Arcing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
This is one of those subjects that could turn into a deep rabbit hole. I was reading about industrial contractors and different aspects of switch design. A battery coming in and out of contact with a 510 pin is a poor switch for longevity. It creates a small contact area, allows bouncing on contact, and especially allows the contact to occur slowly. Gold or gold plating helps. Copper is good. I would imagine that steel or stainless steel isn't particularly resistant to the pitting that occurs with arcing. A good switch increases the contact area, and incorporates some kind snap action to make contact happen faster. Maybe that's what the magnets are for in this particular mod, and what the constant contact switches accomplish. There are also things that can be done with the circuitry such as adding a capacitor across the switch. I imagine that regulated mods incorporate techniques to enhance the life of the switches. Anyway, it's getting late and I need to get to bed.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
...and I watched the video. Yes the magnets seem to be for the purpose of making a more secure connection. And I learned that I was putting the batteries in upside down. Double checked the packaging. No instructions at all.

This is a blast. At least now the batteries will last twice as long.
Wait, what? How is it going to last twice as long now?

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
...and I watched the video. Yes the magnets seem to be for the purpose of making a more secure connection. And I learned that I was putting the batteries in upside down. Double checked the packaging. No instructions at all.

This is a blast. At least now the batteries will last twice as long.
The magnets are for ensuring you have to put pressure on the switch to get contact. You know - like repels like. Without magnets or a spring you'd have a thermal overrun bomb just waiting to happen

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
Wait, what? How is it going to last twice as long now?

Once the positive end is pitted and corroded, turn the battery around and use the negative end for making contact. Not to make 'em last longer with each charge, but to extend the useful life of the battery.:lol:

• Optimistic
Reactions: HigherStateD

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
Light bulb over head moment:

One of those articles said that the pitting occurs mainly on one contact surface but not the other, as the result of the current direction.

So if I had the battery in backwards, and the battery terminal was pitting, then if I simply reverse the battery, the pitting would tend to occur at the tip of the 510 pin which is much thicker, and possibly preserve the smooth surface of the battery terminal. (Come to think of it, in a noisy cricket, the switch makes contact with the negative end of the battery).

So I'll use this mod a while with the battery inserted as instructed in the video (ahem). I'll report back with results.

• Disagree
Reactions: HigherStateD

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I bought a brass Rose Finch mech mod on sale a year or two ago. It's a nice looking bright gold brass finish, well made, with very artistic scroll work on the body. I checked it out, vaped a little, and put it back in the box for the predicted vape Apocolypse.

I'm kind of stuck on Pico's and have been for most of my 11 years vaping. Pico is a perfect fit in a pocket and a perfect fit for a 10W vaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Resistance

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yes that's the one. I was mistaken in the initial post as there is a magnet. Not sure what the magnet does though, except it holds the battery in the top half when you unscrew the bottom half. Are you going to tell me to read the directions?

Nah... Instructions are for Sissies.

;)

But as Mentioned, the purpose of the Magnets in Your Mech is to Push (Repel) the Battery Away from the 510 Pin on your Atomizer. Breaking the Circuit so the Mech is "Off". And Stays "Off" until the User pushes on the "Switch" to take a Hit.

If the Magnets are Removed, then the Mech could fire if it was turned Upside Down. Or maybe even if it was knocked over and Laying on Its Side.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    As long as you're not a hardcore darwinist or you don't like gambling with the devil, the positive side of a battery should always be on the same side as the mech's vent hole(s).

Interesting post. I have looked for information many times on which is the best orientation for a battery in a mech mod (tube mods) and it seems the overwhelming majority of mech users (usually from old posts) believe that the positive battery terminal should always be in contact with the positive pin on the mech. It makes sense, though, that the the positive terminal should be pointed toward the mech's vent hole(s), though.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Light bulb over head moment:

One of those articles said that the pitting occurs mainly on one contact surface but not the other, as the result of the current direction.

So if I had the battery in backwards, and the battery terminal was pitting, then if I simply reverse the battery, the pitting would tend to occur at the tip of the 510 pin which is much thicker, and possibly preserve the smooth surface of the battery terminal. (Come to think of it, in a noisy cricket, the switch makes contact with the negative end of the battery).

So I'll use this mod a while with the battery inserted as instructed in the video (ahem). I'll report back with results.

We have Benjamin Franklin to thank for this Mess. But just so we're Clear, this is the Actual Direction of the Flow of Electrons for a Battery.

PVmJ.gif

Ben was a Smart Guy. And he Loved to Fly Kites at night. But he should have Stuck with creating the Post Office verses explaining how Electrons move around.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Interesting post. I have looked for information many times on which is the best orientation for a battery in a mech mod (tube mods) and it seems the overwhelming majority of mech users (usually from old posts) believe that the positive battery terminal should always be in contact with the positive pin on the mech. It makes sense, though, that the the positive terminal should be pointed toward the mech's vent hole(s), though.

Here is something to also Consider when thinking about Battery Orientation on a Mech...

le8rOPQSD8FwiDMpORveU3R6NM75i8-Dpj9oxt4MEo4.png

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    That's such an interesting diagram. I wonder how much more time before failure correct orientation would provide?

Good Question.

In that Diagrams "Correct" Orientation, as soon as the Atomizer Coil(s) break, then the Circuit is Broken also. Not sure how long that would take with a Wet Wick? For a Dry Wick it Isn't going to take long. As anyone who has done much Dry Firing knows.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread