Status
Not open for further replies.

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
Add two wraps (7), and you get 0.50ohms... where I've been loving it!
Actually, that's the build I was shooting for but missed it by a wrap. I think one more on each coil with my given diameter would get me there, but I've truly been enjoying this at .42 that I did my second Odin the same.

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
Actually, that's the build I was shooting for but missed it by a wrap. I think one more on each coil with my given diameter would get me there, but I've truly been enjoying this at .42 that I did my second Odin the same.

I've been using the same rod as you with the gizmo...7 wraps comes out to 0.52 or sometimes 0.50... I might try your build next time... sometimes I wish it was a hair bit warmer, but mostly 95% of the time its right where I want it... :)

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
I've been using the same rod as you with the gizmo...7 wraps comes out to 0.52 or sometimes 0.50... I might try your build next time... sometimes I wish it was a hair bit warmer, but mostly 95% of the time its right where I want it... :)
I might try 7 wraps when I rebuild one next time. It amazes me that the Odin doesn't really get hot and I'm using such a short drip tip, too, the router tip. It's amazing. But, back to the OP, at least you get an idea, right?

BockinBboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Illinois
It shouldn't feel like you have to get used to it... it should feel more like 'BAM! I'm vapin' this all day!'

You might try getting your duals into the .7-.8ohm range with the air holes about 1/3 open max - it wouldn't be quite so much of a jump and should still give great flavour. Vapour production would be more full but not choke you out, as its less of a jump there too. You could do a similar coil with smaller gauge wire like 28 or 29 ga (probably warm up a bit faster too) and an extra wrap to get the ohms up.

- Bboy

kinggirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Dallas
It took me a little bit of reading to figure out I should close the air holes a bit. Now, it's right where I like it. Plus, I didnt' have my glasses on and grabbed an older 12mg bottle of liquid and I normally do 6mg now. I think all that combined was what hit me hard. Not complaining though! I know what I'm reaching for if I have had a few cocktails!

BigB_117

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2009
I like 26ga 6 wraps on a 1/16 drill bit for 0.34 ohms. Air holes wide open. Nice and warm. It Really makes my tobacco flavors pop.

My plan for next time is to try a slightly larger drill bit and see if I can get more cotton inside the coil so I can take longer hits. No idea if it will work, but that's half the fun.

Spooky28

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
North Carolina
WHY did I ever consider not using this Odin? First successful builds for both REOs 7 wraps with 28 ga Kanthal around this little screwdriver. I have an EZe-coil but I'm still figuring that out. Anyway first dual coil build at .38 ohms. SERIOUSLY awesome with the help of sxmxdrifter's little videos. It still looks a little goofy on my little LP SL Black Wrinkle Copper Vein but WOW.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I run dual 29 ga coils that are 6 wraps and meter at 1 ohm each. I tension wind them on the artistic wire coil gizmo. When they are mounted in parallel, they net .5 ohms. Then I wick em with KGD.

I've tried 28 ga but found the heat up to be slower than the 29 ga.

It's important that both coils are the same resistance and when their mounted, the coils are the same distance away from the posts.

That will make your coils fire simultaneously and consistently . Here's two vids:

http://youtu.be/iuO0JOvGukI

http://youtu.be/Uo4tbAVaZws

And here's one on a 28 ga single coil build and shows proper use of the gizmo and how to cue your coils to remove hot legs :)

http://youtu.be/0XLIHmm5p2Y

kinggirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Dallas
This part is what confuses me so sorry in advance for asking a dumb question. In theory, if I do 7 wraps on 28g, then if I do the same wraps on 26g, the coil ohm should be lower or higher on which? I always use 28g but read someones rec on 26g but am just trying to remember which one yields a higher coil than the other.

BigB_117

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2009
This part is what confuses me so sorry in advance for asking a dumb question. In theory, if I do 7 wraps on 28g, then if I do the same wraps on 26g, the coil ohm should be lower or higher on which? I always use 28g but read someones rec on 26g but am just trying to remember which one yields a higher coil than the other.

yup, thicker wire = less resistance. This can be really handy. Say you have a 7 wrap 28ga coil, and you like the way it performs, but maybe want a warmer vape. You can make a 28ga coil with less wraps for less resistance, but sometimes that gets you less surface area of wire touching the wick to vaporize juice. By changing to a thicker wire you can get less resistance, the same number of wraps, and sometimes more surface area touching your wick. It's all subjective though, a coils that I love, you may hate.

Personally I also find thicker wire easier to work with, it's not springy.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
A good approximation to remember, when experimenting with wire gauges and number of wraps. 3 wire gauges up or down will either half or double the resistance. In other words, 27g will be approximately half the resistance, per given length, of 30g. 27g will be approximately twice the resistance, per given length, of 24g.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread