Status
Not open for further replies.

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
sense Field" data-source="post: 6938306" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
sense Field said:
That looks like it might work. Interesting.

It's actually just a better drawing of my orignal. After looking at how you were drawing yours, it helped me understand how to draw it better. I went into the App Store on my computer, and downloaded a schematic application, but couldn't figure out how to store it as a graphic, so I grabbed a pencil and tried paper again. You'd think a Mac would have a ton of apps for this, and it does... at a cost. :lol:

I hope this is clear enough, that the Chinese could understand it. I doubt it, but I am willing to talk to them, if it would help. Before getting to that point, I think we need to mull it over, and make sure it doesn't have any faults. I am not an expert on the hotspring, so I am just going by earlier conversations, and implementing how I think it works it into this idea.

Sense Field

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2010
Nomad
It's actually just a better drawing of my orignal. After looking at how you were drawing yours, it helped me understand how to draw it better. I went into the App Store on my computer, and downloaded a schematic application, but couldn't figure out how to store it as a graphic, so I grabbed a pencil and tried paper again. You'd think a Mac would have a ton of apps for this, and it does... at a cost. :lol:

I hope this is clear enough, that the Chinese could understand it. I doubt it, but I am willing to talk to them, if it would help. Before getting to that point, I think we need to mull it over, and make sure it doesn't have any faults. I am not an expert on the hotspring, so I am just going by earlier conversations, and implementing how I think it works it into this idea.

I think the idea here is to sort of give them a starting point. They can figure it out, it's just a matter of wanting to. They didn't want to probably due to costs...now, I would hope they want to.

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
sense Field" data-source="post: 6939235" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
sense Field said:
I think the idea here is to sort of give them a starting point. They can figure it out, it's just a matter of wanting to. They didn't want to probably due to costs...now, I would hope they want to.

I get you. Good point.

Phi

Aug 31, 2011
Florida
I use the firing-pin as my guide when tightening my Telescope. If the firing-pin will go all the way in before making contact with the battery, then I will tighten the battery tube up a bit; but if I barely need to move the firing-pin before it is making contact with the battery, then I will loosen the tube a little. In other words, the firing-pin should need to move about half of its potential travel before it makes contact with the battery; and a user instruction to this effect is all that is needed to address the concern of people over-tightening their battery tubes.

All other accidental activation situations are adequately addressed by the firing-pin locking nut. It's there for a reason; and the simple rule of thumb should be: If you're not using your Telescope, then take a few seconds to lock it.

However, affixing a non-conductive spacer within the battery spring that is a little higher than the tip of the firing pin (to prevent people from over-tightening their battery tubes) is not a bad idea. Perhaps an appropriately-sized nylon t-nut could be used on the bottom end of the battery spring. Thus, not only would the concern of people over-tightening their battery tubes be addressed, but the physical separation of the spring and the body/cap would be even more assured than it presently is. Like this:

telespring.jpg

Between the proper tightening of the battery tube (with or without the aid of a dummy spacer), and the proper and intended use of the firing-pin locking nut, I don't really see a need for a hot spring. For, if the type of conditions that would result in the collapse of a hot spring are limited to the times when the Telescope is actually being used (i.e., to the times when the user will be able to sense that something is wrong), all one needs to do to achieve the same that a hot spring achieves is to let go of the firing pin!

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
I use the firing-pin as my guide when tightening my Telescope. If the firing-pin will go all the way in before making contact with the battery, then I will tighten the battery tube up a bit; but if I barely need to move the firing-pin before it is making contact with the battery, then I will loosen the tube a little. In other words, the firing-pin should need to move about half of its potential travel before it makes contact with the battery; and a user instruction to this effect is all that is needed to address the concern of people over-tightening their battery tubes.

All other accidental activation situations are adequately addressed by the firing-pin locking nut. It's there for a reason; and the simple rule of thumb should be: If you're not using your Telescope, then take a few seconds to lock it.

However, affixing a non-conductive spacer within the battery spring that is a little higher than the tip of the firing pin (to prevent people from over-tightening their battery tubes) is not a bad idea. Perhaps an appropriately-sized nylon t-nut could be used on the bottom end of the battery spring. Thus, not only would the concern of people over-tightening their battery tubes be addressed, but the physical separation of the spring and the body/cap would be even more assured than it presently is. Like this:

View attachment 125423

Between the proper tightening of the battery tube (with or without the aid of a dummy spacer), and the proper and intended use of the firing-pin locking nut, I don't really see a need for a hot spring. For, if the type of conditions that would result in the collapse of a hot spring are limited to the times when the Telescope is actually being used (i.e., to the times when the user will be able to sense that something is wrong), all one needs to do to achieve the same that a hot spring achieves is to let go of the firing pin!

I treat mine the same. I'll have to look nylon t nuts though and see if that doesn't suit my purposes better.

And I'll chime in that honestly, I pretty well despise devices that rely on springs for their connections. That seems to me to be the most common element of failure in almost any device, of mine. And since that isn't the type of repair work I'm equipped to perform, it ends up thrown away.

So I'll finish with my opinion here, vents Yes, fuses yes, spacer for a firing pin Yes, hot springs hell to the mf no. Trying to add that would completely fubar what makes things nice to me with this device.

(I'll also second that check your battery direction thing because I did that once myself)

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Greetings....came across this thread and has been very interesting reading....I applaud all the suggestions offered to correct this poorly designed PV....you all have properly defined the short-comings of the telescope....the only comments I would make are that it should have never been sold in it's present inadequate form....mod safety features, venting, and etc. have been vetted extensively here in the ECF for a long time now, yet we see another mechanical mod being sold with what appears too little thought given to safety....it seems ironic that the general consumer can immediately spot the issues you discuss here and have brought to the supplier/manufacturer's attention, yet they were oblivious to the telescopes short-comings....what does that say about quality control? Gotvapes and Smoketech have responded quickly to "recall and replace" (I applaud them), thus possibly reducing their exposure to legal liability, while also possibly preventing an unpleasant event. This could have been prevented, IMO, but it is what it is....

My commemts are just my opinion, and, are not meant to inflame or cause arguments....having read ALL pending law suits involving "exploding mods", and seeing graphic pictures of physical injury, I can assure you it is not pleasant...

I wish you all, Gotvapes, and Smoketech well as you deal with this issue....

Last edited:

WallyO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Cicero,IL
With all these safety concerns wouldn't using plastic bodies like the Gripper and Rocket pretty much alleviate most concerns. A plastic housing would not be able to contain any measurable pressure compared to metal. I know the metal mods are classy to the highest degree, but are they better safety wise? I think I would rather have something blow in my hand instead of projecting it into my handsome face. Or is the danger equal for both materials?
Any thoughts on this??

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
With all these safety concerns wouldn't using plastic bodies like the Gripper and Rocket pretty much alleviate most concerns. A plastic housing would not be able to contain any measurable pressure compared to metal. I know the metal mods are classy to the highest degree, but are they better safety wise? I think I would rather have something blow in my hand instead of projecting it into my handsome face. Or is the danger equal for both materials?
Any thoughts on this??

I dunno. Thats an interesting question. My devils advocate side says: but on a plastic pv things tend to be less durable so you are actually increasing risk of failure. Need a structural engineer or a mechanical engineer or maybe someone with access to maple to really say I'd imagine.

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
Come again? :)

Maple is like auto cad on crack and steroids. Its the program that lets you do computer trials of a design against proposed stressors like hurricanes and earth quakes. But as I understand it can also be used for small designs a well. It takes into account all sorts of factors.

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
Thanks. I thought you were referring either to the wood or the flavor. :unsure:

No problem. I don't get to mess with it, because its locked in the system for engineers on campus. But I hear really good things about the latest incarnations. And once upon a time, my dad's friend used it to determine that yes it would be alright to make a motor mount out of hardwood when he needed to replace one on an old pickup they were having problems finding replacement parts on. plugged in the wood, timing, heat variances, chemical exposure, vibration. All that sort of thing. No expected failure and we were good to go. The issue is making sure that you plug in all related data.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Totally agree.

We have to remember two things.

1) we are not the only people buying this. GotVapes most likely has more customers off the forums then on. It has to be workable without much explanation.

2) Other venders will eventually have this mod, opening availability up to a ton of people who have no clue as to what issues could possibly be there.

I have the same issue as LD...I had the mod tightened down where there was hardly any play in the switch and didn't realize it...I put it down while driving and suddenly smelled something weird. The mod was firing off for probably 30-40 seconds and had a burning smell to it.

If someone tightens it up and doesn't realize it's firing...it will just keep firing.

It's been a couple of days since this post, this seems to be quite a serious issue. Nothing more?

rdsok

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    Norman, Ok
    It's been a couple of days since this post, this seems to be quite a serious issue. Nothing more?

Depends on your point of view...

The vent issue has enough people concerned that they are now adding additional vents... So this appears to be a non-issue soon.

The other two issues that were brought up... are a different type of concern I guess would be the best way to say it. The additional battery protection ( beyond using a protected battery AND not stacking batteries ) in this type of mod is typically addressed by a fuse add-on or perhaps a Kick. An advanced user already knows this and what LD and Sense have been kicking around ( no pun intended ) is for when a non-advanced user buys one not knowing the proper safety procedures etc.

The additional issue of being able to screw down the mod far enough to also engage the switch... again this should be a common sense issue and USUALLY anyone should realize they shouldn't do it... the key word is USUALLY here, and well, the fact that common sense today isn't so common anymore also.

So the other two issues brought up beyond the vents... are not big issues per se but could be addressed with some design changes

In my opinion... these are advanced all mechanical PV's made for advanced users and as such the user should either already know how to properly and safely use one or be responsible enough to learn. The purpose of an all mechanical mod is so there is a lower chance of a part failing... adding additional parts increases the chance of a parts failure.

Ctor

static void Main()
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2012
    New Jersey
    The additional issue of being able to screw down the mod far enough to also engage the switch... again this should be a common sense issue and USUALLY anyone should realize they shouldn't do it... the key word is USUALLY here, and well, the fact that common sense today isn't so common anymore also.

This can actually be addressed very simply by the end user. Gluing a 1/4 " plastic spacer or nylon washer to the plastic ring on the spring would take care of this issue nicely.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread