Article I found

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
It seems the floodgates are bursting. I wonder how long the FDA will try and fight a loosing battle. You simply can't prevent a healthier smoking alternative from the general public if 40% of them try and quit every year.

Hiya'

That's what I think to but they stick their feet into everything and seem to have enough lobbist and money to get away with pretty much everything they want...

I'd just love someone to go after them and get them called on the carpet for all the people with ilnness' and deaths that have been caused by their "approved" medications...

It's obvious that they tell everyone to quit smoking, yet when something has been found that will do that they want to ban it.. Also when they fought the trial they were essentially telling all of us who are vaping to either go back to smoking, or to use another method like gums, patches, etc, so it's apparent that they must be getting kick-backs from both the pharmaceutical companies and the tobacco industry at the same time...

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
It seems the floodgates are bursting. I wonder how long the FDA will try and fight a loosing battle. You simply can't prevent a healthier smoking alternative from the general public if 40% of them try and quit every year.

With appropriate support, it's actually double that.

The poll on ECF shows that 83% of us quit completely with e-cigs.

The biggest hurdle, of course, is learning how to use, maintain, and assemble them properly. And that is why forums like this make such a huge difference. Some people need a lot of trouble-shooting before they get the real vaping experience, and quit.

The fact that it's still 40% effective WITHOUT outside support puts it in league with Chantix - which of course has nasty side effects, like going psychotic and wanting to kill your mother. And that's the most effective thing the FDA has to offer. Something that makes people lose their minds.

If everyone who tried e-cigs had support, the quit rate would be astounding.

The FDA's products can't compete, and they don't want them to - they get funded by Big Tobacco's tax dollars.

This is all a money issue. They don't care how many people die, as long as they get their pay checks.

And for what it's worth, I'm not letting them stop me.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
...And for what it's worth, I'm not letting them stop me.

I'll also mention that e-cigs continually to work with every quit attempt. I've quit from both Chantix and Zyban but found myself back to smoking in less than 1 year each time. When I tried these treatments for the 2nd time, they didn't work at all. Not sure if this is the general case, but I found them to only work once each time.

Lets also talk price - Chantix (Champix as its known here) was the most expensive quit method I've ever tried. Its a very hit and miss treatment too. Side effects galore.

I'm not allergic to PG, but if I was the solution is simple - switch to VG. E-cigs don't cure a nicotine addiction like other treatments, but in my experience people will talk about quitting for years and never do. E-cigs give people a healthy alternative while they are trying to quit. Usually by lowering nic dosages in ejuice over a period of time. This is far better than people thinking they'll quit "next month" or "next week" for the next 5 years and developing some life threatening condition.

Even if you never QUIT vaping, you're not exposing yourself to 1% of the risk of traditional tobacco. I can't think of anything negative to say about vaping, except the technology needs to evolve and become more easily available.

The FDA and the American Lung Association should be ashamed of themselves. And I hope that vaping companies exceed in revenue those of tobacco companies and can eventually take these matters further. We the public are getting duped.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
MichaelOz - None of the tobacco cessation methods cure the nicotine addiction, except Chantix. But only if you stay on it for the rest of your life. And since Chantix is such a dangerous and volatile drug, staying on it forever is... well, quite possibly just as bad for you as smoking.

But you're right - all addictions are prone to relapse, but especially nicotince, since it can have such positive psychological effects in high stress situations. Most people who quit for years and start again start for that reason - stress.

And if someone manages to taper down to zero-nicotine juice, and then off e-cigs all together, they can still keep an e-cig tucked away for stress emergencies, and satisfy nearly every aspect of smoking, without buying a pack. If you take certain precautions, it's basically relapse-resistant. No other quitting method offers that.

Last edited:

justincase

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2009
33.98801111° N, 77.90895581° W
Good article AngeLsLuv. Very interesting to learn JC has sent off stuff to the FDA for testing. Can't wait for the results to come out. And I completely agree the FDA is only worried about lining their pockets. Not protecting us. Look at their track record. They will put a stamp of approval on something, then 3-5 years later we all see commercials telling us about class action lawsuits and people dying and everything else because of their "approved" drug.
Not e-cig related, but look at Paxil.
Doctors had damn near half of society on it, now the truth comes out...............the FDA had it wrong. :facepalm:
There are HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of this very exact thing.
The FDA need shut down! :laugh:

IndieVisible

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
USA
www.vaporjunkies.com
The only nice think about the FDA is they are consistently inconsistent, and often do a reversal lol. So if the public and health officials express enough support and there is a lack of evidence to suggest e-cigarettes are more dangerous then cigarettes and turns out to be safer and more effective then any other method to quit smoking, they could reverse their stand on it.

On a side note, I would not want to be this lone Democrat Frank R. Lautenberg from NJ who wrote to the FDA demanding a ban until proven safe. I think he has it backwards. Prove they are not safe first :)

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
E-cigs don't cure a nicotine addiction like other treatments, but in my experience people will talk about quitting for years and never do. E-cigs give people a healthy alternative while they are trying to quit. Usually by lowering nic dosages in ejuice over a period of time. This is far better than people thinking they'll quit "next month" or "next week" for the next 5 years and developing some life threatening condition.

Don't let them kid you. There is no treatment that cures nicotine addiction. All the FDA-approved nicotine products do is to provide a low dose of nicoitne in hopes of warding off some of the nicotine abstinence symptoms and give you a plan to taper down and off. As you have observed, if getting off nicotine is your goal, you can do that with e-cigarettes even more efficiently than you can do with products like the patch that forces you into 50% drops in dosage each time you step down.

Those who don't require the beneficial effects of nicotine can walk away from it. Does that mean they have been cured of addiction, or does it mean they were never really dependent in the first place? I stopped drinking alcohol for several years when my children were in their teens because I didn't want to have booze in the house they and their friends might get into. I suffered no ill effects from stopping, so apparently I wasn't addicted to alcohol.

I now have a glass of wine with dinner 5 or 6 nights per week. That's the extent of my drinking.

Stopping use of nicotine, however, makes me very ill, and the symptoms last until I resume using nicotine or find some other medication that works to treat my symptoms. Unfortunately there really isn't any other medication I can take to safely treat the attention deficits and short-term memory problems.

Some people like to call me an addict because of this. I view myself as someone who is consciously self-medicating underlying conditions.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Stopping use of nicotine, however, makes me very ill, and the symptoms last until I resume using nicotine or find some other medication that works to treat my symptoms. Unfortunately there really isn't any other medication I can take to safely treat the attention deficits and short-term memory problems.

Some people like to call me an addict because of this. I view myself as someone who is consciously self-medicating underlying conditions.

It is exactly the same for me. I actually began smoking intentionally, when I was turned away from outside help due to not having money. I learned about the psychological effects of nicotine, as well as the studies being conducted on its medicinal uses, when I was taking psychology.

And it works.

This is what makes nicotine different from so many other addictions. It doesn't impair the person's mental functionality at all, while potentially medicated a variety of conditions, from Parkinson's to ADD, to other mental illness, and even dementia.

The fact that it gets stigmatized due to being addictive is hilarious. Most psych drugs the FDA sells are also extremely addictive.

It is the common delivery method of nicotine that is bad. The addiction itself (while all addiction is unfortunate) it beneficial to a lot of people, including myself.

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Isn't this the same FDA that doesn't require bio-engineered "frankenfoods" to be labeled yet almost every other country does? They just approved bio-engineered salmon for our consumption.

Is this the same FDA that still allows high fructose corn syrup to be put in everything we eat despite the increasing link between hfcs and cancer?

Is this the same FDA that allows medications that have "suicide" as a possible side effect onto the market? Almost every med I see these days lists suicide as a possible side effect.

The FDA simply WANTS us dead. If they cared about our health 99% of the meds out there would disappear overnight.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
Don't let them kid you. There is no treatment that cures nicotine addiction....

I can see why what I said might cause some confusion. Let me restate, what I meant to say was: E-cigs don't claim to cure a nicotine addiction like other treatments CLAIM to.

In otherwords: Zyban makes a claim to rid you of a nicotine dependence. Champix aka Varenicline claims to inhibit and occupy nicotine receptors and eventually after 2-6 months of usage completely rids you of a nicotine dependence. Allen Carr's methods make this claim too. Hypnosis / Cold Turkey likewise.

You're correct about nicotine replacement treatments not actually ridding you of a nicotine addition. However these least effective methods are what the FDA approve. These are the treatments people learn to trust (note: I've never heard 1 smoker tell me they've quit from gum or patches, these cases are extremely rare.)

My point is all these methods ultimately have 1 thing in common they are marketed as ways to get you off nicotine. Patches are not something you are supposed to use for the remainder of your days, there is a cut down plan in the treatment. Likewise Gum, the nic dose is slowly lowered.

Vaping inverts the problem. In years to come, you might see the medical fraternity market it as a way to free yourself of a nicotine addiction, but right now this is not the case. Its really just a much healthier way to smoke. Is this a bad thing? Absolutely not. I have a friend who smokes around 25 analogs a day. I used to smoke about the same. He will frankly tell you vaping is crap. In the 50 odd days I've been vaping, I've avoided 1200+ analogs. Makes you sick just thinking about such a total. 50 days have flown by too. Without e-cigs I can assure you NONE OF THE OTHER METHODS would have worked for me, because I've tried each and every one of them. They've worked in the past, but not this time. Has vaping saved my life? Quite possibly, the reason why I turned to vaping was because I thought I would die soon if I didn't stop smoking. In the meantime my friend who thinks vaping is crap, continues to kill himself while he waits for the "perfect" quit date. In the meantime he continues to smoke and poison himself, this could easily have been me.

Do I want to quit vaping? Possibly but I don't feel 1 bit guilty about vaping. I don't think Nic alone is harmful in such small dosages. I could vape till the day I died and I wouldn't loose sleep over it. I'm hoping to slowly buy weaker juice and wean myself off nic, eventually only vape pure VG, but I don't see this happening anytime soon. I'm technically a non smoker who still smokes, its like cheating death and I love it.

In the meantime purists who say "If I wanted to quit smoking I wouldn't vape, I would just quit", all I want to say to these folks is get real... That perfect moment to quit might never arrive, you can easily still be a 25-40 day smoker in 5 or 10 years from now. Lets not forget smoking is the number 1 killer of the human race.

Am I an addict - yes, I started smoking out of peer pressure at a very young age, making it nearly impossible for me to be nic free for extended periods at a time. Do I blame myself? Not really, if the FDA or any other organization out there really wanted to help people they would make analogs completely illegal. So I was conned into smoking. Nic is highly addictive more so than ...... I've heard. Vaping is the only sustainable way I see to live in relative peace with this addiction.

Vocalek, hope this clears things up.

Last edited:

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Well the commercal for that one with the lady with the annoying accent makes me want an analog just to be spiteful...

And who the hell talks to a pack of ciggies like she claims to have done when she found them in her pocketbook?? To me it sounds like those damn drugs have caused the Bitc* to have psycotic episodes if she's talking to a pack of ciggies and seems to expect them to reply to her screaming "No.. Don't throw me away.."... I bet a year from now she will have wished she kept that partial pack of smokes....

Last edited:

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Well the commercal for that one with the lady with the annoying accent makes me want an analog just to be spiteful...

And who the hell talks to a pack of ciggies like she claims to have done when she found them in her pocketbook?? To me it sounds like those damn drugs have caused the Bitc* to have psycotic episodes if she's talking to a pack of ciggies and seems to expect them to reply to her screaming "No.. Don't throw me away.."... I bet a year from now she will have wished she kept that partial pack of smokes....

Maybe she's hittin' the nicotine-free wacky tobacco now. :)

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Article from Yahoo about the 10 deadliest cancers-

1. Lung and bronchial cancer: 792,495 lives
Lung and bronchial cancer is the top killer cancer in the United States. Smoking and use of tobacco products are the major causes of it, and it strikes most often between the ages of 55 and 65, according to the NCI. There are two major types: non-small cell lung cancer, which is the most common, and small cell lung cancer, which spreads more quickly. More than 157,000 people are expected to die of lung and bronchial cancer in 2010.

The 10 Deadliest Cancers and Why There's No Cure - Yahoo! News

Keep up the good work fellas, nail those dangerous e-cigs! /s

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Alcohol consumption is suposed to cause cancer to, but you don't see them screaming that we all need to stop drinking, and of course they never raise taxes on alcohol like they do on tobacco every 5 minutes...

There have been so many studies that contradict the "smoking causes cancer and you will die from it" theory that I really don't believe any of it.. Then again, I never believe anything that we are being told anyway, if it comes contrary to anything I chose to do anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread