Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Completely Average said:
Assuming the mod you put them in works well with flat top batteries. If the mod works best with button tops though.....
... you can stick a magnet spacer on the top and it'll work perfectly fine.

:danger:

This is NOT RECOMMENDED. Using magnet-spacers on flat top batteries is considered an unsafe battery practice. Should you drop your mod on the ground it could dislodge the magnet/spacer and cause a hard short in the mod, causing the battery to go into thermal runaway. NOT ADVISEABLE FORUM: convert-button-top-flat-top-battery-small-trick

:danger:

Don't be a cheap skate. Buy the APPROPRIATE style battery for your mod. Don't take unneccesary & unsafe chances which could damage your mod, your body, or your home; its simply not worth the risk.

IMR_battery_post-venting.jpg battery_fire.jpg battery_failure.jpg

Last edited:

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
Want to know what the best brand, longest charge, most reliable, and where to get them. Help me please! Looking to get a iTaste TVR, and I want a GREAT pair of batteries to keep this tank of a PV running strong.
Here's the thing: a lot of people on here will probably recommend AW IMR batteries pretty much for the singular "claim to fame" that they've got going for them, which is that for some reason they are the industry standard, like the ubiquitous battery that most people have heard of and will refer to. The thing is, when have you ever known the most widely circulated and common product to be the best or the top of the line?? Ya, I thought so; it's not very often you'll see a Toyota Camry putting a Lamborghini Gallardo through it's paces on the track. Now, don't get me wrong, AW IMR batteries aren't going to perform really poorly and they're not inherently unsafe power cells(as long as you don't exceed they're amp limits which are pretty bad), they just are quite far from the best batteries you can get (and it's not like you even have to pay more for the batteries I'm going to recommend, in fact, since aw's are sooooo overhyped they're also very often overpriced, so in all likelihood you'll probably even be paying a little bit less for these far superior batteries).

So now, to get to the recommendations: (these batteries far exceed aw IMR's in both mah rating and amp limits, so without further ado...)
1.sony 18650 vtc5
2. Purple 18650 efests
3. 35 amp LG 18650's
4. And lastly the orange MNKE 18650's
All of these batteries will allow you to get multiple times more power than the aw's and will last significantly longer before they require a recharge.

I hope this helps, good luck and don't forget to Keep on vaping all you cloud-chasing cowboys (and cowgirls) =]

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Here's the thing: a lot of people on here will probably recommend AW IMR batteries pretty much for the singular "claim to fame" that they've got going for them, which is that for some reason they are the industry standard, like the ubiquitous battery that most people have heard of and will refer to. The thing is, when have you ever known the most widely circulated and common product to be the best or the top of the line?? Ya, I thought so; it's not very often you'll see a Toyota Camry putting a Lamborghini Gallardo through it's paces on the track. Now, don't get me wrong, AW IMR batteries aren't going to perform really poorly and they're not inherently unsafe power cells(as long as you don't exceed they're amp limits which are pretty bad), they just are quite far from the best batteries you can get (and it's not like you even have to pay more for the batteries I'm going to recommend, in fact, since aw's are sooooo overhyped they're also very often overpriced, so in all likelihood you'll probably even be paying a little bit less for these far superior batteries).

So now, to get to the recommendations: (these batteries far exceed aw IMR's in both mah rating and amp limits, so without further ado...)
1.sony 18650 vtc5
2. Purple 18650 efests
3. 35 amp LG 18650's
4. And lastly the orange MNKE 18650's
All of these batteries will allow you to get multiple times more power than the aw's and will last significantly longer before they require a recharge.
For general purpose applications, the AW IMR batteries still hold their own. Although the 2000mah 10 amp 18650 AW has fallen behind in the times, its still a proven performer. The 18490 (1100mAh and 16.5 amps) and 18350 (700mAh and 6 amps) AW batteries continue to be at the top of their class.

Should you need a button-top battery for your mod, AW is still among the best available on the market. The Sony VTC, purple Efest, MNKE, and LG batteries are all flat-top.

It may not matter to some, but to me it does. AW, a battery distributor in Hong Kong, doesn't manufacture their own batteries (as far as I know). Word is that they buy large quantities of Japanese batteries from Panasonic, Samsung, etc. They know that not all batteries that come from the factory are created equal, so they test each battery individually for quality and performance. Only the best get the red wrapper and AW sticker, the rejects get shipped elsewhere (to Efest?). So, you pay a couple more dollars for an AW, but you know right from the get-go that you're getting a consistantly high quality battery which has been hand-tested for quality.

Does Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony test each battery individually like AW does? I seriously doubt it. Maybe one out of every dozen or more for quality control. AW has staked their brand reputation on their testing and it has paid off.

I have purchased a few Efest batteries which lost half of their run time after only 3 weeks of use. I've still got a couple of 2 year old AW 18650 IMR batteries which I purchased with my first mod, and they are just now starting to show their age by not holding a complete charge like new. It's been worth it to me to purchase AW IMR batteries for all of my mods.

There's a reason why so many people recommend AW batteries. They have proven their quality, safety, and consistancy over a number of years. Provape even designed the Provari around the AW IMR batteries and strongly recommends customers use only those batteries in their Provari's. Question for the tech engineers at Provape

Rechargeable Batteries - AW IMR batteries specifically recommended as the safest/best battery available

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Efest 18650 IMR V3 2100mAh 30A
bjaxon said:
I agree with the purple efest. I was using VTC4 and 5 only. Then a friend of mine suggested trying them out. They are great. I've had no issues at all with them.

FYI, the purple Efest 2100mah 30 amp batteries are just rebranded Sony VTC4 2100mah 30 amp batteries. Tear off the wrapper of both batteries and you'll find the same Sony cell on the inside.

EfestSony.jpg

I am very sure this is in fact simply a rebranded Sony US18650VTC4 cell. Dampfakkus.de:

Efest 30 & 35 amp batteries

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread