At what point is somebody really a non smoker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subdivisions

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
PA
I've noticed smokers seem to be the most suspicious. They're the ones who are the most likely to argue with me about it, while my non-smoking friends usually just ignore my vaping. It does seem that smokers are feeling defensive. I'm not even saying anything, they're the ones who start about how dangerous it is when I pull out my vaporizer. :unsure:

Yes, While they inhale heavy metals and formaldehyde. What a bunch of dolts!!!!! heehehhehhe

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
From a psychological point of view, I would say you are "officially" a non-smoker the second you find yourself ready to get rid of that pack. That is, the moment you know for yourself that you don't NEED to hold onto that pack.

That having been said, you are doing great, and if you feel like you are a non-smoker, then you are one. The last remaining remnants of cigarettes have been out of your body over a month now, and the healing process has begun for your nose, your taste buds, your lungs, everything.

I still have my last open pk in a ziplock in the freezer -- but I haven't smoked in a month now, which makes me a non-smoker. But I have to know that I am CHOOSING not to smoke, not be forced into it by anyone or anything or any circumstance, such as not having any cigarettes. Remove that choice, I panic, and might very well choose to go buy some -- and smoke them.

Andria

SmokinRabbit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2009
YES!!! Smokers are threatend by this. I even had a guy that had quit smoking 30 years ago tell me stories he heard on the news about how bad e-cigs are. I like the idea of the foot pedal. Really good for guitar players. LOL. It would be like a talk box but with a vaporizer on the end of it

I've noticed smokers seem to be the most suspicious. They're the ones who are the most likely to argue with me about it, while my non-smoking friends usually just ignore my vaping. It does seem that smokers are feeling defensive. I'm not even saying anything, they're the ones who start about how dangerous it is when I pull out my vaporizer. :unsure:

I went through it this weekend. A family member of mine is a smoker. She was fascinated with my vaping, and how I've cut down to nearly quitting (only 1 tobacco cigarette per day now). However, there was a whole lot of justifying coming out of her. She told me she actually believes people get cancer from quitting. She also told me her doctor told her it was fine she only smoked 8 cigarettes per day (mind you, I think she smokes a whole lot more than 8 per day). She even told me she already has a problem with dry mouth, so vaping might be worse for her than cigarettes.

She's not lost completely though. I found two vape shops in her area that she seemed interested in... took her to a local one here and she was intrigued. She's still mulling it all over.

Meanwhile, on the in-law side of my family, all of whom are non-smokers (and have never smoked)... well, they were all so curious about me and my husband vaping to the point several of them wanted to try it. So completely strange to me!

To answer your question though... not sure when I'll consider myself a "non-smoker"... I'm stilling smoking one lone tobacco cig per day, so obviously I'm not a non-smoker yet. I'm not sure I'll ever be. But cutting down by 39 per day is an achievement I'm pretty darn proud of none-the-less :D

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
But cutting down by 39 per day is an achievement I'm pretty darn proud of none-the-less :D

And so you should be! When I first started this business back in February, I just loved telling my husband the small number I was smoking each day, the minute he walked in the door - "I only smoked 5 all day!" and so on, till it was that one per day, for 3 days. At which point I began to feel like the kid pulling off the bandaid one hair at a time... :D So I figured if I could manage just 1 per day, I could probably manage ok without it -- and I was right, which surprised ME more than anybody! :D

Andria

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Why do you say this?

Because the pressure to quit is often one of the main reasons people fail to do so. (And in context it was a response to "If you're an alcoholic you're always an alcoholic").

Not smoking should be the goal. Some vague definition of "I've made it 3 months without a cigarette so now I can say I've finally quit" is IMHO not productive.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
If you consider vaping not smoking. We are still igniting a substance and inhaling it. Its just not tobacco. So maybe it is healthier. It certainly feels and tastes great, though!

Yes. I do. Just like I would not consider drinking NA-beer as "boozing". If your PV is "igniting" something, then you should get it checked. :)

So, yes, I have quit smoking in a day and an half.

By the third day, I gave away all my smoking-related stuff - three lighters, an half-pack of cigarettes and an unopened pack. :D

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Because the pressure to quit is often one of the main reasons people fail to do so. (And in context it was a response to "If you're an alcoholic you're always an alcoholic").

Not smoking should be the goal. Some vague definition of "I've made it 3 months without a cigarette so now I can say I've finally quit" is IMHO not productive.

As one that drank up his share of the booze years ago, I understand both sides of that coin.

Fact is that if I could feel as well, smell as well, and it tasted as good, and was as satisfying, I would still be smoking.

Last edited:

Towmotor

ECF Veteran
    May 23, 2014
    Welland
    I will always consider myself to be a "smoker" no matter how long I go without one. Experience tells me that I am just one slip up, just one cigarette away from being a full time smoker again. I dont believe that I will slip, but like an alcoholic I know I must stay away at all costs. Thanks to vaping I have the means to do that.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I wouldn't advise anyone to actually quit before they have made the mental decision that they are through smoking. I went from 2 PAD down to 6 cigs a day the first week I vaped. I held on to the last 6 and smoked a couple with morning coffee, one after a meal, and one before bed at night for a long time.

Someone suggested that I start vaping and smoking side by side when I smoked just to compare the two. I did and discovered that my cigarette tasted crappy and the vape tasted good. I was at 24mg nic at that point. I decided that my current pack would be the last one I bought. I finished it off by smoking and vaping after each meal and then never bought another one after that. Until I alternated puffs It wasn't apparent that smoking was nasty.

It's much easier if you can convince yourself that you are through with smoking. Then, you can have peace over quitting. Vaping is better for you and actually does taste better. My quit date was whenever that last pack was gone and I stuck to it. From that day on I could be around smokers without wanting one, and I had a terrible time quitting until my mindset was right. That was two years and 4 months ago. My sig below reflects that.

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    Good question.
    My longest previous quit was 9 months.
    I had 7 packs in a carton in the freezer that I had finally tossed before moving to Florida and I was determined to not bring them with me. October (actually bought in September) to February they sat in there. I have to admit to one split second of panic when they went into the garbage. At that point I had been not smoking for only 4 months.

I truly did not want to celebrate until I had hit a year. For me, that is when I considered myself a non-smoker.

I am a non-smoker for 1 year and 10 months now.

In a sense, it is how one feels personally.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    The hardest part of quitting smoking is feeling like you are throwing away something that's been a part of you for years or decades. The hand to mouth habit is satisfied by vaping, as is the nicotine habit. The MAOI component of tobacco that's enhanced by chemical manipulation in cigarettes is the worst part. You always feel a little hyper when you quit.

Vaping heavy when the urge hits works if your nic level is high enough. 24mg nic was sufficient for me. I am now down to 6mg and fine with it. I may go lower because I want to be able to pass a cotinine test and save $200 a month on insurance. They used to ask if you smoked tobacco. Now, they want to know if you use nicotine.

In November, when I go back for a checkup I'm going to ask for a cotinine test to see how I score. That will tell me where I need to be in vaping to stay legal for insurance.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    For insurance purposes a non smoker is someone who no longer tests positive for cotinine. That's being further quantified by testing for anabasine, a chemical that is in tobacco, but not nicotine replacement products. I wonder how the nicotine in our juice matches up for anabasine? If we show negative, then we are using nicotine replacement products.

Nicotine / Cotinine: The Test

Nicotine and cotinine can both be measured qualitatively or quantitatively. Qualitative testing detects the presence or absence of the substances, while quantitative testing measures the concentration of the substance. Quantitative testing can help distinguish between active smokers, tobacco users who have recently quit, non-tobacco users who have been exposed to significant environmental tobacco smoke, and non-users who have not been exposed.

Cotinine may also be measured in saliva and in hair, although hair testing is primarily used in a research setting, such as a study of non-smokers exposure to tobacco smoke.

A blood or urine nicotine test may be ordered by itself or along with cotinine if a health practitioner suspects that someone is experiencing a nicotine overdose.

When a person has reported that he or she is using nicotine replacement products but is no longer smoking, nicotine, cotinine, and urine anabasine measurements may sometimes be ordered. Anabasine, an alkaloid, is present in tobacco but not in commercial nicotine replacement products. If a sample tests positive for anabasine, then the person is still using tobacco products

seminolewind

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2009
    Corydon Indiana
    You are not a smoker anymore when you quit smoking analogs. Some people will tell you that that's not really quitting. But it is. If you vape, you are a vaper.
    I don't get the FDA saying that e-juice is a tobacco product when the only thing we get from tobacco is nicotine, and they don't say that about the gum and lozenges or patches. I don't think it's right to lump vaper PG and nicotine a tobacco product.

Don't let anyone tell you that vaping is smoking. They are misinformed.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA

That sort of pressure is WHY I keep that last open pk in the freezer -- by keeping it, there IS no pressure, there is only MY OWN FREE CHOICE. As long as it's MY choice, I'm fine with not smoking.

Along with that pk in the freezer, though, I also keep in mind how much harder it was to get to that choice, this 2nd time around, and also how much more difficult it is this time getting the crud out of my lungs, even though I only smoked for a month after my illness -- my asthma is being a lot more troublesome, this time around, and my asthma is about 95% of my reason for quitting. The other 5% is the usual stuff; I saw my dad die of lung cancer, everyone (including my husband) hates the smell, smokers are discriminated against because of that smell (and because smokers are just EVIL, dontcha know! :facepalm:), and cigarettes cost a fortune -- all those points in the 5% are important, but to me, not nearly as important as being able to breathe and not be sucking on my inhaler 10 times a day, or putting myself at substantial risk for my asthma developing into true COPD - emphysema.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    I will always consider myself to be a "smoker" no matter how long I go without one. Experience tells me that I am just one slip up, just one cigarette away from being a full time smoker again. I dont believe that I will slip, but like an alcoholic I know I must stay away at all costs. Thanks to vaping I have the means to do that.

I'm in the same position regarding cigarettes, but I'm still a non-smoker, as long as I don't smoke, just like I'm a non-drinker, as long as I don't drink. That has nothing whatever to do with the fact that I'm an alcoholic and will be till the day I die. Yes, I'm an addict; I know if i ever smoke again, I'll be right back at it, and the same goes for drinking. But being an 'addict' does not mean I am still a smoker -- as long as I don't smoke, I'm a non-smoker. Being an alcoholic does not mean I'm still a drinker, either -- I'm a non-drinker as long as I don't drink.

Andria

Krashman Von Stinkputin

ECF Veteran
    Dec 31, 2013
    Missouri
    For insurance purposes a non smoker is someone who no longer tests positive for cotinine. That's being further quantified by testing for anabasine, a chemical that is in tobacco, but not nicotine replacement products. I wonder how the nicotine in our juice matches up for anabasine? If we show negative, then we are using nicotine replacement products.

DaveP brings up a great point here as life/health insurance policy rates are typically higher for smokers.
    Has anyone actually been able to obtain lower policy rates by switching to vaping?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA

f a sample tests positive for anabasine, then the person is still using tobacco products.

I have to wonder how using WTA fits into that. I am not smoking, have not smoked in a month, but to keep the cravings at bay and away, as well as weather the emotional mayhem, I'm also adding a very small amount of WTA -- that does not make me a smoker, but I wonder how it would show up in testing.

Andria

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread