Bending coil legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I usually mount the coils with the mandrel still in the coil and bend them into place after the screws are tightened. It takes a little trial and error to get proper leg length if it's a postless deck, for velocity decks you can just snip off the excess.

Holding a jewelers screwdriver against the lower legs while straightening the coil can help if they are accidentally wound the wrong way. ;)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to bend the legs for devices where it's simply better to have the legs prevent in order to place the coil properly? I'm having a bit of difficulty especially with dual coils making sure that they're bent in a compatible way without jacking up my stuff.

I use a pair of Mini Pliers. Not sure where they came from because they unbranded.

But you can find Mini Pliers Sets most places.

6 Pc Pliers Set

https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Pl...t=&hvlocphy=9031143&hvtargid=pla-803553470817

etc

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Excessive use of foul language seems to work for me. Failing that, I follow the method as described by @TrollDragon.

@AvaOrchid – what atty are you working with?
Honestly I don't remember which atomizer it was that I ran into the trouble because I promptly set it down and picked up something else. But I've kind of been avoiding products where the reviewer say you need to bend the coils beforehand because I'm having not a whole lot of success with that my self made coils are kind of janky to begin with and it seems like all of the pre wrapped are wrapped the wrong way for most of my atomizers so that's fun LOL I have some sort of dissonance going on when it comes to wrapping the coil clockwise or counterclockwise and in which way I need to do it based on the atomizer and then I get frustrated and then I use your first method of foul language LOL I'll go check it out in a little bit to see exactly which one it was so maybe someone will have some tips on that

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Coils can be wrapped clockwise (#1) or counter clockwise (#2) looking at the right side post. Please excuse the drawing, I'm no artist. ;)
Coil Wrap.jpg

I prefer counter clockwise (#2), when you mount the coil it sits in the holes at a 45° offset to the airflow, basically the left (lower) leg in the right(upper) hole and vise versa on the other side. As you straighten the coil parallel to the airflow it will tighten up on the mandrel. This alleviates loose end loops and long legs not covered by wicking.

YMMV like everything in this vape game. :D

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I have a RTA (Silverfast... single coil) that has mounting screws with "rounded" undersides (I have no idea why they did that) The coil leads tend to get pushed out as I tighten the screws... especially if the coils are wound counterclockwise! I have to bend (wrap) the leads around the screws as I tighten them. Sometimes I even have to tighten part way then use a small flat screwdriver to push on the leads as I do final tightening (PITA) You mentioned dual coils... do they share the same mounting holes/screws? We really do need to know which atty you are building. Are you talking about bending the legs because the mounting holes are further apart than the coil legs? That's a different issue. I leave the coil on the rod, and use small needle nose pliers to bend the legs out (while holding the coil with other hand) then bend the legs so they line up with the mounting holes (it's so hard to describe in words... need a diagram to explain) I try to make the bends curved (like an S)... not a hard (like a L) if that makes sense. One things that helps is to make "spaced" coils that tend to be closer to the width you need to mount them. Another way is to simply leave the coil on a rod and while holding the coil (first spread the leads at a slight angle) just push into the mounting holes and gently "force" them into the holes. Hope this helps.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
One more tip. If you are talking about mounting a coil where it sits "crooked" (because of the offset of the legs) you can (always while coil is in a rod) gently wrap the coil a bit more (both sides) then bend the legs back a bit (with small needle nose pliers) It would be great if someone made a video of all these tips... so much better to have a visual.
With any (and all) of these methods, after mounting, always (using a rod) straighten/position coils.
BTW, I have this old UD Bellus (with tiny build deck) and the dual coils share the same mounting holes. You have hold/mount both coils and tighten screws at the same time (need 3-4 hands) Damned thing drove me nuts! I actually gave up on it (after all that work, the coils still still touched the side of the chamber an caused a short) I was warned it is evil.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I have a RTA (Silverfast... single coil) that has mounting screws with "rounded" undersides (I have no idea why they did that) The coil leads tend to get pushed out as I tighten the screws... especially if the coils are wound counterclockwise! I have to bend (wrap) the leads around the screws as I tighten them. Sometimes I even have to tighten part way then use a small flat screwdriver to push on the leads as I do final tightening (PITA)
Take a little rat tail or triangle file and make a groove for the wire near each screw hole. I did that with all my Kayfuns back in the day as they suffered from round screw bottoms as well.

rLRqo7hl.jpg

LM080YAl.jpg

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Take a little rat tail or triangle file and make a groove for the wire near each screw hole. I did that with all my Kayfuns back in the day as they suffered from round screw bottoms as well.
Thanks... not a bad idea but I have another solution that doesn't require modding the build deck. I'm going to make "tool" that holds both coil leads (after a slight wrap around screw) so they don't push out during final tighten of screws.
Waiting for Ava to give is more info about her situation.
BTW, one guy suggested just replacing the screws with flat bottom ones.

• Winner
Reactions: TrollDragon

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Thanks... not a bad idea but I have another solution that doesn't require modding the build deck. I'm going to make "tool" that holds both coil leads (after a slight wrap around screw) so they don't push out during final tighten of screws.
Waiting for Ava to give is more info about her situation.
BTW, one guy suggested just replacing the screws with flat bottom ones.
A custom tool would work!

Yeah, finding flat bottom screws is quite the task. :lol:
FDV made some knurled post screws back in the day that were perfectly flat on the bottom.
kf657thh.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Blitzdonlife

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Hey TrollDragon, is Dennis back now? After his stint in the Hospital (almost 2 years ago) with the kiddies in charge, I never went back, but I do see his products still being sold. :confused:
I haven't bought from him in years. The FB page hasn't been updated since 2017 and there are unanswered posts from users 6 months ago asking if they are still in business. A "fix the PayPal or take the store down" kind of thing. Too bad, dude was a legend in the vape game but times have moved on I guess.

I used to follow DaveModz from Cloud50 back in the day as well, but all he does is gun mods these days, the era of Kayfun modding has long come and gone. :D

• Agree
Reactions: ShamrockPat

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas

rLRqo7hl.jpg

LM080YAl.jpg
Why I've never done this, I don't know. Great idea, I have a few Kayfuns I'll be doing this to soon, thanks.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Coils can be wrapped clockwise (#1) or counter clockwise (#2) looking at the right side post. Please excuse the drawing, I'm no artist. ;)
    View attachment 865003
    I prefer counter clockwise (#2), when you mount the coil it sits in the holes at a 45° offset to the airflow, basically the left (lower) leg in the right(upper) hole and vise versa on the other side. As you straighten the coil parallel to the airflow it will tighten up on the mandrel. This alleviates loose end loops and long legs not covered by wicking.

YMMV like everything in this vape game. :D

TD: just discovered this problem when I built the Wismec Tobhino RDA this morning. It's the first deck I've built on that has this type of nearly postless setup
    9641584-5.jpg

I wound the coil clockwise. But I'll try anti-clockwise next build. At least now I know how long my legs need to be ;)

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    TD: just discovered this problem when I built the Wismec Tobhino RDA this morning. It's the first deck I've built on that has this type of nearly postless setup
    9641584-5.jpg

I wound the coil clockwise. But I'll try anti-clockwise next build. At least now I know how long my legs need to be ;)
    It shouldn't really make much difference with deck posts like the Tobhino has if the coil is CW or CCW. Try it the other way though and see how it works out. :thumbs:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread