Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Can't seem to get hold of Efest Purple 35 amp or Sony VTC5 in the UK, let alone from a reputable retailer. Can find AW 2600mah but they are £15 each! Some ebay seller recommended LG 35Amp 2500mah above all. Any good?

Check akkuteile.de. A huge inventory of different batteries, including the vtc5, the lg he2, and the purple efests (no aws though). The postage is around 15 euro though so you'll want to order more than just one battery.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Aawa

Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
Sony VTC4 and Sony VTC5 are 30amps continous draw and 60amps pulsefire. I have had my Sony VTC4's for a month and a half they are still good. I have been sub-ohming with them with most of my builds around the .15 -.4 ohm range. It fired my .09 ohm build without issue and I was within the safe 60 amp pulsefire limits (at .09 it draws about 41amps)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
This is like asking "What's the best motor oil" on a car forum.

Although it could be argued that the Sony vtc5 and LG he2/purple efest 2500 mAh are the best in most regards. They have more capacity in the useful voltage range (good for both mechs and regulated mods), are safe chemistry, have a high amp rating (safer), and have a low internal resistance (if you choose to use subohm coils).

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Although it could be argued that the Sony vtc5 and LG he2/purple efest 2500 mAh are the best in most regards. They have more capacity in the useful voltage range (good for both mechs and regulated mods), are safe chemistry, have a high amp rating (safer), and have a low internal resistance (if you choose to use subohm coils).

Compared to what exactly?

Orbtronic SX30?

And are those LG he2/purple efest batteries 35A continuous, or 35A burst and only 25A continuous?

Like I said, it's like asking "which oil is better".

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Compared to what exactly?

Orbtronic SX30?

And are those LG he2/purple efest batteries 35A continuous, or 35A burst and only 25A continuous?

Like I said, it's like asking "which oil is better".

The Orbtronix SX30 is a rebranded Sony vtc4, right?

The LGs and Efests are supposedly 20A continuous, so not as good as the Sonys if you want to go ridiculously low in ohms. The difference is between 0.21 and 0.14 ohms though, so both can handle plenty low ohm coils. Button- vs flattop makes a difference of course. I haven't seen button top vtc5s yet but the vtc4s can be had with both flat- and button top, so I'd expect that to be the case with the vtc5 as well, eventually. I haven't seen the LG or Efest with button tops yet, but I just found EH batteries that also seem to be based on the LG and are button top.

Daddy dan123

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Ohio
On my vtc5 Sony.... I'm kinda new to mechs and I can tell a diff when they are fresh and when they are about 3.9. But I'm always afraid to let them go past about 3.9-3.8. I know that charging them like that isn't really too healthy for the battery but I'm afraid to let them go any further since I do a dual coil that's .7 or .8 (about 1.4 ohm each). My question is can you tell a big diff when they get to about 3.6-3.5 or is this the wrong place even altogether to ask?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
On my vtc5 Sony.... I'm kinda new to mechs and I can tell a diff when they are fresh and when they are about 3.9. But I'm always afraid to let them go past about 3.9-3.8. I know that charging them like that isn't really too healthy for the battery but I'm afraid to let them go any further since I do a dual coil that's .7 or .8 (about 1.4 ohm each). My question is can you tell a big diff when they get to about 3.6-3.5 or is this the wrong place even altogether to ask?

You can run the Sonys down to 3.0 v or even 2.5 v, but do not do this routinely if you want you batteries to last. The IMR/hybrid chemistry batteries can be run down lower than the older IMR li-mn chemistry batteries without killing the battery due to over-discharging. But as I said, don't make a practice of doing this. Over-discharging a IMR/hybrid battery to around 2.5 v will probably require resurrection by a specialty intelligent charger (ie Xtar VP1) which uses special algorhythms to recharge a over-discharged battery.

You can top off a battery on a charger at any time -- you don't have to let them drain to a certain point. (Ni-cad batteries had "memory" and you had to let them drain before recharging them.) In fact, its healthier for the lithium batteries if you recharge them more frequently before they drain down too low, than if you drain them down low before putting them on the charger.

I use my batteries to around 3.4 v - 3.5 v, then recharge them.

Last edited:

Daddy dan123

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Ohio
Wow thank you. So I can get more than a half day out of my battery lol. If I don't have a charger or a vv/vw with me and only a mech and a spare battery or two cuz I'm at work. Can I tell when the battery is that low. I mean will the power be as noticeable as it is from a 4.2 down to a 3.9. Cuz my red copper stingeray hits like a beast on a fresh battery than only a few toots (thx grimm green) later the power seems really low. But it's at 4.0 or 3.9 when I check. I mean will the battery just not ignite the coil or shut off like it would a vamo or svd. Or would it barely produce a vape. Sorry I seem noobish I just don't want an accident and don't want to experiment either lol I've been using a mech on and off for a month or two but never let my batteries go that low.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've been vaping for two years and I can barely tell when the battery needs to be pulled from a mechanical mod before over-discharging it. Unlike a regulated mod which you can check the voltage on the run with the built-in voltmeter, or the protection circuitry just shutting the mod off to prevent over-discharge of the battery.

I'll admit that I've drained my Sony's down to 3.0 without realizing it a couple of times. I suspect this is easier to do with the higher amp IMR/hybrid batteries than the 10 amp IMR batteries as I was never able to drain a battery down that low before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread