• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Best attempt at a tobacco flavor so far --Full Credit to Nuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Data

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Tucson, Arizona
jasonpitts.com
Wow this is excellent! Thanks Nuck! Its not a cigarette, but it tastes a lot like a home-grown-dried tobacco. Thanks much! I am very curious how the Carmel worked out for you. I may have to try a batch like that later, but thought I would post my moded recipe on this. I vape really low nicotine content so I modified the mix to give a nice throat hit and to be a little less sweet. no ashtray taste! The throat hit is better than my 16mg vaporcigs tobacco flavored and still has more than enough vapor to satisfy.

15ml batch

I am writing this in the order I did it with a few notes.

Alcohol (everclear) = 1.5ml [10%]
Diluted tobacco absolute = 3 drops (see first post by Nuck) [1%]
Menthol concentrate = 1 drop (see first post by Nuck) [.33%]
Ethyl Maltol Notes:

(I used the alcohol-wet droper to get an amount on the tip about the density of 1 drop, approximately .05ml [.33%] I then mixed into the primarily alcohol-based solution currently in the mixing bottle and shook vigorously until it was almost dissolved. I couldn’t get it all mixed in until after the rest of the liquid was added, but this seemed to work best for the final product.

PG w/32mg Nicotine
= 2ml [13.33%]
PG = 7.25ml [48.33%]
100%VG (Wilton brand Glycerin) = 4ml [26.67%]

Product = 15ml/4.266667mg nicotine

Last edited:

Misty

Forum Admin Supplier & Commercial Manager
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada
Does anyone (Canadians especially) have any Ethyl maltol that they aren't using?? I really want to try that now, but I don't want to wait 2 weeks from the perfumers apprentice in California

If noone else pipes up, I can spare a bit for you so you can try it out..but can't send it out till Friday afternoon..!
Pm me..if you still would need by then..pleasure to help out:)

youfillintheblank

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Actually I'm getting some from jack at HappyVaper, thanks, I just need some to tide me over til I get another order from the perfumist.

If noone else pipes up, I can spare a bit for you so you can try it out..but can't send it out till Friday afternoon..!
Pm me..if you still would need by then..pleasure to help out:)

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Thanks, Misty, I've never done this before, but my stuff all gets here I'm going to try for a mild tobacco flavor, so here goes! I saw someplace though it was hard to mix in the maltol, but it is supposed to help smooth out tobacco absolute, so a three ingredient (with VG) juice might just work, I hope. I really miss the "old" JC Tennessee in VG.

Misty

Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada
I'm not sure if its like the old Tenessee - this formula is based on the Ecopure Intellicig ingredients which I've never tried to compare but sure do love the freshness and clarity of the mix!
Ethyl Maltol is almost like sugar - but even if not fully dissolved and some sediment floats down to bottom of the bottle, I always shake my bottle right before I drip or top off into a cart..
Keep us posted on how it turns out for you:)

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I am both lazy and cheap. To avoid extra shipping charges, I'd prefer to get as many ingredients as possible from the same supplier. [I already have one quart each of base PG and VG plus some 36mg unflavored PG.]

...1 (small) drop of highly concentrated menthol crystals mixture (used to clean up the flavor just a bit, does not turn it into a menthol flavor. This one can be left out if you want an earthier tasting vape)...

I see that Perfumers Apprentice's Menthol currently is out of stock. Would Menthone work?

...To create diluted tobacco absolute:

1 drop of tobacco absolute in the purest alcohol you have. I use absinthe at 70% but you vodka should work fine, even at 40%. The mix is 1 drop per 2 ml...

Why bother to pre-dilute the tobacco absolute? Would one drop of the undiluted absolute in say 30ml of e-liquid really be too much?

Thanks!

grumpster

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Texas USA
I on't know much about Menthone, but I don't think it's the same is menthol. Juicy liquids has both menthol drops and the crystals. It'll last you a long time so it's worth the investment.

I'm a heavy mehthol user so I prefer getting a larger amount of the crystals (1/4 lb.) from E-bay and mixing the drops my self. 66% ethanol, 34% crystals. That'll make enough drops to last almost forever even for a heavy menthol user like my self. Much cheeper than ordering it when I need it elseware.

As for the pre-dilute the tobacco absolute, I'd stick to the receipe. It's some pretty strong stuff and pre diluteing it allows you more control over it's streignth. If you get it too strong the taste turns to ashtray. You can also vary the streignth to your taste better from a pre diluted mix.

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
About mixing or making an Ethyl Maltol solution. I did some searching and found information that says that a saturated solution can be made by dissolving 1gm of Ethyl Maltol in 6ml of distilled water at 100C.

It also said Ethyl Maltol will dissolve easier in ethanol. I'll give it a go in some 151 proof Everclear and report back. This can likely be accomplished at slightly elevated temperatures as ethanol boils at about 78C (173F).

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Really appreciate the help on this thread, I haven't even started my DIY project yet, ingredients are ordered. My kitchen corner is going to start looking a little suspicious, I may have some explaining to do! My husband is retired law enforcement, and the Sheriff pays visits from time to time.
Will have to put up a sign, "Mad Lab, Enter at your own risk!" If anything gets "spilled" will be Mad! Will have to print up some brochures, I expect.
Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful.

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
OK, mixed up some Ethyl Maltol (EM) last night. Went like this - Took a little 3ml bottle, the kind that you get when you order from JC, and put 3ml of 151 Everclear in it. Started sprinkling EM in it and shaking till dissolved. Gave it a couple 4-5 second "zaps" in the microwave until it was noticeably warm to the touch. Continued sprinkling until it wouldn't dissolve any longer. Gave it another 5 second zap in the micro and it completely dissolved.

After it cooled down, a layer of crystal formed at the bottom about 2-3mm high. Siphoned off the clear fluid carefully with an eye dropper - this is saturated at room temperature. Added more Everclear to the remainder and went through the heating again. After cool, siphoned off some more. Ended up with 3ml of saturated at about 78F (house temp). Has a sweet, pleasing odor; can't even smell the alcohol.

Misty

Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada
If I put too much maltol - it just gets sweeter
If I put too much tobacco absolute it gets harsher and bitter
The only time I get a perfumey taste is with a brand new atomizer with factory primer on it!
But taste is so subjective, its hard to pinpoint for another..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread