Basic questions about RDAs+Regulated Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaHaVape

Jan 24, 2019
Hello guys, I hope you are doing fine,
So I'm looking for a good Mod Box, and accurate rda for it,
Of course, I want some cloud chasing, but safely,
Is a VooPoo Drag 2 any good to start with? Can I add a rda to it? How to choose the right one?
I'm looking for a regulated Mod+rda setup, so if you have any good one to suggest, Post it here,
I have a good budget of 60~70$, for Box and RDA only,
Thanks

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Welcome to the forums.

Safety is about understanding the limitations of your devices. When paring a regulated device such as the Drag 2 with an atomizer, regardless if it is a subohm tank, RDA or RTA, you need to respect their limitations along with the limitations of your batteries. Before jumping in head first, check out the many videos from Battery Mooch. Educate yourself on battery safety.

Battery Mooch

Don’t own a Drag 2 so can’t comment on it, but it will function like many of the other variable wattage mods that are available on the market. Practically any atomizer could be used with the Drag 2. But rebuildable’s (RDA, RTA’s)’s do require a basic knowledge of what coils to use and proper wicking. You can also achieve good flavour and dense clouds with a simple subohm tank that is much more user friendly. Freemax Mesh offers wide range of different drop in coils, has great flavour and produces dense clouds.

But if dead set on an RDA, perhaps take a look at the Drop Dead. Provides decent flavour, dense clouds both of which will be dependent on how you build it, and it is fairly user friendly. Start with simple coil builds, such as 24 – 26 gauge Kanthol or Ni80. Once you become more accustomed to how coils operate in terms of resistance, mass and required power, you can move up toward more exotic coils if you wish.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
He's gonna have hard time as a beginner with Drop dead.Maybe a single coil rda would be better

That’s entirely possible. Despite being a dual coil RDA, I found the Drop Dead to be very easy to build on. No coil orientation to worry about, just drop them in, clamp, trim if needed and wick. And given its size it is very versatile which can lead to experimentation thus knowledge. And because it is one of the more popular RDA’s and modeled around the Drop and Dead Rabbit, there are many tutorials and or YouTube videos on it. Every RDA will have its own learning curve – some more complex than others. I feel the Drop Dead or any of the Dead series to be easy builds.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
Hey HaHaVape,

70 USD is a good budget for a starter kit. Do you have experience vaping? If you're not sure which sort of style might suit you, it might be wise to get a more versatile rda that allows for a bit of DTL (direct lung inhales with big clouds) and a bit of MTL vaping (mouth to lung inhaling like a cigarette). My favourites:

RDA
  • Drop Solo: Great quality construction. The airflow is very versatile and ranges from flavorful MTL to creating your own mistbanks. Single coil with lots of space to build and wick. 30-35 USD
  • Ctulhu mods 1928: Nice reduced chamber and simple design. You're limited to smaller coils and have less space to build but the deep juice well will be helpful when you're not sure how much to drip yet. MTL to restricted direct lung hit ready. 20-25 USD
  • Oumier Wasp nano: Variable airflow from near MTL tight to huge full open draws. Can be used as such or with a standard 510 (universal vaping connection) drip tip on top. It looks great and is easy to build on. 10-20 USD
  • Clones: Clones from Chinese websites will ship anywhere and give you a chance to taste the highlights of the last ten years of vaping for 5 -15 USD per atomiser. Look for single coil stuff, aim for the 10 USD mark, and make sure there's 40 or more positive reviews of the product and you're golden. 5-15 USD
No RDA is going to be perfect on the first try. Building electrical resistances is a very easy skill, but it takes a few tries to get it right. Look for a video tutorial on YouTube that shows you in detail (with a good close-up cam) how to build and you'll be sure to get it right and safe from the start. All these RDA's are single coil builds. None of them have tanks, so you need to carry a small bottle of juice with you (cheap-o tip: buy some 10ml nic shots in dripper bottles at 2 USD each and reuse the bottle by filling it from your favourite bottle of juice. Leakfree and easy-carry)

Mods
  • Eleaf Istick Pico: Great performers that have been around for a bit. The stainless steel finishes last the longest. This family of basic mods allows for atomisers up to 22 mm diameter and gives you all the options you need to start. (Variable voltage/wattage, ohm resistance reader, temperature control vaping,battery indicator and soft-/hardware protections). Small and low profile, these mods won't make you feel self conscious when you're vaping in public for the first time. The quality of the finishes feels premium. Size may be an issue when you have large hands. 25-45 USD
  • Eleaf Aster: Similar to the Pico but easier to hold and with a different form factor. The magnetic battery door allows for easier battery replacement. 40 USD
  • Aspire NX75 (A): Both the standard zinc alloy and the full aluminium body are great quality. The finishing and electrical work inside this mod are just right. Things work smoothly and safely and again you get all the basic functions. Still small, but heavier and sturdier than the eleaf products above. 50 USD
  • Smoant Battlestar mini: This one has got it all: Very reactive (good chip in there), great ohm reader, large screen. This is the largest of the small mods in this list and suits all hand sizes. It is very cheap and this money is spent on the stuff under the hood. That means a bit of a trade-off with the finishing. That finishing is however still well done and very durable. 25-30 USD
Well there you go, 16 possible combinations from 40 to 80 USD. All are commonly available (online, stores have or can get most, but most stores do not add a lot of value because they aren't always interested in helping you get started).

Additional costs to factor in:
  • Smart battery charger: Charging your battery outside your mod with a proper charger will prolong the life of your mod and battery. You can start charging through the mod if you have to. 20-30 USD
  • 18650 batteries: the most common battery, suitable for all the above mods. Go for brand names (Sony, LG) from reputable sellers and make sure the plastic sleeve of the battery is in perfect shape. If you're gonna vape on very low resistances (0.0x - 0.5 ohms), make sure you get a minimum constant ampere draw of 25Amp. This will be advertised. 8-16 USD
  • A small set of differently shaped 510 (universal standard small)/810 (common standard wide) drip tips: A drip tip helps decide your flavor, mouthfeel and vapor temperature. The longer and thinner your drip tip, the cooler the flavor. Longer drip tips will protect your mouth from boiling drops of juice spitback, a problem you might occasionally encounter when learning to build. 5-15 USD
This is a beginner list. Single coils, single batteries, no squonkers. Easy to build, hard to hurt yourself. If you want advice on more high-powered set-ups, I'm sure someone else can give you some tips.

As always: Vape safe and scr*w SMOK

Last edited:

HaHaVape

Jan 24, 2019
Hey HaHaVape,

70 USD is a good budget for a starter kit. Do you have experience vaping? If you're not sure which sort of style might suit you, it might be wise to get a more versatile rda that allows for a bit of DTL (direct lung inhales with big clouds) and a bit of MTL vaping (mouth to lung inhaling like a cigarette). My favourites:

RDA
  • Drop Solo: Great quality construction. The airflow is very versatile and ranges from flavorful MTL to creating your own mistbanks. Single coil with lots of space to build and wick. 30-35 USD
  • Ctulhu mods 1928: Nice reduced chamber and simple design. You're limited to smaller coils and have less space to build but the deep juice well will be helpful when you're not sure how much to drip yet. MTL to restricted direct lung hit ready. 20-25 USD
  • Oumier Wasp nano: Variable airflow from near MTL tight to huge full open draws. Can be used as such or with a standard 510 (universal vaping connection) drip tip on top. It looks great and is easy to build on. 10-20 USD
  • Clones: Clones from Chinese websites will ship anywhere and give you a chance to taste the highlights of the last ten years of vaping for 5 -15 USD per atomiser. Look for single coil stuff, aim for the 10 USD mark, and make sure there's 40 or more positive reviews of the product and you're golden. 5-15 USD
No RDA is going to be perfect on the first try. Building electrical resistances is a very easy skill, but it takes a few tries to get it right. Look for a video tutorial on YouTube that shows you in detail (with a good close-up cam) how to build and you'll be sure to get it right and safe from the start. All these RDA's are single coil builds. None of them have tanks, so you need to carry a small bottle of juice with you (cheap-o tip: buy some 10ml nic shots in dripper bottles at 2 USD each and reuse the bottle by filling it from your favourite bottle of juice. Leakfree and easy-carry)

Mods
  • Eleaf Istick Pico: Great performers that have been around for a bit. The stainless steel finishes last the longest. This family of basic mods allows for atomisers up to 22 mm diameter and gives you all the options you need to start. (Variable voltage/wattage, ohm resistance reader, temperature control vaping,battery indicator and soft-/hardware protections). Small and low profile, these mods won't make you feel self conscious when you're vaping in public for the first time. The quality of the finishes feels premium. Size may be an issue when you have large hands. 25-45 USD
  • Eleaf Aster: Similar to the Pico but easier to hold and with a different form factor. The magnetic battery door allows for easier battery replacement. 40 USD
  • Aspire NX75 (A): Both the standard zinc alloy and the full aluminium body are great quality. The finishing and electrical work inside this mod are just right. Things work smoothly and safely and again you get all the basic functions. Still small, but heavier and sturdier than the eleaf products above. 50 USD
  • Smoant Battlestar mini: This one has got it all: Very reactive (good chip in there), great ohm reader, large screen. This is the largest of the small mods in this list and suits all hand sizes. It is very cheap and this money is spent on the stuff under the hood. That means a bit of a trade-off with the finishing. That finishing is however still well done and very durable. 25-30 USD
Well there you go, 16 possible combinations from 40 to 80 USD. All are commonly available (online, stores have or can get most, but most stores do not add a lot of value because they aren't always interested in helping you get started).

Additional costs to factor in:
  • Smart battery charger: Charging your battery outside your mod with a proper charger will prolong the life of your mod and battery. You can start charging through the mod if you have to. 20-30 USD
  • 18650 batteries: the most common battery, suitable for all the above mods. Go for brand names (Sony, LG) from reputable sellers and make sure the plastic sleeve of the battery is in perfect shape. If you're gonna vape on very low resistances (0.0x - 0.5 ohms), make sure you get a minimum constant ampere draw of 25Amp. This will be advertised. 8-16 USD
  • A small set of differently shaped 510 (universal standard small)/810 (common standard wide) drip tips: A drip tip helps decide your flavor, mouthfeel and vapor temperature. The longer and thinner your drip tip, the cooler the flavor. Longer drip tips will protect your mouth from boiling drops of juice spitback, a problem you might occasionally encounter when learning to build. 5-15 USD
This is a beginner list. Single coils, single batteries, no squonkers. Easy to build, hard to hurt yourself. If you want advice on more high-powered set-ups, I'm sure someone else can give you some tips.

As always: Vape safe and scr*w SMOK

Thank you so much for responding, so i'm going with this setup, (my cart lol)
- Drop Dead RDA
- Demon Killer Raging Fire Coil Ni80 Pre-made Heating Wire: Coil A: 0.3 + (0.1 x 32) 0.27ohm Ni80
- ShieldCig Preloaded Cotton
- Vaporesso LUXE 220W Touch Screen TC
I'm getting everything from vaporl, is the vaporesson a lot for the setup? I just picked it because it looks nice, and the boxes you suggested aren't available,
Thanks so much

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
The original post is the worst kind of post on any forum. The lack of information makes it impossible to give any kind of good recommendation. @Cooperant that is a good post. I disagree with the choices for mods and RDAs but that's just me. Those choices work for alot of people and are horrible for others. @HaHaVape says he wants a cloud chaser setup but doesn't give any building or vape experience. $60-$70 for a good cloud chasing setup without getting a clone RDA is iffy. That being said if you are good at watching sales and know what to look for it can be done. I build my own coils and make my own juice. I like big dense clouds with alot of flavor. As far as mods go that's easy. Any of the newer dual 18650 box mods are pretty good. I would stay away from Smok and Wismec. Sigelei is iffy. The Voopoo Drag 2 is ok. The choice of an RDA is the problem. The best RDAs for cloud chasing for authentics are cheap and aren't really the easiest to build on for beginners. Apocalypse,TM24 PRO and Goon are good of course. IN MY OPINION, the Drop is the easiest RDA to build that puts out good clouds and flavor.

More info from the OP would be helpful for a better recommendation.

What's funny is right now I'm using a $200 mech mod with a $13 RDA. My setup I use for work is a DPRO 133 kit I got for $10.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
- Drop Dead RDA
- Demon Killer Raging Fire Coil Ni80 Pre-made Heating Wire: Coil A: 0.3 + (0.1 x 32) 0.27ohm Ni80
I'm getting everything from vaporl, is the vaporesson a lot for the setup? I just picked it because it looks nice, and the boxes you suggested aren't available,
Thanks so much
Good luck. You'll be posting alot with that setup.

Reactions: greek mule

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
- Drop Dead RDA
Thanks so much

Congratulations. Don’t own the Luxe but from what I have read it is a well-received device. Vaporesso has a reputation for making quality devices. I think you have put together a very compatible introduction kit. Although others may not agree with your choices, the key here is what you think. Despite this kit is your first, it most likely will not be your last and the experienced gained with this setup can be used with future purchases.

Reactions: Mark Spivey

HaHaVape

Jan 24, 2019
Good luck. You'll be posting alot with that setup.
Thanks for the information friend,
Does the website I'm getting the setup from selling clones? A.k.a Am I buying clones?
I'm a normal vaper, (not an ex-smoker). I vaped for around 6 months,
I find Cloud Chasing cool, but I don't want to go extreme cloud chasing,
I currently have a normal Smok Priv V8 with Kumo 0mg,
Thanks for helping

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Does the website I'm getting the setup from selling clones? A.k.a Am I buying clones?
Thanks for helping
I’m sure they sell clones but they probably are listed as a clone or have product name-styled at the end. So you most likely didn’t buy anything cloned. Good luck with your setup, seems pretty solid.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
- Drop Dead RDA
Thanks so much
My pleasure of course, although I see you like a bit more oomph than what I suggested. All the more power to you. I think vaporesso makes some great stuff and the drop dead has its own fans. I have never owned anything by them with a touch screen though. Can't vouch for that. The premade coils are nice for starting out, but I think once you see how easy they are to make (buying prewound complex wires of course) you'll like to try doing so yourself. Powerwise, 220w is just the max rating, you can obviously choose any wattage. Your coil build will end up at the .15 ohm mark with lots of wire mass so you'll need a bit of power.

• Agree
Reactions: Don29palms

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Thanks for helping

If you're buying something and it says "style" in the description it's a clone. Usually if it doesn't say "style" it is authentic. Most of the china websites sell authentics and clones. Unless an RDA is on sale clones usually run around $15 or less. Most authentics are $25 or more.

HaHaVape

Jan 24, 2019
My pleasure of course, although I see you like a bit more oomph than what I suggested. All the more power to you. I think vaporesso makes some great stuff and the drop dead has its own fans. I have never owned anything by them with a touch screen though. Can't vouch for that. The premade coils are nice for starting out, but I think once you see how easy they are to make (buying prewound complex wires of course) you'll like to try doing so yourself. Powerwise, 220w is just the max rating, you can obviously choose any wattage. Your coil build will end up at the .15 ohm mark with lots of wire mass so you'll need a bit of power.

That seems fun, now all I need to do is order the setup :)

If you're buying something and it says "style" in the description it's a clone. Usually, if it doesn't say "style" it is authentic. Most of the China websites sell authentics and clones. Unless an RDA is on sale clones usually run around $15 or less. Most authentics are $25 or more.

A Ctrl+F in the web page (https://www.vaporl(dot)com/hellvape-drop-dead-RDA-tank-atomizer.html) shows the only "style" mentioned is 'drip tips and 510 connection for various drip tip styles and use.' I'm I good to go?
Also, I'm very sorry for the numerous questions.

I really appreciate your help

HaHaVape

Jan 24, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread