Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
I seem to remember an electo guru who claimed switchig off lightbulbs too often is not economical, cause it destroys the bulb. He said that for anything less that 10 minutes it is not worth. If that is true and the peak current in the switching milisecond does most damage, it is completely irrelevant if the drag is 1 or 5 seconds long.

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
Vinegar dissolves mineral buildups in domestic appliances that use water,

Well then have you ever been able to boil in vinegar to revive a "dead" atomizer? I'm just curious; If nothing has actually broken inside the atomizer and buildup is the only problem, it would stand to reason that some solvent should be able to revive dead atomizers.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I truley believe it the the autoclean feature on the batteries--my first two atomizers lasted 3 weeks each till I got my usb passthough and this atomizer is going on a month with never any "burn char" taste that that clean cycle produced and unless you are sitting in front of a mirror it is hard to catch the blinging cylce fo the autoclean fast enough to screw the battery out before the damage is done.

Maybe some of that CLR stuff that can dissolve minerals and rust?

It contains several different acids, one or more of which may help...

How Does CLR Work? | eHow.com

It would be great if someone could rip apart a bunch of their old gunky atomizers, yank the coil sections out, and then test various liquids on them to actually see which is best at dissolving the gunk.

- boiling water / soap
- vinegar
- rubbing alcohol
- CLR
- others ???

I truley believe it the the autoclean feature on the batteries--my first two atomizers lasted 3 weeks each till I got my usb passthough

Do the USB passthroughs not have a cleaning cycle? I was under the impression that they used the same chips inside...?

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Do the USB passthroughs not have a cleaning cycle? I was under the impression that they used the same chips inside...?

I have been using 2 passthoughs of several that I bought from Steve and I have not had any cleaning cycle fire on either one if them and it has been a about a month now. Believe me if there was on in there it would have fired off by now. The batteries fired it like clockwork and the taste in the atomizer was nasty as I am sure you know. I keep the Atomizer seperate for the batteries as I do not want them screwing the atomizers I use with my USB. I only use batterys when I vape occationally now

Last edited:

billster88

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2008
canada
www.smokestik.com
I actually don't think the cleaning cycle does anything usefull...It sounds like a neat feature but at the same time don't think it help/hurts the atomizer as much as one would think..I think Trog is right about the people who drip Vs cart only users...but I can say that using the same cart after a while is not great because it get loose and doesn't have a tight fit anymore...by using the same cart I mean dripping on the cart to refill it and not having to change a cart for a new one..any thoughts?

Bill
::: SmokeStick :::

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
EVO solved that problem by saying how many puffs their atts are able to take. 12K, I think.

they might have altered it but it was 6K i think.. so far they are the only sellers that have come up with some figures but its still only half the story.. without my question one answered its meaningless..

lithium battery makers come up with a life span based on charge/discharge cycles..

their idea of knackered is when it reaches 80% of new capacity.. my 70% efficiency for atomizers was being kind..

plus using the battery makers figures an e cig battery could be considered to be knackered after as little as ten charge/discharge cycles..

the same questions need answering for batteries as atomizers..

what does worn out mean.. with batteries its charge/discharge cycles.. how many before the worn out stage is reached..

with atomizers it would be how much fluid is processed before the worn out stage is reached..

puffs could be used.. 8000 would be a reasonable figure for both atomizers and a pair of mini type batteries.. assuming a reasonable worn out figure is used..

70% of new would be reasonable..

these figures if used would tell a story no e cig maker (or seller) wants told thow.. less than two weeks use for a heavy user then it needs replacing..

many weeks use for a typical forum enthusiast who owns a dozen and never works any of them hard..

i know PC hardware enthusiasts (me every so often) who buy the latest $600 dollar graphics card as soon as one comes out.. ask em how long it lasts and they wont have the faintest idea.. they dont care.. how long will my overclocked cpu last.. dunno i chuck them long before they wear out..

the point i am trying to make is.. asking an enthusiast how long anything lasts is a waste of time.. they dont know and most dont care.. most posters on this forum are enthusiasts.. their new toy arrives long before their old one wears out..

i have said this may times before.. both e cig batteries and atomizers should be considered semi disposable items.. and yes that includes the ones that come with an SD before someone comments..

we say an atomizer will last a heavy user around two weeks.. the batteries using lithium battery manufacturers figures of 400 charge/discharge cycles should in theory last a year.. i doubt they will thow.. perhaps a couple of months or less on average.. say 60 charge.discharge cycles at a guess.. or 60 days..

trog

Last edited:

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
I'm not sure if most posters here are enthusiasts... I myself at least do care a great deal about how long this stuff lasts. I would rather have one boring pen style that just works consistently for a good long time than buy a new toy every month. The only reason I'd buy a new e-cig, aside from my old one breaking, would be if I learned of a new one that vaped better and more consistently.

parapo

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Greece
I have been using 2 passthoughs of several that I bought from Steve and I have not had any cleaning cycle fire on either one if them and it has been a about a month now. Believe me if there was on in there it would have fired off by now. ...

ones the passthrough is unplugged,it looses it's memory.
a empty battery has still some charge and keeps the memory.

now,if someone would use a passthrough in a computer that never shut's down,and never unplug it,i'm sure there will be a cleaning cycle.

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
ones the passthrough is unplugged,it looses it's memory. a empty battery has still some charge and keeps the memory.

now,if someone would use a passthrough in a computer that never shut's down,and never unplug it,i'm sure there will be a cleaning cycle.

I have had mine since mid Nov, have never unplugged it, keep my computer on 24/7 and I honestly don't recall any cleaning cycle.

Oh well. That did seem like a really good theory, Parapo.

Lu, you really haven't shut down your computer since November? That's pretty impressive. Are you running Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread