[WOW] which asthma medications contain nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
A deal is a deal, jeph.....

I don't like to post this stuff (and it IS a PITA to find --- for a reason) because I worry what lurking children might do with the information to experiment with stuff. But you let the cat out of the bag so, I'll just preface this with "To anyone under 18 or looking for a high from nicotine, the amounts of nic in any of these medications are a fraction of an analog, can kill you before you ever feel 'high' and totally unhealthy + illegal to abuse. We're all addicts here with the only option available to live healthier lives. If you feel peer pressure to try what amounts to a lot of junk - literally to the body it's garbage unless you are diagnosed as medically needing it - if you feel peer pressure, you should trust the experience of an adult and tell them you feel pressured. To any bully harrassing you, tell them you forgot something and remove yourself from the situation so you have the chance we didn't - to tell someone before making an adult decision without the skill to understand the consequences of that mistake."

sorry guys, I worry....

Now, jeph....

If you can get past the fact that the FDA is correct but not direct, you might believe the link and back-tracking through them that means having several windows open at a time. Anything can be questioned and debated to death. I haven't met anyone on ecf who agrees with anything the FDA says because of their attack on e-cigs though here's your answer. (SimpleSins, I doubt any of this effects your daughter and if you'd like, I can try to find what are sleeves - not boxes - that can put placed over a child's inhaler if your daughter is very young. They're supposed to make it easier for a child to learn to use them.)

Here's how to discover the names of medications used to treat breathing problems...

Start>>>>>(you'll need a few windows open at the same time to see this as related information/to get the gist of it)

Drug Interactions: What You Should Know
(scroll to nicotine replacements) - to the right you'll see a brief "your dose may need to be adjusted" related to asthma medications and anti-depressants. - not specific other than to suggest to be monitored by a physician. fine.

next....Health Professor - Diseases & Conditions - Bronchitis

mere info on bronchitis, treated with albuterol inhalors.
limited but crucial info to this thread/debate.

Next...(no one publishes this stuff as directly connected to nic because nic is scary to the public perception and to a large degree, the public is correct)....

How breathing disorders are treated or with what....

Antitussive Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

Here's the clinchers:

cough medicine and nicotine - Search results - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia(scroll to legal intoxicants & Dextromethorphan)

+ scroll back up to 'antitussive' on the FDA link.

Therefore, one name for nictotine in oral asthma medication is Guaifenesin,(from webmd site) also found in cough medicine, aspirin, tylenol and other pain killers, including some cortisones.

asthma-medication

You want to know how complicated bio-chemistry is? Take a shot at connecting the drug names at this one.... :blink:

nicotine - therapeutic uses

Nicotine is also found in medications for Parkinson's disease and Altheimer's disease.(I don't know about the latter....I forgot...)

Uses for Nicotine | eHow.com

Medical Uses for Nicotine

and finally

Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

scroll to therapeutic uses last part of 3rd paragraph...." and atopic disorders such as allergic asthma.[62] A plausible mechanism of action in these cases may be nicotine acting as an anti-inflammatory agent...." (it then goes on to contradict that statement because it isn't published as anything other than a drug to help stop smoking, which from the base of the FDA, suggests it is used in medicine and can interfere with required medicines for certain serious health conditions.

Guaifenesin & DXM are two alternate names for extremely low level doses of nic combined with a majority of other meds to treat illness.

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
  • WOW
  • Deleted by Elendil
  • Reason: OT---posting with perosnal attacks/insults

msroulette

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
  • Deleted by Elendil
  • Reason: OT---posting with perosnal attacks/insults

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
jephlewis, I won't even try to educate those unwilling to learn. She obviously lives in her own little narcissistic world where she is always right, and no matter what proof you may have, she is never wrong. Someone who thinks citing sources is doing work for you, but wants you to believe her is just misinformed/unethical...maybe even dilusional.

Hey kid, you're only insulting the FDA and 8 other sources - you haven't even read. And if you don't stop putting words in my mouth this is going to end up being yet another thread you don't care enough about those who might find the information helpful, to not get closed.

You gotta bully people who haven't even joined ECF yet but you're telling me to whatever.

I keep my word. jeph had no problem until he couldn't wait 15 minutes without opening his trash mouth - like I live on-line. Sorry you don't like the truth but I didn't author any of those links that prove it.

You're on your own unless others also don't know how to follow instructions to ascertain scientific fact that doesn't have to do with making their nic addiction fun.

I am not here to entertain ya, kid and I'm glad for that.

edit: Just occurred to me...you didn't want to do your homework but demanded I do it, then you didn't read the links to understand it and topped of those two errors with thinking having done what you refused to, makes me right and gives you license to go off into a fit of jealous rage. Oh ya...and I'm nuts? Holy crap!

Last edited:

Jewel Ship

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
depends
A deal is a deal, jeph.....

I don't like to post this stuff (and it IS a PITA to find --- for a reason) because I worry what lurking children might do with the information to experiment with stuff. But you let the cat out of the bag so, I'll just preface this with "To anyone under 18 or looking for a high from nicotine, the amounts of nic in any of these medications are a fraction of an analog, can kill you before you ever feel 'high' and totally unhealthy + illegal to abuse. We're all addicts here with the only option available to live healthier lives. If you feel peer pressure to try what amounts to a lot of junk - literally to the body it's garbage unless you are diagnosed as medically needing it - if you feel peer pressure, you should trust the experience of an adult and tell them you feel pressured. To any bully harrassing you, tell them you forgot something and remove yourself from the situation so you have the chance we didn't - to tell someone before making an adult decision without the skill to understand the consequences of that mistake."

sorry guys, I worry....

Now, jeph....

If you can get past the fact that the FDA is correct but not direct, you might believe the link and back-tracking through them that means having several windows open at a time. Anything can be questioned and debated to death. I haven't met anyone on ecf who agrees with anything the FDA says because of their attack on e-cigs though here's your answer. (SimpleSins, I doubt any of this effects your daughter and if you'd like, I can try to find what are sleeves - not boxes - that can put placed over a child's inhaler if your daughter is very young. They're supposed to make it easier for a child to learn to use them.)

Here's how to discover the names of medications used to treat breathing problems...

Start>>>>>(you'll need a few windows open at the same time to see this as related information/to get the gist of it)

Drug Interactions: What You Should Know
(scroll to nicotine replacements) - to the right you'll see a brief "your dose may need to be adjusted" related to asthma medications and anti-depressants. - not specific other than to suggest to be monitored by a physician. fine.

next....Health Professor - Diseases & Conditions - Bronchitis

mere info on bronchitis, treated with albuterol inhalors.
limited but crucial info to this thread/debate.

Next...(no one publishes this stuff as directly connected to nic because nic is scary to the public perception and to a large degree, the public is correct)....

How breathing disorders are treated or with what....

Antitussive Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

Here's the clinchers:

cough medicine and nicotine - Search results - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia(scroll to legal intoxicants & Dextromethorphan)

+ scroll back up to 'antitussive' on the FDA link.

Therefore, one name for nictotine in oral asthma medication is Guaifenesin,(from webmd site) also found in cough medicine, aspirin, tylenol and other pain killers, including some cortisones.

asthma-medication

You want to know how complicated bio-chemistry is? Take a shot at connecting the drug names at this one.... :blink:

nicotine - therapeutic uses

Nicotine is also found in medications for Parkinson's disease and Altheimer's disease.(I don't know about the latter....I forgot...)

Uses for Nicotine | eHow.com

Medical Uses for Nicotine

and finally

Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

scroll to therapeutic uses last part of 3rd paragraph...." and atopic disorders such as allergic asthma.[62] A plausible mechanism of action in these cases may be nicotine acting as an anti-inflammatory agent...." (it then goes on to contradict that statement because it isn't published as anything other than a drug to help stop smoking, which from the base of the FDA, suggests it is used in medicine and can interfere with required medicines for certain serious health conditions.

Guaifenesin & DXM are two alternate names for extremely low level doses of nic combined with a majority of other meds to treat illness.
Quoted for reference.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
Chemical formula for guafenesin: C10H14O4
Chemical formula for nicotine: C10H14N2
Chemical formula for dextromethorphan: C18H25NO

Wow, these are all different compounds as evidenced by their chemical formulas. Much like H2O (water) is quite a different animal than H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). These are all different chemicals and the guaifenesin and dextromethorphan have different uses in the treatment of respiratory tract problems which have nothing to do with asthma.

And you have to use Wiki carefully and understand exactly what you are reading, and include the footnotes. The allergic asthma notation is isolated to one study of unknown number in a group of smokers. The group performing the study is just guessing it is the nicotine but they have no idea, and having it appear in one study does not mean that it is appearing in asthma medications.

There is still nothing that I have found on reading through PDRs and various other drug references on hand that indicate that nicotine in any form appears in asthma medications.

And the only reason I responded was out of fear that someone might actually be gullible enough to believe they should not give their child the proper medication for fear of OD'ng them on nicotine. So I will repeat it again: There is no nicotine in any asthma medication, nor is it in Mucinex or Robitussin.

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
jephlewis, I won't even try to educate those unwilling to learn. She obviously lives in her own little narcissistic world where she is always right, and no matter what proof you may have, she is never wrong. Someone who thinks citing sources is doing work for you, but wants you to believe her is just misinformed/unethical...maybe even dilusional.

well-done on your links. The mixed msgs is why I hold to my first point - everyone who vapes should tell their physician. I hope that gave you the insight you were looking for, jephlewis.

I guess this thread is closed?

Happy vaping, guys, if it doesn't make you want to puke first.

Quoted for reference.

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
That was the craziest "posts" I've seen to date here.

How true! lol! That's what happens though when one person asks for proof and another person says "make a doctor's appointment" and it goes back and forth until what a person practically does (vs says) ends up having to be verified by a PERSONAL physician, anyway. lol!

There's only like 10.999999999999 million links that come up with every google search. :blink:

Last edited:

Jewel Ship

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
depends
SimpleSins, you beat me to the punch, but I'm going to post what I've been able to find. You go, Girl!

jephlewis, I won't even try to educate those unwilling to learn... Someone who thinks citing sources is doing work for you, but wants you to believe her is just misinformed/unethical...
I too agree that a refusal to cite sources of a controversial statement to be highly misinformed and/or unethical. I have checked some information from the poster in question, but first I think I need to state I'm not a doctor or anything:

This is a picture of a molecule of Nicotine: File:Nicotine.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a picture of a molecule of Guaifenesin: File:Guaifenesin.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a picture of a molecule of Dextromethorphan: File:Dextromethorphan.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are not the same substance. This isn't even "well, Kool aid is water because Kool aid has some water in it", it's "wood is made of smoke, because when you burn it, that's what comes out".

Dextromethorphan and Guaifenesin are 'cough medicines'; neither of these function as 'rescue' or 'prevention' asthma medicines. Sometimes, one or both of these may be used to get phlegm out of the lungs. They are not asthma medicines.

Bronchitis is not asthma. Neither is Parkinson's or Alzheimer's. A person with asthma may develop any combination of Bronchitis, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's, but their asthma medicine would not treat them. An asthmatic with bronchitis might feel better if they used their 'rescue' inhaler, but it wouldn't really treat the bronchitis, just make it easier for them to breathe for a little bit.

People who have asthma that require 'rescue' medicine won't feel or get any better by taking Dex and/or Gua. Their asthma would not be treated by either of these.

People who have asthma that require 'prevention' medicine won't feel or get any better by taking Dex and/or Gua. Their asthma would not be treated by either of these.

People who may or may not have asthma that have phlegm in their lungs will probably feel or get better by taking Dex and/or Gua.

Dex is in the same family of drugs as "special-K" and "angel dust"; Nicotine is not. This is because Nicotine and Dex are different things, much in the same way that bicycles and an ice statue that is similar in shape to a bicycle are different things.

Dex does bond to some Nicotine receptors in the brain, but so does about 32 other chemicals; they aren't Nicotine either, but some of them may or may not be used in the treatment of asthma.
Alpha-3 beta-4 nicotinic receptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Alpha-4 beta-2 nicotinic receptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Alpha-7 nicotinic receptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Acetylcholine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Think of a house lock and house key; now, some other keys may fit that lock, but that doesn't mean they're house keys, it just means that due to the way the tumblers in the lock are, and the shape of the key, enough of the tumblers accept the non-house key. Dex bonds to some Nicotine receptors, but it's not Nicotine.

This is lending support for my theory that the poster misunderstood some of the side effects of asthma medicine, compared them to Nicotine, and made a faulty inference that they contained Nicotine. I have still yet to see any sources that indicate "asthma medication contains Nicotine" from the poster in question.

So far, all that has been demonstrated is:
1. Dextromethorphan and Guaifenesin aren't asthma medicines.
2. Dextromethorphan and Guaifenesin aren't Nicotine, nor do they contain Nicotine.
3. Dextromethorphan is one non-Nicotine chemical out of at least 32 that bond to Nicotine receptor sites in the brain.

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
WOW please stop emailing people who post asking you to back up your *information* That is called harassment, and it is against the law even on the internet.

I guess no one told you it's harassment to keep belaboring one point, address it to me instead of the forum, after I was through with following up to jeph's direct thread to me (look at the way he named it) ---- done with this over an hour ago. A few of ya's ended up on my block list for how you harassed me over something that didn't concern anyone but jeph.

He should, like y'all take a breather and learn to accept there are two sides to EVERY issue. Yep. Every last one. We're here to live in peace and when that can't be done, I will email to notify someone who continues here, that I will stop it - for myself - by blocking ya. There's enough reasonable vs hotheaded vapors to have a reasonable exchange with. If anyone doesn't like that, use your block user feature from my profile page. I so totally don't care at this point.

It might just give ya the meaning of the words "PRIVATE MSG" - You don't want it private, post it. Then call the police. lol!

Good grief you guys are vaping waaaaaaaaaaay too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread