Are Starter Kits a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ECF!

Looking around the forum here, I found a lot of interesting information, but some of the speak is still alien to me.
I'm looking to switch to ecigs to cut back on my tobacco budget. Basically something to use at home, not outdoors(I'm one of those who feel like I would be embarrassed to smoke an ecig in public - in truth, I would probably stop caring after a month or two of using it at home!).

I'm not a smoker turning to an ecig user. My tobacco product of choice is General Snus, Original Portion. It's about 8mg of Nicotine per pouch, I believe. Using between 2-3 pouches at a time, now, so 24mg per "dip" usually. Lasts about 30-40 minutes. I switched from cigarettes TO Snus, and am now looking to switch again to ecigs as my primary source of nicotine and wind-down enjoyment. I don't intend and reducing my nicotine levels or anything like that. I just want to spend less money per month. My tobacco shop got hit with the increased tax awhile back and the owner is talking about another one impending. I pay around 7.60 per tin, which holds 24 portions. I buy one to two cans a week.

SO! My question: Are Starter Kits worth it? Looking through some of the posts on this board, I don't see much discussion of specific brands. I see a lot about models and liquids, but it's pretty alien to me still. I figured a Starter Kit would be the most bang for my modest buck. I looked at the Imperial Smoke Gold and Platinum kits, as well as the excellently priced Bull Smoke Ranch Hand kit(which is out of stock and they haven't responded to my inquiries on how long it takes to restock it).
I want to avoid Bull Smoke's City Slicker kit since it comes with too many goofy flavors. I just want tobacco flavor, or the closest I can come to it. I like the taste of my Snus, and of the cigars I smoke. So getting a couple vanilla, berry, menthol(fine), etc cartriges seems like a waste when I could just get a bunch of full flavor tobacco ones for the same price.

Are those two kits well received? I can't find many reviews for either except the .. I forget their name, tllk? tkkd? t-something twice-something.... The V2 kits that they love don't come with as much cartriges, but they say that the quality makes up for it. I don't need the premo of E-Cigs here, I just want something worth the buck that lasts.

I'm sorry if these "Decide my E-Cig for me!" threads aren't allowed. I browsed the read here first subforum and didn't stumble across any rules against it, but my screen name isn't far from the truth, so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something.
I'd appreciate any suggestions on kits or if it would be better to order some specific model and x or y liquid and accessories. But my budget is very low, around 40-50 dollars max.

Sorry for the length. I feel it is all relevant information for a question like this, however.
Any tips or suggestions?

Thank you!

hvac999

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2010
Charlotte, NC

thedustwarrior

Sep 16, 2013
los angeles
I got one of these. It's awesome! Takes all the guess work out of it. Works right out of the box, let me hit the ground running so I didn't have some excuse to make to go and smoke an analog.

First step is to get off tobacco, second step is to blow a lot of time and money on mods etc....:2cool:

Triton Tank System | Advanced E-Cigarette | Halo Cigs

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Welcome to the forum, Claudius! (Sorry, but since you're interested in vaping, by definition you are NOT a fool!)

IMO, starter kits are just the ticket for, well, starters. Can you find a local B&M (brick and mortar, our slang for a local store selling ecigs)? If so, and I believe there are some in Minneapolis, start there. Also, most online vendors have a "starter kit" category you can browse.

Since you'll need, to start, two batteries, at least two "toppers" (cartomizers, clearomizers, tanks...) to hold the e-liquid, and a battery charger, the starter kit will usually be your best value. Also, most vendors offer sampler packs of e-liquid so you can try different flavors without investing in large quantities.

Have you checked out ECF's InfoZone? If not, do. There's lots of excellent info there for new vapers.

Good luck, and by all means keep those questions coming! We love questions... :vapor: :thumbs: :vapor:

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
The right starter kit can be WELL worth the money. Try http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm . Choose the 1300mah Spinner for batteries and EVODs for the cartomizers. Go to Best E Cigarette | Buy Electronic Cigarettes | E Cig Juice - MT Baker Vapor for e-juice and make your pick, they are fast.

hvac999 made two really great suggestions, as for the juice, try several small samples, you may be surprised and find you don't like the tobacco but really enjoy a fruit or dessert flavor.

In case you are wondering, most of us don't recommend the cigalike kits you are talking about, mainly because many of us tried them and were disappointed in them and quickly moved on to kits like hvac999 recommended. Cigalikes just don't have much battery charge life, and prefilled cartos are way overpriced and in many cases of poor quality.

However if the cigalike are something you are set on, Volt seems to be one of the more well regarded brands, here is a link.

Smokeless Image | The Best Electronic Cigarette

Another company that seems to be a step above the rest.

E-liquid | Electronic Cigarette | E Cig Liquid | Halo Cigs

Please note that the Triton kits are Egos, and the VV Trition is basically the same thing that hvac999 recomended. Also the Volt Spinner is bascilly the same thing as the kit havac999 recommended. However, to the best of my knowledge, the Volt and Halo Spinners don't have the 510 threading like the MyVaporStore kit, limiting you to using either the Halo equipment, or the Volt equipment.

Last edited:

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Here is my starter kit of choice: ProVari Variable Voltage Electronic Cigarette Starter Kit V2.5

Every thing you need, just add juice. (batteries are included)
It's fraking awesome. Real glad I vape now, and it just keeps getting better.

yeah worth it. Do the research first before you pull the trigger of regret.

Vape on

Vape the World.

Last edited:

Wmmeese

Dedicated Lurker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
St Louis
I second the Spinner kit suggestion. They are variable voltage so you can make some adjustments later when you have more knowledge. You can start with a voltage of between 3.8v and 4.2, as this is the same as a fixed voltage devise from fresh off the charger to when flavor may start to decline. At 1300 mAh they will last almost twice as long between charging as the standard eGo type. Tanks with replaceable heads provide a superior vape and head replacement is less expensive than cartos whether alone or in a tank. You can even rebuild the heads for penny's if you are really into saving cash!

If the Spinner is too large (although you are only using them at home) , I had excellent results with V2 although the quicker you get off cigalikes and cargos, the more money you will save on supplies.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! Wasn't expecting this much input, and it is all appreciated.
I went with the Volt Standard Starter Kit with Country flavor. The Country bottles were out of stock so I ordered a 10ml bottle of Midnight Express, figuring two tobacco flavors should mesh fairly well together without having to try and rinse out one of the cartomizers.

I would have liked the kits in hvac999's post if it wasn't for the price. I already spent more than I would have liked, but what are you gonna do I guess.
Now comes the wait. Once I feel comfortable with refilling, operating, and replacing all the components I'll look into a more advanced set, probably.

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get and use the thing. I just hope this starter kit lasts me at least a month or so.

Again, thanks for all the input. Bookmarked a lot of it for later down the road. I'll still check back in this thread for awhile, so any other suggestions or tips for the future won't be in vain!

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Best starter kit and certainly the most recommended on this forum this year is the MyVaporStore kit. I used a similar kit and it was great. Bang for the buck, I think so. You need a good setup for vaping to work properly. You can always spend less, and get less. Some Fasttech starter kits are less than $15 delivered, but don't include backups (violation of rule number 1). Anyway, the MVS kit is here:

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

I know this kit has worked for dozens of vapers and like I said, is highly recommended. Good luck, happy shopping, welcome to the Forum, power up and vape on!

Mrsobie

Sep 10, 2013
Texas
Go to halos ecig site they have a great product and reasonabke price I got the halo triton starter kit and love it they also have the halo g6 that is the cigalike
that is good and they have good quality juices and a variety tabacco pack or menthol or gourmet snd yiu get a large tabacco juice for free with kit just type halo ecig into google and youll see there site link
Sent from my SAMSUNG-GALAXY NOTE II using Tapatalk 2

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
Thanks for all the replies! Wasn't expecting this much input, and it is all appreciated.
I went with the Volt Standard Starter Kit with Country flavor. The Country bottles were out of stock so I ordered a 10ml bottle of Midnight Express, figuring two tobacco flavors should mesh fairly well together without having to try and rinse out one of the cartomizers.

I would have liked the kits in hvac999's post if it wasn't for the price. I already spent more than I would have liked, but what are you gonna do I guess.
Now comes the wait. Once I feel comfortable with refilling, operating, and replacing all the components I'll look into a more advanced set, probably.

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get and use the thing. I just hope this starter kit lasts me at least a month or so.

Again, thanks for all the input. Bookmarked a lot of it for later down the road. I'll still check back in this thread for awhile, so any other suggestions or tips for the future won't be in vain!

Nice, Volt seems to get some good reviews from fellow members, as well as Halo and V2. When you are ready for something with longer battery life and more power, you have the Twist/Spinner kit bookmarked. Enjoy your Volts.

Nice, Volt seems to get some good reviews from fellow members, as well as Halo and V2. When you are ready for something with longer battery life and more power, you have the Twist/Spinner kit bookmarked. Enjoy your Volts.
Thanks, I imagine I will.
The main thing I'll miss about snusing all the time is just that initial hit when the juice first starts flowing. Grown attached to the powerful indicator of impending nicotine. But I still plan on buying it for use during my long classes and bus rides, unless these ecigs destroy the entire allure for me(hopefully)!
In regards to the power toggle for the spinners and such: Is the extra money worth the toggle? I'm fine with just taking two hits instead of one, or a big hit, for the desired effect. Is the price mostly for the battery life alone? Or does it make a hit more like one from a cigar?
As long as I have two working batteries, battery life isn't much of an important factor for me since I'll just be vaping at home. Was even considering one of those wired-to-the-USB models for that reason but I'm not always on the laptop.

THETOTALLYCOOL

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
Spanish Harlem
The spinner batteries change the flavor, but more importantly provide more volume. Since you're already off cigarettes, I don't think that's critical for you.

You can certainly vape for less than the $18-20 a week you are spending, but the trial and error and start-up cost can be significant. Since your drive is financial, try to use-up the flavor you purchased, even if you don't like it very much. If you find a liquid you like, switch to the clearomizer product others have suggested. When one of your current batteries dies, don't replace it.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Congrats on your choice. A solid starter kit from a company with great CS. After 5 posts wait 1 hour for the ECF servers to reset and post a pic for a freebie:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-your-freebie-faces-volt-smokeless-image.html
Realize any accessories you buy for the Volt must be 808 threaded.
Cheers and the Best of Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread