Jan 25, 2013
Waldorf, MD
Last edited:

Blargh23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Arizona, US
IMRBatteries is on Mooch's list, along with a few others. (Mooch is the resident battery testing guru.)

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

I tend to avoid re-wrap brands like Efest, Vappow, etc and stick with actual manufacturers: Sony/Panasonic/Samsung/LG.

Just keep in mind that even brand name batteries come in different part numbers that will have different discharge ratings. For example:

Samsung 26F: 5.2A
Samsung 30Q: 15A
Samsung 25R: 20A
(mfg rating)

Last edited:

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
IMR Batteries are a trustworthy Vendor, bin the eFest for they're re-wrap company who not only grossly inflate their battery capabilities but can and do switch the batteries they re-wrap. Bottom line is you really can't trust them. Stick with Sony, Samsung or LG from trusted sources and you'll be fine.

Also keep up to date with Mooch's recommended battery list if you wanna be safe.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The last I looked at Mooch's updated February 2018 chart, he says this about which are best in his opinion:

For Lower Power Vaping & Mods (under 7A/21W)
LG HG2 - Mfr=20A 3000mAh

For Higher Power Vaping & Mods
Best All-Around 18650: Sony VTC5A - Est.=25A 2500mAh
Next Best: Samsung 25R (all versions) - Mfr=20A 2500mAh

BoogaWu

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Lakewood, CO
The last I looked at Mooch's updated February 2018 chart, he says this about which are best in his opinion:

For Lower Power Vaping & Mods (under 7A/21W)
LG HG2 - Mfr=20A 3000mAh

For Higher Power Vaping & Mods
Best All-Around 18650: Sony VTC5A - Est.=25A 2500mAh
Next Best: Samsung 25R (all versions) - Mfr=20A 2500mAh
In his newest video the HG2 got smoked by the 30q and VTC6.
I dunno.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I stick with Mooch's recommendations and he's never ever let me down. For 18650's I stick with Sony VTC5A's, 26650's are the iJoy's and I'm perfectly thrilled with them. For Regulated Mod's though I'm with VTC6's, Samsung 25R's and 30Q's but I'm rarely ever on them but they're still damn fine batteries.

penguinfan

Jan 25, 2013
Waldorf, MD
Ok i use a kanger c mini right now with a .5 coil....they say up to 60 watts but it tends to tast burnt when going even to high 30s...so i stay at 30 for the most part. I guess i dont need 35 amp for what i use. I have a Segeli but really only used it a couple of times dont have coil that can handle high wattage for it. So i assume 20amp are fine for vaping at 30 watts. I really just want to keep it simple(not likely to get into the intermediate/advanced aspects of vaping)just sticking with knowing enough to not have dangerous battery problems...if i end up using the Segeli i will probably want a better tank than i bought(not a high capacity enough for high wattage use)

Reactions: stols001

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Ok i use a kanger c mini right now with a .5 coil....they say up to 60 watts but it tends to tast burnt when going even to high 30s...so i stay at 30 for the most part. I guess i dont need 35 amp for what i use. I have a Segeli but really only used it a couple of times dont have coil that can handle high wattage for it. So i assume 20amp are fine for vaping at 30 watts. I really just want to keep it simple(not likely to get into the intermediate/advanced aspects of vaping)just sticking with knowing enough to not have dangerous battery problems...if i end up using the Segeli i will probably want a better tank than i bought(not a high capacity enough for high wattage use)
At 30W even the efests are probably OK, although it's hard to be sure since you don't know what actual battery is under the wrap. But any quality LG, Sony or Samsung 20A battery would be excellent. Allow me to recommend the Samsung 30Q for your application as it has a bit more mAh than its competitors.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
First off there is no 35a 18650 period, companies like eFest lie. That's why you stick with Sony, Samsung or LG.

Now to the coil, with factory coils they vary so when you start getting burnt hits back off about 5W. There are a few variables like juice, cotton, wire and quality of build especially with factory coils.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I just ordered 18650 efest 3000mah 35apm.....i thought these were ok for vaping the warning card said dopnt use in a e-cig...
I see that I am late to the party... Efests are generally not recommended because being an aftermarket company you can never be certain what their true specs are because they can change the cell that they use at any point in time and you'd never know. They typically over-rate their specs for marketing reasons. Never trust the specifications from an aftermarket company.
Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised
Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded or Aftermarket) Battery?
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
There are no 18650 batteries with a genuine rating over 30A!

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have some efests that came with a purchase I made, I hated them. They really offer very little in terms of wattage or run time.

With that said, IMRbatteries are my primary vendor, I mostly use Samsung 25s but I run rather low wattage, they are fine for my needs. The "don't use in vaping applications" is a standard warning for any batteries purchased from IMRbatteries, and I can't say I blame them. It's a blanket, legal covering of butts, due to vaping explosions that have happened.

But, you can do better in a battery, and it sounds like you are headed there. I think it *may* be safe to use the efests until then, I just wouldn't expect them to be excellent performers in any way, and keep your wattages low. I got rid of mine as a) don't know how old they were and b) can I just emphasize again how much I hated them, LOL.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
In his newest video the HG2 got smoked by the 30q and VTC6.
I dunno.
I wouldn't say they got "smoked". The results were actually pretty close. I doubt that the average person would notice much difference between the three in normal use.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't say they got "smoked". The results were actually pretty close. I doubt that the average person would notice much difference between the three in normal use.

This ^^^

I try not to sweat the little details. Buy a name brand battery that will safely put out the amps you want from a supplier you trust and enjoy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread