Atomizer making battery hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrostyDream

Feb 11, 2012
United States
I have a 2.0 ohm 510 atomizer, unknown brand. It is black and doesn't look like it has a bridge, but a little pointy thing in the middle. Never seen one like this before... Anyway, it was my friends and he gave it to me but it was a bit burnt so I boiled it in water and now it tastes okay. It gives pretty good vapor but here is the thing... After about 5-6 pulls it gets really hot and gets the top of my ego battery hot. (the part with the threads and button) After about 10 drags it's hot enough to hurt. Is this going to damage that battery, or worse, cause it to explode? I know that sounds kinda paranoid but I just don't want to get my lips blown off... It isn't affecting me otherwise since I'm not touching the hot part when vaping.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
A Good Rule of Thumb for e-Cigarettes...

If Something is Getting Hot to the Touch, there is Something Wrong.

It sounds like you have a Very Low Resistance (LR) atty. And a LR Atty could damage a Smaller Battery like an eGo. I would stop using it ASAP.

BTW - Do any of your other Attys get Hot when you use them?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I agree with the above comments: this atty is probably too low a resistance for that battery. LR really should only be used with a high-drain battery. If the vapor is just ok, my guess is you are keeping the button pressed for a long time to try to get vapor. The atty sounds like a 510-T atty, with the little pointy thing being a stainless steel wick that would normally be sticking into a tank-like cartridge. If it is a cone-atty, then it is probably an Ego-T atty, and would also be designed for that wick to be in a tank cartridge. They can be used for dripping, but they are not designed well for it. this might be why you are not getting optimal vapor, and probably holding the button too long. Low airflow might also make you hold the button too long. This is usually why an ego battery will get very hot: too long sitting on that button. If the button presses are short (3-4 seconds max), then it is probably actually lower than 2.0 ohms, which is around the cutoff resistance for an ego-type battery, and should be used only on a high-drain battery mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread