May 6, 2016
NY
Reactions: SnapDragon NY

MidwestGuy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
Iowa
I've been playing around with different wicking/build techniques...

Sweet spot so far: SS316L, 9.5 wraps spaced, 3.2~mm coil, .56ohms

Wicking with KGD, outer course fiber layer removed from both sides, slightly pulled apart and lightly rolled back up (not twisted). Enough tension through the coil when pulling through as to not mangle the coil, then pulled back and forth to eliminate any "bunching" on the ends. Trimmed to just past the outer ring, maybe 1-2mm, then fluffed the ends again to eliminate any more bunching. I then wet the wicks, and lightly fold underneath the coil, setting most of the wick on the deck over the liquid holes, with a few of the fibers from (what was) the top of the wick sticking out of the coil in to the liquid hole. There is quite a bit of wick on the deck extending past the liquid holes under the coil, enough that the wick from either side is bridged/touching in a sort of oval. The small amount of fibers going through the liquid hole do NOT touch the base, just go a little ways through.

This method, so far, has given me the most satisfying experience ... slightly warm, a little crackly (but not spitting/popping), just the way I like it. Running my DNA75 @ 470F, 40W with a 60W medium (5) punch pre-heat for 1 second. It gets up to 470F rather quickly and then smooths out nicely/maintains that temp.

I did try several different methods, lighter on the cotton and all the way through the holes, heavy on the cotton and half through the hole/half resting on the deck, shorter tails with nothing through the deck ... all worked, but the vape was a little too dry for me in most cases, or when I was too thin it was spitting back and popping too much. The method above seems to be a sort of "happy medium" I'd say.

Still by far the best tank I've ever owned. :D

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
Got my Nano yesterday and I love this thing!! Flavor is just as good as the original and the single coil build deck is ridiculously easy to use. Vapor production is just as good as the the original. I threw in the coil that came with it & it comes in at around .35, my original will probably be very sad sitting on the shelf... Lol
fc7475f7879e6df15509548559c17060.jpg

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Aaaand, probably deserving its own thread, but now I see OBS has an RDTA with top airflow so no leaking. Looks clever, no idea if it works well or when it will be found in the wild.
Frost Wyrm.jpg
Frost Wyrm 3.JPG
frost wrym 4.JPG

Or maybe this is old news, and I just missed it, in which case never mind, but I got a feeling this is a new one.

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Reactions: nocigsnomore

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Turns out it has been bopping around for a few months. Prices from ~$15 on Efuntop, to ~$35 from Advanced Vape supply in the US. No idea why I haven't seen anything about this RDTA. Off to YouTube to see if anyone has reviewed it.

Edit: and I found a review from Advanced Vape on it

Last edited:

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Looks pretty nice. I hope it doesn't spray lava in your mouth!

Don't see why it would. RDTAs act just like RDAs.

Several users report hot spitback with the Engine. If that's a side-effect of the top airflow design, it could be a potential problem with the Frost Wyrm. Only hotter.

Disclaimer: Haven't tried, don't know, just sayin'

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Aaaand, probably deserving its own thread, but now I see OBS has an RDTA with top airflow so no leaking. Looks clever, no idea if it works well or when it will be found in the wild.
View attachment 632705 View attachment 632707 View attachment 632709

Or maybe this is old news, and I just missed it, in which case never mind, but I got a feeling this is a new one.

Can't see how that airflow design would direct airflow to the coils. It looks like a lot of the incoming air would just go straight back up the central air output tube.
The Quad Flex has a top airflow option as well but has an inner sleeve that directs the air all the way down to the coils where it exits directly past the coils. Better airflow design imo and holds almost the same amount of juice (2.8ml vs. 3ml).
That said, you never know, could be the best thing since sliced bread:D

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Can't see how that airflow design would direct airflow to the coils. It looks like a lot of the incoming air would just go straight back up the central air output tube.
The Quad Flex has a top airflow option as well but has an inner sleeve that directs the air all the way down to the coils where it exits directly past the coils. Better airflow design imo and holds almost the same amount of juice (2.8ml vs. 3ml).
That said, you never know, could be the best thing since sliced bread:D

Got me. Maybe it works, maybe not. I was just surprised to have not seen it around here.

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Several users report hot spitback with the Engine. If that's a side-effect of the top airflow design, it could be a potential problem with the Frost Wyrm. Only hotter.

Disclaimer: Haven't tried, don't know, just sayin'

Hot spit back is ALWAYS caused by oversaturation of the wick(s). There are several things can can cause oversaturation eg leaking seals, cracked glass, under powered, wicking method etc.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
View attachment 632705 View attachment 632707 View attachment 632709

It's old... came out about the same time as the others. I did not buy because the wicking method SUCKS. The wick holes are waaaaaay down at the bottom... almost have to wick inverted...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's old... came out about the same time as the others. I did not buy because the wicking method SUCKS. The wick holes are waaaaaay down at the bottom... almost have to wick inverted...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

There you go. That explains it. Looked like a solution to the "don't lay an RDTA on it's side" stuff.

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
I have had mine for three weeks now and I have to say this is the best tank ever. The flavor is out of this world, it is easy to wick and it has not leaked a drop at all. I cannot imagine any manufacturer making a tank that could possibly top this one or be any better in any way. Kudos OBS, you have come up with a real winner here.

StrahmNoMore

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
Hey guys! I actually just picked this up. After over 2 years of vaping its my first RTA. I'm not good with building so I was just gonna use the 2 coils it came with but my oversized snips and inexperienced hands cut the lead on one. So I just threw in the 2 twisted kanthal that came with the limitless. Ohms out to .3 about 70 watts and the flavor is beautiful. Any places you all could recommend for good pre-wrapped coils for this thing? And where you all getting the nano?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread