Anyone tried the steeping in pg for 3 months method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I've done tobacco extractions in PG before. It works great! I just used a regular mason jar. Put my tobacco in cover with PG to about an inch above top of tobacco and cap tightly. Give it a good shake and just let it sit.

About once a week I would set the jar on it side and roll it back and forth a few times to mix it up. I didn't shake it cause I didn't want to break up the tobacco anymore than I had too.

Let it sit a month or more then strain through coffee filters. Works great!

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I don't know exactly how it's done; but i know one company that steeps tobacco in pg (I'm guessing in carboys with bubblers) for 3 months.
Has anyone tried that method yet? Id love to make my own tobacco flavoring with drum dark blue using that method

Cold maceration of tobacco

Yes, long term room temperature soaks using PG as the extraction solvent was how I produced my first NETs. It's a -bullet proof- method of extracting flavor from tobacco, you just can't mess it up. A three to six month soak will produce a robust, tasty extract that mixed as a flavoring @ 15 - 20% makes a wonderful NET. There are just two downfalls to this method, first, it takes a long time to yield flavor (months) and second, NET made from the extract will be hard on wicks/coils (gunky).

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
There are just two downfalls to this method, first, it takes a long time to yield flavor (months)

I don't have that much time left for me to stand in front of the closed dark cabinet tapping my foot waiting for the magic to happen but I've now gotten to the point where I'm well-stocked and have learned to plan ahead...way ahead, hehe.

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
I don't know exactly how it's done; but i know one company that steeps tobacco in pg (I'm guessing in carboys with bubblers) for 3 months.
Has anyone tried that method yet? Id love to make my own tobacco flavoring with drum dark blue using that method
Im gunna try this, but i vape 0MG Nic N.E.T's would any nicotine seep through? I really don't wanna go back to nic lol

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Cold maceration of tobacco

Yes, long term room temperature soaks using PG as the extraction solvent was how I produced my first NETs. It's a -bullet proof- method of extracting flavor from tobacco, you just can't mess it up. A three to six month soak will produce a robust, tasty extract that mixed as a flavoring @ 15 - 20% makes a wonderful NET. There are just two downfalls to this method, first, it takes a long time to yield flavor (months) and second, NET made from the extract will be hard on wicks/coils (gunky).

I agree with you that a cold maceration at room temperature is bullet proof.

6 weeks is probably sufficient for those who are impatiently wanting to produce their NET.

I've tried the windowsill method but have come
To the conclusion that P and VG don't like heat, whether it's produced from electrical appliances or natural sunlight. This makes sense. Any PG or VG heated up will go off. It's why we don't leave our juices in the back of our cars or in sunlight.

I therefore now believe that long term cold maceration soaks at room temperature or cooler are the only way to go. I think cold mac juices last longer too. Heated maceration age the solvent.

Time and getting bad results has taught me that a tobacco maceration must take time. There is no getting away from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrostyMtl

Apr 2, 2014
Montréal
Currently in the process, of a pg steep right now, can't wait! I was getting tired of swishing every jar so decided to put them all in a cardboard box and swish them all at once. It's going to be a long wait to find out if I got gold or garbage lol.

My cigar six week cold masceration was in PG as well.
May I ask what kind of tobacco your mascerating?

Just want to share with you that I prefer using the resulting extract at below 5% in my final eLiquid.

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    My cigar six week cold masceration was in PG as well.
    May I ask what kind of tobacco your mascerating?

Just want to share with you that I prefer using the resulting extract at below 5% in my final eLiquid.
    2 Nat Sherman cigars
    And a few pipe tobacco
    Captain black- black/white
    Lane bca black cavendish
    Stokbye ps24 nougat
    No idea what the outcome will be since I never really smoked cigars and didn't use tobacco in my pipe lol.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    When u talk about 5% and 30% what exactly are u talking about? I thought u just took some tobacco and PG and let it sit. Don’t understand %.

A tobacco soak (maceration) produces a flavoring used in e-liquid, the %'s are how much is used.

• Agree
    Reactions: Str8vision

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    One ounce of tobacco (sold in bulk that way) in an 8 oz. Mason Jar, and fill to the top with PG.
    I soak (cold maceration) for eight weeks. Then I use an aeropress and filter with 2 macron paper twice, and store in the same mason jar it soaked in (after it had been washed and wiped out).
    Depending on the extract, 10% to 15% is good for a mild, smooth vape. 20% and more for a stronger, more stout vape.
    I don't have time to boil/ steam/ whatever. Cold Maceration as I described gives you around 100 ml of strait extract. You could mix 500 ml of stout NET, or 800 ml of mild flavor from one ounce of tobacco this way. Doesn't get much easier, but you will need patience starting out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread