Status
Not open for further replies.

sanfordf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2010
Northern San Diego county
I received my 510 auto kit the other day. So far I'm LOVING these attys - nice throat hit, heat, and clouds of vapor - and that's just off the stock batteries!

only thing is, these attys are TIGHT. Has anyone else had trouble getting carts on/off? I've been taking the battery off before removing the cart for fear of ripping the battery connector out of the tube. I've had to file a couple of the carts down just to be able to jam them into the atty. I had initially planned on using flat tip 901 carts, but I haven't even bothered to try after all the trouble just trying to attach those included in the kit.

I agree, they ARE a very tight fit. My older worn out 510 carts fit like new in these, but it's a pain using my T-Tips. I forsee new o-rings in my immediate future with these attys.

Yeah, I have had my atties since last Thursday and they are very tight. They're starting to get looser, but it is a PITA for now. So, I had to try some cart mods to keep from having to top off so often.

See, mine has paint coming off from where I've either dropped it or shoved it in my pocket after vaping off it, and the carts can be a tight fight at first, but honestly I don't care, because any time I try to use one of my older atty's it just taste like tee-total crapola. No flavor, just burnt atty. I'll take functional insides for slightly dysfunctional outside ANYDAY.

Ryan Toupal

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2010
On the road to Portland
I got mine from Madvapes (7$). It's all I've been using since I got them. The throat hit is very good and the flavor too.

Scottyballs did you notice the bridge sits further into the cart for the ZFM mod? I just tried the other one I got and it's the same. I'm using a rigid plug with no straw so I can see how far it's pushing it down..

sanfordf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2010
Northern San Diego county
Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
how's the throat hit compare to a joye atty? for me, the stronger the throat hit the better!
You can go by the ohms, both the imitation 510's that are offered seem to be at least 3.2Ω. An authentic Joye 510 is at about 2.2Ω.

Using Ohm's law we can determine the Power (watts/heat).

A Joye 510 at 3.7 volts will pull about 1.7A generating 6.2 watts.

The 3.2Ω imitations pull about 1.1A generating only 4.3 watts. Does a 40 watt light bulb produce the same punch as a 60 watt one?

What established the Joye 510 as the Throat Hit king, was not how it looked but it's hard hitting, current hungry, hot 2.2Ω atty.

It's nice to see that MV has clearly identified his atties. It sad to see that that SLB has now dropped the easy to spot washer and now makes an atty that looks almost identical, but at 3.2Ω can not perform, like the real deal.

Ryan Toupal

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2010
On the road to Portland
Does a 40 watt light bulb produce the same punch as a 60 watt one?

It depends...

Ohm's law will also tell you the heat produced, but if the heat isn't in the right spot it doesn't help. There can be a variety of factors here such as surface area of the heating element etc. Ohm's law won't tell the whole story.

You could just put a resistor in there if that was the case.

Last edited:

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
It's nice to see that MV has clearly identified his atties. It sad to see that that SLB has now dropped the easy to spot washer and now makes an atty that looks almost identical, but at 3.2Ω can not perform, like the real deal.

Ohm's Law Calculator is one of my favs, nice and simple.. Give it any two variables..

Willyb's numbers are spot on but one thing to consider and this is my opinion only but with the lower ohm atties, a lot of the e-liquid tastes burnt...

I can still get an awesome th from a 3.3 ohm atty, maybe have to take a second longer of a draw.. The biggest difference is that I can taste the flavors in the liquid again..

Another good indirect point that WillyB made is that with a 2.2 ohm atty using 6.3 watts and an 3.4 ohm atty only using 4 watts, battery life should be longer with the higher ohm atties..

hoog

SCOTTYBALLS

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Greenville, S.C.
I got mine from Madvapes (7$). It's all I've been using since I got them. The throat hit is very good and the flavor too.

Scottyballs did you notice the bridge sits further into the cart for the ZFM mod? I just tried the other one I got and it's the same. I'm using a rigid plug with no straw so I can see how far it's pushing it down..

Yes I had to shorten my straw about 1mm.. after that it consistantly drained every cart.. These attys also have alot more wicking material then pretty much everything else ive seen.. I also like how there is not any nasty primer fluid ...

Janie47

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2010
Tennessee
Yes I had to shorten my straw about 1mm.. after that it consistantly drained every cart.. These attys also have alot more wicking material then pretty much everything else ive seen.. I also like how there is not any nasty primer fluid ...

I totally agree Scotty. I got two from Madvapes this week and love them. First time in a long time I've had a deccent 510 atty!

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
*** I probably will regret this post, its an initial negative reaction, but it's an honest reaction ***

I just received a 510 starter kit from madvapes 2x manual batts and 2x attys. I got this kit as my first foray into "other models". I'm quite familiar with the m40x model, which has been in heavy use for 2+ months, and wanted to see what else what out there. From looking at the pictures on the site (I can see the mesh running the perimeter on mine), I guess i got a pair of these attys...

510 Spare Atomizer
*New Style* DSE 510 Atomizer. Manufactured by SLB. These measure 3.2 - 3.4 ohms.

These are very preliminary comments as I just filled two carts (one tobacco PG/VG blend, another lemonade/blackcherry VG) and starting vaping them less then an hour ago.

Given the higher resistance of these, I bet they're great on a 5v power source, but I'm using the manual batts that came with the kit (probably about 3.2v) and getting no so great results. Its producing a reasonable amount vapor, but there is very (very) little flavor and not much throat hit. Its a bland vape.

Honestly, my m403 (its like half the size of the 510) produces similar vapor and more throat hit... and loads loads more flavor. Actually I scrapped a 401 atty a few days ago because its flavor level dropped to the neighborhood of this 510 setup.

So this 510 experiment really didn't go quite as planned at all. The point was to try an actual 510 to see what all the 510'ers are raving about (with their atty at 2.2 ohms). Instead I got two high resistance attys (3.3) better suited for HV vaping. Grrrrr. I will have read more closely next time to make sure I'm ordering what I'm wanting to order. The setup I got is not what I was shooting for.

Like i said, these are very preliminary comments. After these attys have vaped thru a cart or two, things may be different... we'll see. But really I suspect these batts and these attys are probably not a good pairing. The batts are too low voltage for these attys. If I had known, I wouldn't have got this kit. You can tell, I'm kind of disappointed. (And honestly wondering why this "kit" even has these constituent parts).

Anyway... my reaction suggests that you don't get the DSE/SLB 510 atty for use on low voltage batts because it tastes like crap.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Nothing to regret, good honest feedback, thanks for posting!

Given the higher resistance of these, I bet they're great on a 5v power source, but I'm using the manual batts that came with the kit (probably about 3.2v) and getting no so great results. Its producing a reasonable amount vapor, but there is very (very) little flavor and not much throat hit. Its a bland vape.

Welcome to the world of 510, biggest complaint is lack of flavor OR a burnt taste.. We test all of our new e-liquid flavors with 901's since 510's do tend to kill flavor a bit..

Instead I got two high resistance attys (3.3) better suited for HV vaping. Grrrrr. I will have read more closely next time to make sure I'm ordering what I'm wanting to order. The setup I got is not what I was shooting for.

The atties being higher ohm are not HV atties but they do work good at 5v. We've found the lower ohm atties, 2.2 tend to heat up really quickly and you get a burnt taste.. Just our opinion of course as some folks like a quick fast draw while others prefer a long slow draw. If you give a higher ohm atty a good long draw you'll get the th, takes 2-3 seconds longer to heat up... Good luck with the testing...

hoog

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
As soon as I get mine (hopefully saturday) I had planned on posting what I found out about them. I'm curious too and at 7 bucks I figure it is worth a test.

We are talking about high voltage atomisers. Where do you get them for $7. I paid 10.99. I pay $7 for regular atomizers.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Welcome to the world of 510, biggest complaint is lack of flavor OR a burnt taste.. We test all of our new e-liquid flavors with 901's since 510's do tend to kill flavor a bit..

If thats just the way that they are, maybe the experiment wasn't a total loss... now I know the 510 is not what i'm looking for (which is less refill hassle than the 401, while retaining satisfactory vapor + flavor). I've got some KR808D cartos on the way maybe that will be the ticket. And I guess I'll just have to try the 901s and some of the penstyle attys too (302 probably).

I will revisit these SLB5 510 attys on a true 3.7v battery (when i get one) and 5v (when i get something that lets me do that) and hope for better results. But for now, I think they're going on the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread