Batteries, basic and general facts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milo hobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Lake Charles La
Can someone please explain the differences in batteries to me. Pure smoker has, what, 4 different types of batteries and 2 different chargers on their site and I don't understand the basics beyond the side with the nipple is the positive and the other is negative.

Like, why is the green batters (900 mAh) for the icon cheaper than the orange batters (600 mAh)?

How are people getting 5 volts out of a Prodigy (which I thought ran two, 3 volt batteries)?

Which ones are protected and why is that important?

I'm confused, but am ready to learn.

Luma

ECF Veteran
Mah is miliamp hours "prolly spelled wrong" and the more the mah rating the longer it goes for. BUT in tern, you get a little less power from longer mah batteries. The lower mah batteries will drain faster put put out a little more energy.

I for one would like to know how the green 14500 batts compare to the AW's in terms of battery life?

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
I'm no battery expert, but I'll see what I can do to help by explaining the 4 types of batteries PureSmoker sells:

The RCR123a batteries are 3v each and are used in the Prodigy V3 (2 stacked for 6v). They are a safer chemistry than Li-Ion called LiFePO4. These batteries reportedly will not vent or explode, as has been reported in other types of batteries.

The green batteries are your standard Li-Ion 3.7v batteries and are used in the Icon. These are non-protected, and there is still a big debate going on between protected versus non-protected. I won't really step into those waters except to say I, personally, have never had a problem with them. But take that for what it's worth: practically zilch. I just simply don't know enough about batteries to intelligently wage one argument over the other.

The orange/red batteries are also 3.7v and are also used in the Icon. But they are a safer chemistry than the regular green ones, called IMR. These are high-drain batteries that can much better handle the drain of low resistance cartomizers. These are all I use anymore since I use low resistance exclusively at 3.7v.

The last battery on their page is a 17670 3.7v battery and is used in the Prodigy V3 if you want to use it as a 3.7v device. This is a protected battery.

Finally, regarding folks running their V3 at 5v: As far as I know, the only way to do that is to use a custom-built 5v battery that some vendors (not PureSmoker) sell. In reality, these batteries are smaller cells that have been wrapped together in sequence to get a total of ~5v. I tried one and had no luck with it working in my V3. But others reportedly have. However, my bigger cause of concern was the fact that this battery got HOT (and I do mean HOT) while it was charging. That worried me, so I have not tried it again.

I hope that helped. Maybe someone with much more knowledge of batteries can fill in some of the gaps I left, especially in the protected vs. non-protected schools of thought.

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
I for one would like to know how the green 14500 batts compare to the AW's in terms of battery life?

They're about the same in my experience. I get about 6 to 7 hours (a full day at the office) with one. But since I use only low resistance, I use the AWs since they can better handle the strain. They will live longer overall (or at least I've been told).

They're about the same in my experience. I get about 6 to 7 hours (a full day at the office) with one. But since I use only low resistance, I use the AWs since they can better handle the strain. They will live longer overall (or at least I've been told).

So will using the green batteries with LR attys result in a shorter lifespan of said batteries? Or will they just not perform as well as the orange ones? Will the green batteries harm a low resistance atty?

I'm curious because I ordered the greeen ones before I realized the orange ones were better suited for LR attys. I guess I will find out when my Icon arrives this afternoon! Lol

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
So will using the green batteries with LR attys result in a shorter lifespan of said batteries? Or will they just not perform as well as the orange ones? Will the green batteries harm a low resistance atty?

I'm curious because I ordered the greeen ones before I realized the orange ones were better suited for LR attys. I guess I will find out when my Icon arrives this afternoon! Lol

You will have zero issues using LR atty's/carto's on the green Tenergy Batt's.

IMO, the Green Tenergy's and the AW IMR Batteries perform the exact same. Whether one outlives the other by a month or so is negligible, and you are paying almost double for the IMR's. I'd take 2 green Tenergy's over the IMR anyday.

But ... People like what they like, thus the reason we offer both. I'm just an honest person and would rather see people invest more money in the Tenergy's than the AW's, for such a negligible difference.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear:p

Seriously though, I appreciate the insight. I hate that sinking feeling when you might be making or are about to make a mistake because you're just not sure if you're doing it right...if you get me. Lol I guess I had nothing to worry about after all.

My Icon JUST arrived...I'm giddy like a child on Christmas morning!

Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread