 1/2 packs per day. I got my vape and dual used for 7-10 days and stopped smoking. I had all the nic I needed (ran 3mg in a DL setup) with my vape, but the cigarette cravings were still there. It is a craving for the other stuff in cigs, because you get addicted to much more than just nicotine with tobacco products.

I just made my mind up and quit smoking. It was rough for a few days, but I just considered that was the price to pay for my poor decision to start smoking, and also the price to pay to increase the quality of the life I have left. I still have a mostly full pack of cigs on my night stand as a reminder. I quit about 1 1/2 years ago.

• Winner
Reactions: Coyote628

DLKnives

Retired Knifemaker
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 25, 2019
    Las Vegas
    I started vaping with a Que device a couple of years ago but went back to smoking until I ended up in the hospital, on life support, and the doc told my wife I was not going to live. I had smoked for 50 years, but I came back to life amazingly, and after I got out late late in '17 I bought cigs again! My wife brought out the Que again so I used it but it was expensive so I went and bought a Juul and used that for a few months before buying my present vape, a Lost Vape DNA Go. My wife convinced me (after 2 more trips to the ER for breathing problems) that if I smoked I'd die so that week I mixed vaping and smoking and when I ran out of cigs just vaped and here I am 6 months later not missing cigs at all. It was life or death for me and I feel like I'm winning now! Good luck to you!

PennelopeVaper

Multiple ID Suspension
    Apr 25, 2019
    Hey,

I've failed multiple times, I think its not just to do with the nicotine and the mental choice to want to stop but the habit in general.

I really enjoy taking those 5 minute smoking breaks, clears my mind and I link it to relaxation.

Maybe don't start off with a big device which feels so different to smoking, try smaller ones which are so familiar. And you don't have to cut the nicotine down so quickly, remember the nicotine itself is just part of the addiction.

Good luck and keep trying :) Hope this helps.

Penny :)

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 29, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I smoked at least a pack a day for over forty years. Smoking was a part of who I was since I was 15 years old. I started vaping in 2012 or 2013 and continued to smoke 2-3 butts per day until this January 1st when I decided it was time. Over those 5-6 years that I was a dual user, I figured I had not smoked tens of thousands of cigarettes and significantly reduced the harm to my heart, lungs, and arteries. My cardiologist was thrilled.

Everyone is different, but you have to keep in mind that you still need to want to quit and it's difficult. You need to work at it, I certainly did. I love smoking and would go back in a second if not for the harmful effects. Remember that vaping is not a silver bullet, but can be much more effective than the other substitutes - none of which worked for me.

Lastly, the thing that finally did work for me was a slew of pod mods with high-nic (50mg) salts. There's a lot of flavors and not all taste horrible. I would venture to say that they all taste better than a cigarette.

Keep at it, be determined, don't get discouraged, celebrate the cigarettes you DON't smoke, and best of luck.

Hi GPJoe - thank you for posting this - my story is almost a dead on match to yours.
    It really made me smile! same here, 45+ PAD, Dual user for years, but almost a year now cigarette free thanks to Juul. Unfortunately, being diagnosed with COPD was my wake up call. Huge improvements since I went cigarette free!

To the OP - keep trying, trust me the alternative is absolutely terrible.
    Think of the worse cold you ever had during your life and think about it never going away and you'll be close to the impact emphysema has on your life.

• Love
    Reactions: gpjoe

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 29, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Excellent thread with fantastic posts - I'm really happy to see so many others here vaping for the same reason I am. The biggest surprise for me has been the smell of smoking. I can smell a cigarette from across a parking lot, I can smell the smoke on a person immediately. As a long term smoker I never even noticed it, now I can't stand the smell of it. It amazes me still.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread