Best quality made mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMK4444

Oct 10, 2017
AB, CANADA
hey, so I've been vaping about 6 months. And I've tried a few different mods. What I've noticed is that there is a HUGE difference in quality in some mods. Right now I have a joyetech evic primo mini 80w..and its absolutley atrocious. It couldn't be worse. The battery life is horrendous. I legit have to charge it 4 times a day..I have to always have my charger with me. The weak battery sign comes on even after a full charge if I use it more than a few fires... When the battery gets below half, the thing barely pulls any vapor at all..so really, u only get a half battery life. And, this is the worst part...if u go above like 47 watts...it shows weak battery immediately and stops fireing!

I couldn't be more disappointed with this piece of junk. I'll never buy joyetech again.

Now, when I first started vaping I had a kangertech mini Kbox..and compared to the evic primo mini..it was a thousand times better..and after that I had a eleaf pico istick mini.. This was by far the better of the three. Unfortunately my gf lost it, hence the reason I have this piece of trash primo mini now.

Anyway, to my question...there are very clearly good, bad, great and terrible quality mods out there....can anyone recommend to me a good or great quality made mod for a decent price? I don't care about lights or fancy looks...I want something QUALITY made... Any suggestions?? Thanks!
If you want a cheap mod that is actually decent Tc, wattage, ects... I would suggest a Smok T priv.. Usually Smok makes .... but the t priv is actually built well. It's actually tougher zinc alloy instead of cheap aluminum or plastic casing. Which because of its design, it's actually completely surrounded by its metal frame. The screen is on top which actually cuts down on having it banged around as much as typical side screens.. They only like 40 for the mod.. 220w.. Check out djlv on YouTube he give it a good rating. Only Smok I'd recommend but it's rugged n beefy..

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If you want a cheap mod that is actually decent Tc, wattage, ects... I would suggest a Smok T priv.. Usually Smok makes .... but the t priv is actually built well. It's actually tougher zinc alloy instead of cheap aluminum or plastic casing. Which because of its design, it's actually completely surrounded by its metal frame. The screen is on top which actually cuts down on having it banged around as much as typical side screens.. They only like 40 for the mod.. 220w.. Check out djlv on YouTube he give it a good rating. Only Smok I'd recommend but it's rugged n beefy..

Not sure how you’re getting zinc alloy being tougher than aluminum.

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
I have and had (haha) a bunch of mods. I don't think I have a single one where everything works and it's totally solid. Even my little single battery favorite (Sigelei Spark/Minibook) loses the battery door magnets just after you open the box.

I require a tank (as in steel tracks/etc), and I don't care how heavy it is. Ya know, always train with extra weight. Silicon, sheet metal, pop-rivets and epoxy are my friends. You should see my electric chainsaw, it's a frankenbeast.

That Aspire Speeder was pretty nice, and it's working again. Press fit 510 connection. How will that work if you drop it? All the force when it lands on the tank forces it loose.

To me, it seems that if you want a tough mod, you have to modify it yourself each time it breaks.

I have a mountain bike headlight, and it's amazingly bright. I've dropped it, crashed, it's been wet and covered in mud. It pops off the handlebars and makes a nice flashlight. It's spent hundreds of hours bouncing around in a pocket for use as a flashlight. I wish they could change the firmware and epoxy on a 510 connector, that thing would be the stuff. Oh, that's the same life all my mods get too!

• Love

RMK4444

Oct 10, 2017
AB, CANADA
I have and had (haha) a bunch of mods. I don't think I have a single one where everything works and it's totally solid. Even my little single battery favorite (Sigelei Spark/Minibook) loses the battery door magnets just after you open the box.

I require a tank (as in steel tracks/etc), and I don't care how heavy it is. Ya know, always train with extra weight. Silicon, sheet metal, pop-rivets and epoxy are my friends. You should see my electric chainsaw, it's a frankenbeast.

That Aspire Speeder was pretty nice, and it's working again. Press fit 510 connection. How will that work if you drop it? All the force when it lands on the tank forces it loose.

To me, it seems that if you want a tough mod, you have to modify it yourself each time it breaks.

I have a mountain bike headlight, and it's amazingly bright. I've dropped it, crashed, it's been wet and covered in mud. It pops off the handlebars and makes a nice flashlight. It's spent hundreds of hours bouncing around in a pocket for use as a flashlight. I wish they could change the firmware and epoxy on a 510 connector, that thing would be the stuff. Oh, that's the same life all my mods get too!
Yeah i dont think you can find many duel 18650s that are heavier then the tpriv. I have been through so many mods its sickening. None of these tc box mods are built to last long. They are like iphones. meant by design to only last a couple years tops so they keep us comin back.. Lol

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Mostly from the table of elements. And General physics

Zinc alloy is more commonly known as “pot metal”. It’s chosen for low melting point, low cost, and low shrinkage. All other characteristics including corrosion, break resistance, toxicity, and wear, are not considered. There is a reason pot metal is always painted. I personally consider aluminum to be a vastly superior metal for mods

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
@bombastinator You missed an important one, it's also very nice on the molds used in casting. I don't ever recall any metal actually breaking during normal misuse though (excluding the Aspire Speeder, but it's working again). They have all seemed to be fine in that regard. Shiny stainless or Aluminum is always nicer for keeping the looks up over time though.

In my experience, the number one killer of mods is cheap buttons that fail, bad materials for contacts (mechs) and juice spills on the electronics.

I think juice/liquid spills are the number one killer and one that I will focus one in making my mods a little more bulletproof.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If you're looking for reliability, I suggest something that uses an authentic DNA board. They're going to be more expensive because of patents by Evolv. However, I think they are worth the price. They are more reliable, energy efficient, and accurate than generic chipsets that most manufacturers use.

I use a JAC Vapour series B DNA 75W. I couldn't be happier with it. I like it so much that I bought another one as a Christmas gift for my son. I get a full day's use with a single Samsung 30Q 3000mah battery using a sub-ohm tank at 30 - 40 watts.

My previous high quality mod was a Provari, but they are no longer in business.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
JAC Vapour Series B DNA 75W sandstone variety

dna-sandstorm-s1.jpg

RMK4444

Oct 10, 2017
AB, CANADA
Zinc alloy is more commonly known as “pot metal”. It’s chosen for low melting point, low cost, and low shrinkage. All other characteristics including corrosion, break resistance, toxicity, and wear, are not considered. There is a reason pot metal is always painted. I personally consider aluminum to be a vastly superior metal for mods

Thanks for the lil tip but we all went to grade 3 science.. If you were goin to be in an accident would you rather have a car made of aluminum or actual metal alloys. I'd take the heavier, stronger 1969 Era vehicle over some 2017 lightweight piece of crap in a head on head crash. Any day. There's a reason they're still around. Weight wasn't a concern if you actually have read. And are you actually serious? The day you own a mod long enuf that it actually have corrodes on you!?! Lmao 2nd. Toxicity? Really? Your worried about being poisoned by what? Touching metals? There a 1000 things day to day the average person comes across that are more concerning. Either of those 2 bad points are completely irrelevant. Aluminum is tinfoil junk. It dints, scratches n tarnishes instantly. Which is also why it's usually painted on mods..

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@bombastinator You missed an important one, it's also very nice on the molds used in casting. I don't ever recall any metal actually breaking during normal misuse though (excluding the Aspire Speeder, but it's working again). They have all seemed to be fine in that regard. Shiny stainless or Aluminum is always nicer for keeping the looks up over time though.

In my experience, the number one killer of mods is cheap buttons that fail, bad materials for contacts (mechs) and juice spills on the electronics.

I think juice/liquid spills are the number one killer and one that I will focus one in making my mods a little more bulletproof.
I viewed that as falling under under low melting point and low shrinkage. It means there’s basically no freeze out with pot metal. You need few if any sprues and the metal will cast in very thin sheets. It’s basically as close to plastic as metal gets working wise.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Aluminum is tinfoil junk. It dints, scratches n tarnishes instantly. Which is also why it's usually painted on mods..
I have to disagree. I have a Segelei Fuchai 213 Plus mod made of anodized aluminum and polycarbonate plastic. There is no paint. It is far from tinfoil junk. It is resistant to dents and scratches. Probably my most tank-like mod I own, and I've had more than a few.

sigelei-fuchai-213-plus-group.jpg

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks for the lil tip but we all went to grade 3 science.. If you were goin to be in an accident would you rather have a car made of aluminum or actual metal alloys. I'd take the heavier, stronger 1969 Era vehicle over some 2017 lightweight piece of crap in a head on head crash. Any day. There's a reason they're still around. Weight wasn't a concern if you actually have read. And are you actually serious? The day you own a mod long enuf that it actually have corrodes on you!?! Lmao 2nd. Toxicity? Really? Your worried about being poisoned by what? Touching metals? There a 1000 things day to day the average person comes across that are more concerning. Either of those 2 bad points are completely irrelevant. Aluminum is tinfoil junk. It dints, scratches n tarnishes instantly. Which is also why it's usually painted on mods..

Wow they do metallurgy in the third grade now? and to think I had to go to college. Anyway you may have failed it. Aluminum IS a metal. And yes I would much rather have an aluminum car that would actually bend an protect me rather than a car so weak and brittle that it couldn’t even hold itself upright, and would crack like plaster if struck.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh

According to the IIHS modern cars are very safe. I hit a wall doing 50 mph in my 2005 Grand Am, I didn't have one scratch on me. Aluminium is an element btw not an alloy.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
According to the IIHS modern cars are very safe. I hit a wall doing 50 mph in my 2005 Grand Am, I didn't have one scratch on me. Aluminium is an element btw not an alloy.
Yes and no. Aluminum Al is an element, but pure aluminum is too soft to be useful for most things. Generally you only see it in high voltage cabling these days. The most common aluminum is an alloy originally named duraluminum which was invented just prior to World War Two. It contains some copper and other things iirc. When they talk about aluminum being stronger than steel weight for weight they’re talking about duraluminum or a modern variant rather than pure alumninum

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
A true good quality mod, is slowly becoming a unicorn :( Sure the DNA is a good quality Chip! But A lot of DNA mods today are assembled in China :( They are very poorly assembled, shoddy soldering, sub standard wiring. In short not built to last.
I'm sorry to say, in todays "Best Price" market, the only way your getting a real good quality mod, is to build it your self.

The people have spoken! No one wanted to pay several hundred dollars for a mod, most of the better mod making (American) companies have gone out of business :( The days of a mod lasting many years are gone :(

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

Zinc alloy is by far the most common material regulated mods these days are made of. And aluminium is usually regarded as a premium material, and is arguably tougher.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread