The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Best batteries (18650)

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by penguinfan, Feb 24, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. penguinfan

penguinfan Full Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    • Like Like x 2
  2. madstabber

madstabber Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yea the warning is just to cover their butt. I prefer LG, Sony, Samsung, or Sanyo when it comes to my vape batteries.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  3. penguinfan

penguinfan Full Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    What are the best sites for batteries? Best amp for .5ohm? Is the one i used reputable....thanks

• Like Like x 1
  4. smacuser

smacuser Boba TK Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    I thought IMR was a trusted vendor.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Blargh23

Blargh23 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2012
    Arizona, US
    IMRBatteries is on Mooch's list, along with a few others. (Mooch is the resident battery testing guru.)

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

I tend to avoid re-wrap brands like Efest, Vappow, etc and stick with actual manufacturers: Sony/Panasonic/Samsung/LG.

Just keep in mind that even brand name batteries come in different part numbers that will have different discharge ratings. For example:

Samsung 26F: 5.2A
    Samsung 30Q: 15A
    Samsung 25R: 20A
    (mfg rating)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. r055co

r055co Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    IMR Batteries are a trustworthy Vendor, bin the eFest for they're re-wrap company who not only grossly inflate their battery capabilities but can and do switch the batteries they re-wrap. Bottom line is you really can't trust them. Stick with Sony, Samsung or LG from trusted sources and you'll be fine.

Also keep up to date with Mooch's recommended battery list if you wanna be safe.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JCinFLA

JCinFLA Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2015
    The last I looked at Mooch's updated February 2018 chart, he says this about which are best in his opinion:

For Lower Power Vaping & Mods (under 7A/21W)
    LG HG2 - Mfr=20A 3000mAh

For Higher Power Vaping & Mods
    Best All-Around 18650: Sony VTC5A - Est.=25A 2500mAh
    Next Best: Samsung 25R (all versions) - Mfr=20A 2500mAh

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. BoogaWu

BoogaWu Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2016
    Lakewood, CO
    In his newest video the HG2 got smoked by the 30q and VTC6.
    I dunno.

• Like Like x 2
  9. r055co

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    I stick with Mooch's recommendations and he's never ever let me down. For 18650's I stick with Sony VTC5A's, 26650's are the iJoy's and I'm perfectly thrilled with them. For Regulated Mod's though I'm with VTC6's, Samsung 25R's and 30Q's but I'm rarely ever on them but they're still damn fine batteries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. penguinfan

penguinfan Full Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    Ok i use a kanger c mini right now with a .5 coil....they say up to 60 watts but it tends to tast burnt when going even to high 30s...so i stay at 30 for the most part. I guess i dont need 35 amp for what i use. I have a Segeli but really only used it a couple of times dont have coil that can handle high wattage for it. So i assume 20amp are fine for vaping at 30 watts. I really just want to keep it simple(not likely to get into the intermediate/advanced aspects of vaping)just sticking with knowing enough to not have dangerous battery problems...if i end up using the Segeli i will probably want a better tank than i bought(not a high capacity enough for high wattage use)

• Like Like x 1
  11. penguinfan

penguinfan Full Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    I just ordered sopme but i think i got 15 amp by mistake

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. BoogaWu

BoogaWu Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2016
    Lakewood, CO
    30 watts you only really need 10 amps. What did you order?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. suprtrkr

suprtrkr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

At 30W even the efests are probably OK, although it's hard to be sure since you don't know what actual battery is under the wrap. But any quality LG, Sony or Samsung 20A battery would be excellent. Allow me to recommend the Samsung 30Q for your application as it has a bit more mAh than its competitors.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. penguinfan

penguinfan Full Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    I got Sony VTC6 18650 3000mAh 15A Battery. I'll just but new ones if i ever change up to the segeli(which i rather not use until i want to vape over 100 watts anyway)

• Like Like x 1
  15. r055co

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    First off there is no 35a 18650 period, companies like eFest lie. That's why you stick with Sony, Samsung or LG.

Now to the coil, with factory coils they vary so when you start getting burnt hits back off about 5W. There are a few variables like juice, cotton, wire and quality of build especially with factory coils.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I see that I am late to the party... Efests are generally not recommended because being an aftermarket company you can never be certain what their true specs are because they can change the cell that they use at any point in time and you'd never know. They typically over-rate their specs for marketing reasons. Never trust the specifications from an aftermarket company.
    Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised
    Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded or Aftermarket) Battery?
    Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
    There are no 18650 batteries with a genuine rating over 30A!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I have some efests that came with a purchase I made, I hated them. They really offer very little in terms of wattage or run time.

With that said, IMRbatteries are my primary vendor, I mostly use Samsung 25s but I run rather low wattage, they are fine for my needs. The "don't use in vaping applications" is a standard warning for any batteries purchased from IMRbatteries, and I can't say I blame them. It's a blanket, legal covering of butts, due to vaping explosions that have happened.

But, you can do better in a battery, and it sounds like you are headed there. I think it *may* be safe to use the efests until then, I just wouldn't expect them to be excellent performers in any way, and keep your wattages low. I got rid of mine as a) don't know how old they were and b) can I just emphasize again how much I hated them, LOL.

Anna

18. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    I buy my cells here ---> Batteries and Chargers stick with Samsung, LG, Sony.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I wouldn't say they got "smoked". The results were actually pretty close. I doubt that the average person would notice much difference between the three in normal use.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    This ^^^

I try not to sweat the little details. Buy a name brand battery that will safely put out the amps you want from a supplier you trust and enjoy them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.