Best 18650 For DNA30 Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a VaporShark rDNA30 that I'm currently using a Sony VTC5 in. I'm wondering if higher MaH makes a difference in a regulated device. My build always comes out at .9 ohms and fires 5.1 volts at 30 watts. I was looking into 3600mah batteries and need to know if the performance would be better than on my 2700 MaH Sony.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If you stay at 1,5 ohm or higher is it safe to use Panasonic 18650 ncr18650b 3400 mah ?
That battery only has a 6.8 amp continuous discharge rate, so no. It is not considered a high-drain battery. Although its an IMR/hybrid, its chemistry and performance is like an ICR battery. It's best application would be a flashlight.

Evolv, the manufacturer of the DNA chip, recommends a high drain battery with a minimum continuous discharge rating of 12 amps.

Therefore any battery with less than 12 amps continuous will be inadequate for optimal performance. Any 20 - 30 amp continuous discharge rated battery is what you need for a high wattage DNA mod.

Samsung, LG, Sony, and the purple Efest fit this application with 20 - 30 amps continuous. Always check the battery spec list for the maximum continuous discharge rating when purchasing batteries. This spec is more important than the mAh rating.

Last edited:

Stankia

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2009
That battery only has a 6.8 amp continuous discharge rate, so no. It is not considered a high-drain battery. Although its an IMR/hybrid, its chemistry and performance is like an ICR battery. It's best application would be a flashlight.

Evolv, the manufacturer of the DNA chip, recommends a high drain battery with a minimum continuous discharge rating of 12 amps.

Therefore any battery with less than 12 amps continuous will be inadequate for optimal performance. Any 20 - 30 amp continuous discharge rated battery is what you need for a high wattage DNA mod.

Samsung, LG, Sony, and the purple Efest fit this application with 20 - 30 amps continuous. Always check the battery spec list for the maximum continuous discharge rating when purchasing batteries. This spec is more important than the mAh rating.

But what if you don't exceed those 12 amps? I generally build a 1.8ohm coil and vape it at 15 watts max and that by my calculations is only 2.8 amps.

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Stankia (sir or Ms.?) the DNA chip also draws power from the battery. You technically can run your set up with a battery that has at least a 6 amp rating on a DNA30 (as per the tech sheet), but you will be limited to most likely no more than 16-17w with a 1.8ohm coil (then the device will show a weak battery error). How much actual run time you'll gain is the question. ICR drop voltage faster than IMR, so not all of the capacity is useable on a DNA based device (3.1v being the cut off). Also keep in mind that those cells are usually 68mm+ long, instead of the 65-66mm range of most IMR cells.

Having said all that Samsung, Sony, LG, AW, etc. IMR cells are still the best to use and what Evolv recommends for the chip.

Stankia

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2009
Stankia (sir or Ms.?) the DNA chip also draws power from the battery. You technically can run your set up with a battery that has at least a 6 amp rating on a DNA30 (as per the tech sheet), but you will be limited to most likely no more than 16-17w with a 1.8ohm coil (then the device will show a weak battery error). How much actual run time you'll gain is the question. ICR drop voltage faster than IMR, so not all of the capacity is useable on a DNA based device (3.1v being the cut off). Also keep in mind that those cells are usually 68mm+ long, instead of the 65-66mm range of most IMR cells.

Having said all that Samsung, Sony, LG, AW, etc. IMR cells are still the best to use and what Evolv recommends for the chip.

Thanks for the information, but for example Isn't the Panasonic NCR18650BD 3200mAh an IMR battery? It also has a 10 amp limit. Or the Efest Purple IMR18650 V1 3100mAh (claimed 20 amp limit)? I'm just wondering since I can't take my kayfun above 15 watts anyway without burning so why not increase battery life. I run a 2500mAh Efest right now and the increase of 600-700mAh would mean a lot, heck my first eGo had this much mAh alone.

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Stankia that cell is a hybrid IMR. It's the next generation upgrade from the NCR18650CH and NCR18650PD. For what you're using it for, the 10a limit won't be an issue. You won't be able to use it to 30w in your set up, but as you said that's not an issue to you. The purple efest v1 was 2100mah, the highest mah 18650 purple efest I ever saw was the one you are currently using the 2500mah. Again capacity increase only increases run time if that capacity is in the useable voltage spectrum of the mod.

Here's an example-

Cell A (this is not a real battery, just using it as an example)- 3100mah, 10a rated, 3.7v. 2300mah are above the 3.2v mark, 800mah are located after the battery drops below 3.2v.

Cell B (see note for A)- 2500mah, 20a rated, 3.7v. 2200mah are above the 3.2 mark, 300mah are located after the battery's voltage drops to 3.2v.

So in a DNA30 based mod Cell A has 2300mah useable capacity, Cell B 2200mah. That's good for a roughly 4.3% use time between charge increase. Cell A also will not allow you to use the mod to it's full extent, while Cell B will.

This doesn't even go into the long term affects. The harder you run a battery (as in the closer you get to it's amp limit or beyond*), the shorter it's life will be. Cell A will be ran closer to it's 10a limit in the DNA30 even at only 15w than Cell B.

Remember quality of cell also comes into play. Batteries from manufacturer or re-wrapper A may not last as long (number of charge wise) or be as high quality as from B and vice versa. Samsung 25r cells for example are only rated by Samsung to last for >250 charges. The Panasonic Hybrid (NCR18650BD) is for >400. Some re-wrappers get the top binned cells, others get the next tier down. So even if you get two of the same core cell 18650 (say Sony VCT4) from two different re-wrappers (say Keeppower and Xtar), doesn't mean they'll perform the same.

*Never go beyond a battery's amp limit, doing so is dangerous and whatever consequences you incur from it are your own fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread