Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
We are really, really sorry about being offline for so long. This is what happened.

A staff member had their login credentials stolen (nothing to do with ECF), and as a result a hacker was able to load some malware onto the site. This resulted in a possibility that passwords may have been stolen from those logging in at ECF. You may have seen a blue Announcement at the top of the forum and this was related to the malware attack - while that announcement was displayed, there is a small possibility passwords may have been compromised.

After exhaustive analysis of our servers and the software we use, we believe that what happened is the following: another, well known, website was recently hacked and many thousands of username/passwords combinations were stolen. This is not possible on our platform since password storage is encrypted. We believe that our staff member was using the same password/username combination on ECF and on the compromised website, and so it was a simple matter for the attacker to do a google search for his username, which he found on ECF. The staff member's account did not have access to any personal details of any members, and our Admin accounts are strongly protected by IP restrictions.

We don't think many logins (if any) were stolen but even so it is better to change all passwords to be safe.

At the same time, we have been planning a server migration. Traffic has increased tremendously and we now need new resources to cope. A change of equipment would have resulted in further downtime in a week or so - so the decision was taken to bring the migration forward and avoid going offline again in a few days.

Also note that some of the downtime experienced individually is attributable to local DNS propagation issues. Because we have moved to a new host, our DNS has changed. If you are using OpenDNS or GoogleDNS IPs on your router for the DNS IP service, you get the new network location update within 10 minutes. Some other DNS services, such as those on suboptimally managed ISPs, take much longer - maybe up to 24 hours. We are also seeing this with some mobile services.

Now we are back up online with a new server cluster at a new host and ready for the huge traffic that the global increase of vapers to at least 20 million will bring just in the next couple of years.

Thank you very much for your patience!

Tips
- To make sure you're looking at the latest version of a page, hit F5 (at top of keyboard) or Ctrl+F5 (Control and F5 at the same time, control is at the bottom left of the keyboard). This means 'get new version' or 'rebuild the page from scratch'.

- If using Tapatalk, download the latest version - the old versions wreck some site functions.

- To clear a browser of old site info that is now incorrect, delete all private data. You need to flush all cookies, cache, history.

- Never, ever use the same password on different websites. Just don't. Use a real password (gibberish with numbers, letters, upper case letters), and use a different password on every site. This means you will probably need to use a password manager app like Roboform, KeePass, LastPass. You can get a portable version that goes on a USB stick. Make sure to use a master password for the app.

rodsky77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Switzerland
Hi
Good job on coming back so quickly :) - this could've taken much longer....

There are a few issues with the site:
1) The following links when clicked show this message:
Invalid Forum specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
The links are as follows: InfoZone and Coupons

2) When I click on Contacts, it just looks like I've clicked on the Forum link

3) Tapatalk can't connect to the site, just says: Failed to connect to forum, please check with the forum administrator if the problem persists

Thanks,
rodsky77

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Thanks everyone for posting bugs. We will be monitoring this thread and ensuring that everything works properly. We are currently aware of issues with the non-forum link structure, as well as an issue with some people not able to access the new server at all.

Just want to add my apologies here as well. We could have managed this better, but I really hope that the fact we've now migrated (once the gremlins are booted out) means that everyone will have a better ECF experience in the long-term.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
'First Unread' and similar 'memory' settings have probably been flushed - it's back to zero for those I'm afraid.

Tapatalk is not working yet. Please download the latest version, old versions of Tapatalk cause us huge problems as they are not compliant with modern web requirements.

Our Infozone section, Coupons section, and ECF Support ticket system, are not yet online.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
The memory flush thing is not the total cause. I have revisited threads and still cannot get to the newest post. I'm also having problems with quoting people on the iPad. It will pretty much dump me out of ECF and then it is like yesterday all over again. Clear out cache, pray and nothing.

I've had to reset my password several times. ECF is working on my PC......for now. We shall see how long that lasts.

Just got on ECF on my iPad..... will keep you posted on how ECF works on both devices, PC and iPad.

What a nightmare for the ECF staff! Stupid :censored: hackers......

*mumbling while leaving the room* you would think hackers would have something better to do since they are smart enough to figure out hacking.......

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Thanks everyone for posting bugs. We will be monitoring this thread and ensuring that everything works properly. We are currently aware of issues with the non-forum link structure, as well as an issue with some people not able to access the new server at all.

Just want to add my apologies here as well. We could have managed this better, but I really hope that the fact we've now migrated (once the gremlins are booted out) means that everyone will have a better ECF experience in the long-term.

oh my! you locked out liscab! :lol: from his fb post

the forum asked me to change my password, I did, but after that when i tried again to go into the forum i had to use my old password but the forum is down again

any advise i can pass on to him? ;

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
oh my! you locked out liscab! :lol: from his fb post

any advise i can pass on to him? ;

The same thing was happening to me. Have him keep trying. ECF sent a new temporary password, not sure if the temp worked or if the new one I created worked or going back to my old one. Once I finally got back in, without a yellow banner, I changed my password AGAIN in my settings. If he manages to finally get on, have him go to his settings and reset his password.

Hopefully that helps

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I'm afraid of quoting right now.....I keep getting dumped.

As to the newest post issue: it is really hard, on a very active and long thread, if that feature is not available. I have to go to last post and work my way backwards LOL

Doing the same, what a pain on long threads.

Newest post not working on new threads either. Read a new thread, 10 minutes later it had new posts, I clicked on the take me to the icon to take me to the newest unread post and it took me to Post #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread