Asmodus Zesthia vs OBS Crius 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrObscura

Apr 30, 2018
Hi, I am in the market for a single coil RTA with a focus on flavor while still producing a decent amount of vape production. After a lot of research, reading up on, reading/watching reviews, I was pretty much settled on the OBS Crius 2. But then I discovered the Zesthia. It sounds like a tank right up my alley, but there's very little info on it. And what's there seems to be all over the place, especially when it comes to airflow. One reviewer will say it's super airy, and another will say it's rather restricted.

Anyway, I know there's a long thread on the rta here, which I've read through, but I'd appreciate if anyone who has the tank and as used the Crius 2 can compare the two directly, especially in regards to flavor and airflow. Thanks.

Last edited:

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
@PJReid this questions for you. @madstabber you can chime in here too.

OBS Crius II is a great atty. Nice af, looks, and easy build/wick. Tasty vape.

The Zesthia runs rings around the single coil Crius II. IMO, the Zesthia runs rings around the double coil Crius II as well. The Zesthia is still the best single coil RDA I have used. I am a big fan.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
The Zesthia runs rings around the single coil Crius II. IMO, the Zesthia runs rings around the double coil Crius II as well. The Zesthia is still the best single coil RDA I have used. I am a big fan.
Can you compare the af for him Pam? He was asking about that. Love that you are still loving it, that's the way I feel about my Nanos.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Can you compare the af for him Pam? He was asking about that. Love that you are still loving it, that's the way I feel about my Nanos.

For me, the AF is better on the Zesthia but the single coil Crius II is an airy tank as well. The Zesthia is, for me, somewhat airier, which is my preference but the AF can be closed halfway or all the way if less AF is desired. The same is true of the Crius II but there is something about the design of the Zesthia that condenses the vapor into the upper chimney, increasing the flavor. I honestly think that the design is better. The machining is impressive and I really do believe the design is superior. AF is probably about the same, depending on how open or closed the AF holes are but the flavor is better on the Zesthia. Once I got the Zesthia, I haven't used a Crius II since. It is still a good tank, but I prefer everything about the Zesthia. It is super easy to build on as well. I hope this helps.

MrObscura

Apr 30, 2018
Thanks. I prefer airy with a lot of flavor so that's why I originally settled on the Crius 2. But then I heard about the zesthia. I've seen your posts in other threads praising it and was really interested in an AF comparison, since like I said some people have said it's a very airy tank, while others have said it's rather restricted even fully open. I knew you had both from your other posts, so I appreciate the feedback.

Also, if you don't mind, how is it with wicking? I've only used an RDA up to this point and tend to chain vape a bit. And what kind of coils have you ran in it and at what kind of wattage? Thanks again.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Thanks. I prefer airy with a lot of flavor so that's why I originally settled on the Crius 2. But then I heard about the zesthia. I've seen your posts in other threads praising it and was really interested in an AF comparison, since like I said some people have said it's a very airy tank, while others have said it's rather restricted even fully open. I knew you had both from your other posts, so I appreciate the feedback.

Also, if you don't mind, how is it with wicking? I've only used an RDA up to this point and tend to chain vape a bit. And what kind of coils have you ran in it and at what kind of wattage? Thanks again.

The deck on the Zesthia is SO easy to build - wish all tanks had that build deck. I find the tank to be airy if the AF is fully open. My current favorite RDA is that Manta, a dual coil, and compared to the Zesthia, no contest on the build deck. I install the coil in the Zesthia fairly high. It looks a fair amount of cotton - snug in the coil and long enough to fully fill the flow holes. That might be the problem with some finding it restrictive - too much cotton stuffed into the channels and into the bottom if that makes sense. It really is easy, though I know that one of the reviewers made it look tricky. It isn't. I used Clapton coils, usually Ni80 but sometimes SS - single core, fused, fused triple core, always 3mm (though the deck is roomy enough for a 4mm coil. I build my coils between .23 and .30 ohms depending on the wire. I usually use a Minikin V2 or a Therion 75C and set the wattage depending on the juice I am using. The Zesthia is flavorful at 40 watts (currently I am vaping a Fizzy Pink Lemonade and a Piña Colada and don't want those too warm.) 60 watts is as high as I have gone with it. At 40 watts it still has good cloud production if that is important to you.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
On my zesthia I’ve used coils 3.5mm Id twisted 22+28 gauge ss with 6 wraps I think. That’s the biggest but 3 or 3.5 fit quite nice. I’ve ran aliens and vertabraid and other fancy coils I’ve bought. They all fit and I vape them between 40-60 watts generally. The Zesthia is a fine rta

MrObscura

Apr 30, 2018
Thanks for the info. Up to this point I've only used a wasp nano and have been building my own SS316 simple round wire builds. I've tried various IDs and number of wraps and have settled on 3mm, 10 wraps, coming in around .5 ohms, vaped in temp control 50w(or "joules" now that I'm using a vboy 200) and 450f for a thick, warm vape. That works best for simple round builds in the wasp imo as far as flavor and vapor production are concerned. And I tend to take long, deep pulls so without temp control things can get too hot very quick. Or at less wattage not hot enough.

I think I'm going to order some complex pre built coils from advanced vape supply, but I'm not sure what to go with, so a sample pack might work. I do know I want a warm thick vape at no more than 50 watts since I chain vape and will burn through batteries and juice to quickly for my liking if I go with higher watt builds.

Which brings me to another question, kind of off topic, how exactly does the gauge size of claptons/fused claptons effect the vape? Say resistance is about the same but one coil uses thicker wire and another uses thinner to achieve the same resistance, how will the vape change? Oh, and what kind of coils do you like best in the Zesthia?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I love AVS tri core fc. 6 wrap 3mm brings me in at .42, so a 7 wrap will get you maybe .46. Their staggered fc is great for rda builds. I always order the thinner wire for faster ramp. Since you use tc I would go for the four or three core with some thicker wire to get the resistance up without crowding the deck. AVS code is worth 20% off.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I haven’t noticed much difference using exotic coils. I have tried a bunch and they work fine I just haven’t noticed any difference over my twisted coils. Since I can twist my own wire, those are the cheapest so that’s what I use. AVS is the place to go for prebuilt ss coils. Definitely worth trying some of their coils and see what works for you.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, one difference is the more metal (including thicker gauge wire OR exotic builds) is that your mod may require more power to get the wire heated up to vape, so more exotic builds and/or even dual builds will run into that issue. It's not necessarily a problem just a change.

Folks using more exotic wires do sometimes feel they get a better or more "flavorful" vape, as there is more surface area heating up and producing vapor.

Depending on how robust you want your build to be and the amount of wattage you want to run through it, well it can be good to tailor that to your vaping style. A thinner coil may not hold up under high heat and etc., I've had a coil burn in two by accidentally raising my wattage to 53 degrees on a vape that functioned quite happily as a 14 watt MTL vape, etc. So part of it may be dependent on what kind of vape and wattage you desire.

There is tons to experiment with, it does seem most AVS buyers have been happy with the quality of the coils. I've purchased prebuilt coils from Fasttch for my bad days, and they were cheaper (and simple round builds) but, I wouldn't call them high quality, exactly.

Just keep in mind the general principle: more mass may require more wattage, and factor that in. Also, if you want to TC an exotic build, then it is the central wire that needs to be TC capable (although I think with some of the more precise DNA mods, that may be easier to do and etc.)

Best of luck,

Anna

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
It is kind of great that @Letitia tagged me in this thread. I have been using Manta tanks lately and the Zesthia was in the dreaded vape drawer. LOL I pulled it out, gave it a new coil, and wicked it up. It is amazing that the flavor of the single coil Zesthia matches that of my dual-coil Manta. It is MUCH better, IMO than the dual coil Crius II, which I have still not come to love. Thanks for reminding me how much I love the Zesthia. Now, if Asmodus would only make a rainbow Zesthia, I would be a very happy camper.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I still haven't built the Crius II dual. Wish there was more info for the Engine II.

I'm going to let someone else be the early adopter on the engine 2. That deck is just plain weird and I have no idea if it will end up with superior airflow from the top.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I still haven't built the Crius II dual. Wish there was more info for the Engine II.

I have installed different coils in the darn thing and thought it is okay, I was hoping for better than okay. It just doesn't pack much flavor for me. I will keep trying. Bought it for Andrew but he won't give up his Crius I for the Crius II. I don't blame him.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
After reading through this thread I just ordered the Zethia. Thanks for all the great input people.
You won’t be disappointed, she’s a fine RTA. Only con is it doesn’t come with a 510 driptip adapter. Which if you don’t use 510’s isn’t a con at all. If you do, it’s remedied with a $2 adapter.

MrObscura

Apr 30, 2018
just an update... i will likely be ordering the zesthia, but i have credit at fasttech, so, itll be through them and they arent shipping it until at least the 9th, and then itll probably be at least a couple weeks more once they do ship it. so, ill let you know how i like it once i get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread