Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
@Jazzman you wondered about balancing.
one thing i've noticed is the batteries reach full charge at slightly different times,
so, they were unbalanced when charging started, buut were balamced when fully charged at 4.05.

There's a bit more to it than just the final charge voltage. I kind of cringe when people talk about getting two of the same batteries and keeping them "married" forever thinking that's some kind of magic. It makes sense to get the same batteries since if their good cells they should C>D fairly evenly. But that's just a guess if you can't measure it. And batteries age at different rates also, so what might start out a good pairing could wind up quite a bit differently.

At least with a charger that can measure IR you can use that with battery charge voltage to get a better picture of if those batteries were made for each other, and when it's time for them to get a divorce. You can also do discharge tests on both batteries, but that's too time consuming for me to do on a regular basis.

There's also things like if the two battery holders on the mod have the same resistance, etc. But generally if I have two of the same cells, watch final voltage and IR I have pretty good confidence they will work OK for my purposes.

Reactions: susieqz

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
And batteries age at different rates also, so what might start out a good pairing could wind up quite a bit differently.
That's true. Although not a married pair per se, the two cells in the following graph were used identically, each on alternate days in the same mod for two full years:

EmcLlHL.png

There is obviously quite a difference in the discharge curves between the red and the green cells. The upper lines, purple and blue, are two more of the same cells, purchased at the same time, from the same vendor, with the same manufacturing date code, the difference being that they were in storage, un-used.

At least with a charger that can measure IR you can use that with battery charge voltage to get a better picture of if those batteries were made for each other, and when it's time for them to get a divorce.
I'm not sure how good an indication that is. AC IR on those four cells, measured with a Vapcell YR1030 before and after the discharge tests were done:

Green: 25.7
Red: 23.5
Purple 14.08
Blue: 13.97

So while there is a whopping difference between the used and un-used cells, I don't think the difference between the two used ones is indicative of the difference in discharge curves between those two.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
checking IR is quick n easy, so no problem.
i'll never bother with cheap chargers that don't allow this again.
That wasn't a commonly available feature when I bought my chargers, so I bought a separate meter instead. :)

I think a separate meter also gives more repeatable readings.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
so, @Rossum , if IR isn't good for this application, what do you use it for?
I bought the IR meter on a whim when Mooch mentioned it in a post, so I had it long before I had the CBA or any other repeatable/reliable way of measuring capacity. I was also curious how the two correlate, especially as cells age, either via time or use.

But it is nice to be able to check both in a repeatable manner. If you have accurate IR and capacity readings, you can be confident that a cell is genuine.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
to me. checking capacity seems hard on batteries.
I suppose if you're only planning on charging your cells to 4.05 or 4.10V, then a full capacity test is relatively hard on them. I only discharge to 2.8V rather than 2.5V to check capacity so as not to beat them too hard.
is there any other test that works?
Well, for married pairs (which was what this thought was originally about), I would just compare voltage when you pull them out of the mod to re-charge them. If they are close in voltage, they don't need a divorce. The difference shown in the graph I posted should be evident on a static comparison of partly discharged cells.

• Informative
Reactions: CMD-Ky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread