are the manufactuers using sub par parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyman550

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
Springfield,IL
Hi all,

this is my question for you all.

I have had a Laisimo L100 that leaked e-juice all over the batteries, I took the battery sled out the 510 looks nice and solid well made, but the rubber between the center pin and the barrel did not fit well allowing e-juice to leak down the center pin and over the batteries.

next i got a Smok alien 220w that had a two part 510 system which also let e-juice in and coated the batteries as well I used it until the board just stopped working. I wonder why.

so I ask you all, should we speak up about the 510 we get in our devices being sub par?

how many device has anyone had that also leaked juice allover the batteries, I know i can't be the only one.

Keyman

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
What I find humorous is when "name brand", "quality" products are manufactured in China, China get zero credit, but when a cheap device in manufactured there they get 100% of the blame. Your iPhone is made in China for instance. Never heard anyone say it was a cheap product. It isn't a "China" problem. It's a parent company specification and quality standards problem. The quality level and QC standards are set by the company brand not the manufacturer. SMOK (for instance) sets lower QC standards than Apple does so the end product is both cheaper for the consumer and less reliable. Apple would never tolerate standards as low as some ecig companies do. Then again if they charged $800+ for a mod it better damn well not break...ever.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Let's say you want to use a well made 510 like a VT 510. Retail is $4.00 in the US. Wholesale. I'll assume is $2.00. For a mod that will sell for $50.00 and costs maybe $30 to fulfill to the distributor (the whole $50 isn't going to Smok) and now that well made 510 is eating up 7-10% of your manufacturing costs. It's components like that which if used in a mass market product would result in too high a price point for their targeted audience. It's also why all those high end, custom built mods end up, at least to some degree, costing far more.

It's like the old story for buying anything. I can give it to you cheap, fast, and good. Pick 2 of those 3 that you want.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
We are talking about devices that are mass produced in a country notorious for lousy quality control and abject contempt for patents and copyrights.

We greedy westerners want Porsche engineering at Yugo prices and we whine when the rear main seal leaks oil.

I buy three devices and do well to have one survive three month after birth.

Is what it is.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Speak up to whom other than each other? China is China. It’s all very buyer beware. Manufacturing defects are a fact of life with Chinese stuff. The alien is known to have manufacturing issues and I’ve never even heard of the other company you mentioned.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
So let me get this right. You set up a leaky tank... the juice gets in the mod.. so the mod is made wrong....

How about fixing the damn leaks...... if you don't run a leaking tank with a leaking 510.. no juice gets on the mod... no issues.

YES THERE IS CRAP GEAR ON THE MARKET... but the best hand made mod can't stand up to lazy users running leaking atomizers.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I think manufacturers for mass market affordable (and some not so affordable) will try to control costs wherever they can. Yes, there are plenty of cheap, crappy 510s on mods out there. If you're handy and not afraid of disassembling the mods, you can replace it with a decent 510.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Billy tightens his tanks to just snug and vapes happily ever after.

Bobby does a two handed super torque that destroys the insulator in the mods 510 connection. The connection soon starts to leak and e-liquid gets on the batteries and electronics.

Manufacturers assume Billy is buying their products.

Last edited:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Oh I hope no one (glances over at OlderNDirt) took my post as SMOK bashing.

Naw! I am not on a campaign to search the board for any and all negative comments about Smok. I've even found some complaints to be legitimate product defect! :)p in lieu of a sarcasm moji) To explain as it relates to this topic and not specific to Smok:

OP is having problems with a couple mods after leaking juice down into the 510. Why is that reason to proclaim either mod, or all products made by its company bad or having poor QC? Some will say "we read so many complaints", but how many of those complaints relate to abuse, user error, or combining the product with inappropriate gear? It is also my belief that the number of legitimate complaints should be measured against total sold and in use, something that none of us are made aware of.

We want to complain about electronics that don't last, but we are the ones demanding the lowest prices. These boards are filled with posts about buying online rather then B&M's to save money and then to buy overseas to save even more. And then we are surprised that manufacturers recognize what we demand and do whatever they can to satisfy those demands? If a US manufacturer came up with a mod with a 1 year full replacement warranty for $300+, what percentage of vapers would buy it?

Once again I must say, I must be the luckiest vaper in the world! Every mod and tank I have purchased over the past 3 years is still in working order (knocks on wood!). But I look at it this way. I was spending over $50 a week to smoke and at the end of that week, I had nothing to show for it but an ashtray full of butts and ashes. We all run a risk with any brand of getting a dud and that's not limited to vape gear. Having shinyitis and buying a lot of gear increases those odds. Even then, at the cost of around $50 a mod, I think I have a better chance of it still working at the end of the week compared to what I had left smoking.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
There's always a Geekvape Aegis. Given it's waterproof a leaky tank shouldn't matter. Still may make a mess of the finish. Let's face it, no matter much you pamper and triple check your builds, sooner or later you will have a leak. I just try and clean mine off as soon as it happens, including a thorough swabbing out of the 510, even if it doesn't look like there's any juice is in there.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
:lol: Hilarious thread.
Pay peanuts = get monkeys

More importantly though. You need to concern yourself with these leaks. That don’t sound good.
Fix the atty, buy a new atty and/or don’t build it ‘leaky’ and save some dollar on your weekly mod expenditure.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That's true, even the most happy, durable mods on the market aren't going to enjoy being coated in juice. You talked about it happening with your alien and just "keeping going." I mean, if you aren't even going to clean up leaks, things aren't going to work well. This is electronic gear, if you leaked a tank of juice all into your cellphone, would you expect it to work well? Mods aren't made to withstand (huge and ongoing) leaks. I do have to agree that if you fixed the initial problem, I'm sure your mods would have been fine. It is a bit unfair to blame the battery if you are leaking all into it. And, I've had TONS of RTA leaks and still been fine, as I keep an eye on them and clean them up immediately.

I'd say before buying another mod, maybe get a leakproof, bulletproof tank, even if that means using drop in coils, and even then, you probably need to learn to use it correctly, so watch a lot of demo videos to make sure you are handling the setup correctly.

Mods can be waterproof, most likely (which your mods are not) and still die if they get leaking down into the 510 pin, I'd bet. That's really your responsibility to maintain, not your mod's.

Anna

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
That's true, even the most happy, durable mods on the market aren't going to enjoy being coated in juice.

Amen! Need say no more in that regard.

Sub par? I bought a Segeli (ms i'm sure) 213 knowing full well it would not do temp control as advertised and that it would not achieve the wattage it claimed. But, I got it for $30.00. The case is solid. It gets two battery lifespan and puts out more power than I use. Were I an idealist I would probably boycott Segeli per their marketing deception because that is the only way to "speak out" that will be heard. But, how many folks would? I've excepted the industry for what it is. I do a lot of research before buying. Reviews, use google "problems with xxxxx" etc. Even then I get stung on occasion. Best I know to do.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
OMG! Think about this. Regulation? Guberment? Ya, I would love to see some kind of oversight. Maybe a cert like CE or UL for vape gear. I don't know. But the guberment?

UL has already published standards but zero manufacturers have submitted any devices for testing that I know of.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think most things electronic take flack....when they break and (unless a cellphone is dropped into a toilet or something) the end user doesn't want to take any of the blame. I'm actually shocked cellphones survive as long as they do. I don't want to get into Smok's QC process here, as I am 100% convinced that in this instance smok is not to blame here. I mean, I can't think of a mod where I just poured juice down into the battery compartment and attempted to vape it and it would survive.

I'm not saying that every mod on the planet is perfect, it's just this MIGHT be an instance where it's NOT RIGHT to blame Smok. At all. This is clearly user error, and the OP needs to acknowledge that, if he wants to be a successful vaper. If something starts leaking like that and you cannot fix it, don't KEEP GOING. Take it to your local vape shop, take it to a friend who can help you, ask here BEFORE the mods all die. Etc. I'm not trying to be punitive, but if the OP continues this type of behavior he could be the proud owner of a mod from every manufacturer on earth and STILL be having problems.

The mod wasn't the problem, letting the leaks continue was the problem. I'm just kinda glad you didn't experience a catastrophic event, but I would do some reading up on your gear and how to use it, that is what ECF is for. Good luck, and I hope things work better for you in the future.

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
The iphone is a cheap POS. the new iphone8 uses recylced and old tech. "reveolutionary OLED and wireless charging". Hello Apple, welcome to 2015.

Edit: I do agree with you to a certain extent.

Yeah I just like to use Apple as an example. Personally I only use Samsung phones. For better or worse.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Speak up to whom other than each other? China is China. It’s all very buyer beware. Manufacturing defects are a fact of life with Chinese stuff. The alien is known to have manufacturing issues and I’ve never even heard of the other company you mentioned.
My Alien crapped out after 2 months. The button/lever stopped working.
I mailed it back to FastTech but it got lost in the mail.
At least I'm hoping they (USPS) never finds it. I'll be happy with the $50.00 insurance pay out and call it a day losing 12 bucks on the Alien.
What I am sure of is, I will not buy another Smok product. For over 3 years, my Eleaf TC 60w has never let me down ( even though I dropped it a few times.)

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
For vaping I use nothing
I think you are right there. I have noticed that my higher quality mods are CE certed which is the European equivalent. Those mods btw do hold up well.
CE is not a certification, it is just sign that a manufacturer declare its voluntary compliance with CE requirements. All of my cheap Chinese mods in rotation have CE engraved on them.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I think you are right there. I have noticed that my higher quality mods are CE certed which is the European equivalent. Those mods btw do hold up well.

Take care the mark you're seeing is "Conformité Européenne" and not "China Export". How these logos are allowed to be differentiated by minor kerning is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread