Not open for further replies.

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Good Question.

In that Diagrams "Correct" Orientation, as soon as the Atomizer Coil(s) break, then the Circuit is Broken also. Not sure how long that would take with a Wet Wick? For a Dry Wick it Isn't going to take long. As anyone who has done much Dry Firing knows.
I was thinking that the coil(s) would act as a fuse. Obviously a big chunky alien would take longer than 26g round wire. Hadn't factored in wet v dry wick. I wonder if said chunky alien(s) with wet wick would break before the battery went into thermal runaway

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I was thinking that the coil(s) would act as a fuse. Obviously a big chunky alien would take longer than 26g round wire. Hadn't factored in wet v dry wick. I wonder if said chunky alien(s) with wet wick would break before the battery went into thermal runaway
In the diagram, the situation on the right would be unacceptable no matter the coil. The battery would only be discharging it's stored current back into itself, and the only "fuse" would be the same...

• Agree
Reactions: Pigs

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Good Question.

In that Diagrams "Correct" Orientation, as soon as the Atomizer Coil(s) break, then the Circuit is Broken also. Not sure how long that would take with a Wet Wick? For a Dry Wick it Isn't going to take long. As anyone who has done much Dry Firing knows.

Also consider that the Battery Amp Draw would be Limited by the Resistance of the Coil(s) before they Pop.

Reactions: Pigs

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
In the diagram, the situation on the right would be unacceptable no matter the coil. The battery would only be discharging it's stored current back into itself, and the only "fuse" would be the same...
Yeah I realize that. I should have clarified that I was talking about the "proper orientation" pic.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

A "Fuse" is a Good Term for what would happen.

And that also gets back to Battery CDR. Because the Amp Draw of the build Shouldn't exceed the Battery CDR. If so, Practical Theory would say that the Battery Should be able to Safely Discharge until the Coil (Fuse) Breaks.

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
A "Fuse" is a Good Term for what would happen.

And that also gets back to Battery CDR. Because the Amp Draw of the build Shouldn't exceed the Battery CDR. If so, Practical Theory would say that the Battery Should be able to Safely Discharge until the Coil (Fuse) Breaks.
So are you saying that if you've done the math and made sure that your build won't exceed the CDR of the battery in normal usage, that in the case of a torn battery wrap creating a short in "proper orientation", our coil (fuse) should blow in time?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So are you saying that if you've done the math and made sure that your build won't exceed the CDR of the battery in normal usage, that in the case of a torn battery wrap creating a short in "proper orientation", our coil (fuse) should blow in time?

Yes.

Because the Amp Draw on the Battery will be Limited to the Resistance of the Build while the Coil(s) are Intact. And when the Coil(s) pop, then the Circuit is Broken.

Suggesting that the Coil(s) could be called a "Fuse" is really Spot On. Because that is Exactly what a Fuse Does. Limits the Amp Draw while Intact. Breaks the Circuit when the Fuse Pops.

If a Mech Build Doesn't cause the Battery CDR Amp Draw to be Exceeded, you should be able to Continuously Fire the Mech until the Battery is Drained even if the Coil(s)/Fuse doesn't Pop.

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Yes.

Because the Amp Draw on the Battery will be Limited to the Resistance of the Build while the Coil(s) are Intact. And when the Coil(s) pop, then the Circuit is Broken.

Suggesting that the Coil(s) could be called a "Fuse" is really Spot On. Because that is Exactly what a Fuse Does. Limits the Amp Draw while Intact. Breaks the Circuit when the Fuse Pops.

If a Mech Build Doesn't cause the Battery CDR Amp Draw to be Exceeded, you should be able to Continuously Fire the Mech until the Battery is Drained even if the Coil(s)/Fuse doesn't Pop.
This has been a great chat.
Sounds like it might be time to spread the word. All I ever seem to read and hear these days is to face the battery positive towards the vent holes - usually at the base of the mech - so that in case of a short from a torn wrap, the battery will vent away from the face. I've made a copy of the Proper v Improper diagram and will pull it out next time this question comes up.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This has been a great chat.
Sounds like it might be time to spread the word. All I ever seem to read and hear these days is to face the battery positive towards the vent holes - usually at the base of the mech - so that in case of a short from a torn wrap, the battery will vent away from the face. I've made a copy of the Proper v Improper diagram and will pull it out next time this question comes up.

To Me, that Diagram is Part of the Puzzle.

There is a Strong Argument that can be made to that If a Mech Only has Vent Holes on One End, then the Positive End of the Battery should be placed where the Vent Holes are.

Because if a Battery goes into Thermal Runaway, the Batter Casing is Very Likely to Swell. And on Many Mechs where the Battery fits in the Mech Body tightly, the Expanding Gases might not be able to reach the Vent Holes.

Mech Safety is, IMO, a series of Levels of Safety. I never put a Battery into Mech without giving it a 3 Second check of the Battery Wrap. And I would NEVER use a Battery with ANY Type of Defect in the Wrap. Those Batteries get put aside to be Re-Wrapped.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
A proper wrap on the battery is a must.

You could also insert a rolled up a piece of PET sheeting into the tube to act as an insulation layer.
H7a3f8cb7a5ea47f2b00b4f89fdbe36eff.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
We have Benjamin Franklin to thank for this Mess. But just so we're Clear, this is the Actual Direction of the Flow of Electrons for a Battery.

PVmJ.gif

Ben was a Smart Guy. And he Loved to Fly Kites at night. But he should have Stuck with creating the Post Office verses explaining how Electrons move around.

Franklin probably didn't know it, but he was the first to experience and introduce current flow to the masses. Those following his findings in America eventually took part in the heated discussion of electron flow and hole flow. Those types (engineers) are still discussing which way current actually flows! :)

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Franklin probably didn't know it, but he was the first to experience and introduce current flow to the masses. Those following his findings in America eventually took part in the heated discussion of electron flow and hole flow. Those types are still discussing which way current actually flows! :)

I remember sitting in this Applied Physic class in college and the Professor drawing a Coil attached to a Battery and starting to explain how the flow of electricity induces a Magnetic Field.

Right as the Professor is about to launch into the Line Integrals and tie them into Maxwell's Equation, this student raises his hand and tells the Professor he made a Mistake. That he had the Flow coming out of the Negative End of the Battery and not the Positive end.

The Professor went into this Mini-Tirade about Franklin Screwed Up things for all to Follow. How Countless Minds had be Ruined. And that his Picture should be Removed from the Hundred Dollar Bill.

LOL

Last edited:

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
I don't use mechs but I would want the positive side of battery to the 510 pin cause my monkey brain can't handle the opposite for the same reason I can't eat a burger upside down or open chips bag upside down :p
So you don't use regulated single cell mods with positive down configuration or dual 18650 series mods, where the cells need to be inserted both positive up and down? Interesting.

A cell's wrap and top ring insulator always have to be in flawless condition no matter whether the mod is regulated or not, which negates the problem shown in the diagram above. That's why I double wrap all my cells, because shorts because of torn wraps can happen inside a regulated device as well, and no chip is able to prevent that.

But critical failures inside a cell can always happen no matter the orientation of the cell. Even a slight shock from a mod or cell falling on the floor may cause a short inside the cell for example.
And the only way to minimize the risk of creating a bomb is for the cell to have a chance to vent properly.
Because of that, the statement "always positive up" is nonsense.

Btw, a cell venting its boiling and highly toxic internals straight into your face might not be very desireable as well.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
So you don't use regulated single cell mods with positive down configuration or dual 18650 series mods, where the cells need to be inserted both positive up and down? Interesting.

A cell's wrap and top ring insulator always have to be in flawless condition no matter whether the mod is regulated or not, which negates the problem shown in the diagram above. That's why I double wrap all my cells, because shorts because of torn wraps can happen inside a regulated device as well, and no chip is able to prevent that.

But critical failures inside a cell can always happen no matter the orientation of the cell. Even a slight shock from a mod or cell falling on the floor may cause a short inside the cell for example.
And the only way to minimize the risk of creating a bomb is for the cell to have a chance to vent properly.
Because of that, the statement "always positive up" is nonsense.

Btw, a cell venting its boiling and highly toxic internals straight into your face might not be very desireable as well.

As I said I am not mech user just saying how i am thinking about it and making fun with myself :p
On regulated devices because there is a board in them and I can't change the batteries placement then it doesn't mess with my monkey brain or some people call it OCD (I don't agree):p

But I was thinking about this mech mod that if I understand correctly it uses the metal body of it for current flow then i would wanted to be the negative for sure....lol just saying

Kinda like in cars were the whole body of the car it's the negative...or like in electronic boards that the whole pcb is the negative usually....

ofc I was joking cause in this case as u guys mention there are the venting holes and other things to consider....
But really bro??? Negative side on the 510 positive pin??? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread