Atomizers Gouging Center Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

jivefly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
DS, La
As the topic states, some atomizers come with a center post that is designed with slits made for air flow and the end result is that they seriously gouge and damage the brass center post on the top cap even with applying very little pressure. I really enjoy using the ikenvape, vortex, and CE2 clearos but they all come with this design.

How long can I expect the top cap to last with this type of wear? I suppose buying an extra top cap and alternate sending them in for repair would be a good practice, but I think it would be a better option for both customers and Super T to have a top cap made available with a stainless post to provide better protection against this. I know the conductivity wouldn't be as good, but the rest of the unit is stainless and it seems to do just fine.

At any rate, if anyone else has experienced this, what have you done to prevent it from doing damage? If I screw the atomizer in loosely, it makes for a loose connection of course, and in my opinion would probably cause more damage as it allows the atty to move around and grind away at the material.

Thanks for any ideas, and hopefully we can get some stainless center posts in the works. :)

Maz

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
UK
Wow that's weird, I wonder what's causing it? Unless it's a luck of the draw thing, I haven't used Ikenvape atties but I've used CE2s, both steel and clearos on it since I got it, in fact to date it's the only carto/atty to have ever been used on it as I love them.
I'm just waiting on some vortex's being delivered to try them out, I hope it's not them causing the problem, I'll shout up if I notice anything though..

I'm worried now :blink: :laugh:

spek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Oregon
I've got an ikenvape atty here and I don't see the air slots that you're talking about. I haven't had any problems with that at all. You could try a little noalox or whatever its called on the center post to reduce friction.

The problem I've been having is that my attys are getting screwed in too far and it pushes up on the center post and moves it out of position. I've been really careful to not over tighten it but it still happened on a 3rd atty rendering it effectively useless. I tried pulling the post back down on the 2nd atty and it worked but it was still pushed back up. After doing this a few times I ended up pulling it out to far and causing a short and a hot precise. One hypothesis is that the vapemate may have caused some unnoticed tightening.

In general, it sounds like we're having the same issue jivefly - the attys are being screwed in too far and causing problems.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Center posts are made of brass, which is a highly conductive material, but quite soft. This wear made by your atomizers in the center post is completely nomral and nothing to be concerned about and in two years, i've never had a center post fail and should it ever fail, i can always press a new one in for you.

The only thing ever needed to be done to your center post is to have the corrosion cleaned off it, which is best done by taking a pencil with an eraser on the end of it, trimming it just enough to fit in the hole and spinning it back and forth, it does wonders for cleaning the hard to get at brass post down in there. Finish by washing out with warm water and soap and a toothbrush to get out any gunk.

Also, Mothers aluminum polish works great for cleaning brass parts, be they caps, buttons or center posts.

Hope that helps!

David

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread