Best RTA for a First-Timer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My easiest build was a Siren V2, because it's a velocity style deck. The Ares ONE was an easy build TOO but like, it suffered from multiple problems an failures. Neither are the BEST for flavor and I'm not sure if that's due to the deck style or what. I mean I love my Siren V2s but really you gotta use a strong, simple juice. Honeysuckle, ice cubes and rice water are NOT gonna do it. Think more like a fairly well balanced and easy going sort of fruit, type deal.

I do not have an Ares II so I will reserve comment because I hated the Ares 1 SO MUCH I really am not getting one until the verdict is in.

There are some great MTL atomizers that suffer from the issue of having phillips head screws that can be a freaking PROBLEM. I don't know how airy you like to get but the Freesia vape by Damn Vape is like the easiest vape of all time, because it has those screws with a cross on the top (I am doing great with my terminology here heh) and that makes things a TON easier. I noticed they had a Diamond RTA and I have not vaped it but same setup for the deck and coil.

I suppose if you really know your screw types and measurements, you could replace all the Philips head screws with like better ones that are easier to grip.

Get a coilmaster tab, more for stability of base than anything else. I also leaked liberally all over mine until I learned how to wick which is just.... Well you'll figure it out.

IDK some of my favortre RTAs are harder for me to build but over time I just got used to it. Like, one fine day I spent 2 intermittent hours trying to get a coil installed on my vape. Good lighting and magnification glasses can be helpful too. I don't like the jewler's loupe because everything looks weird to me perspective wise. Etc.

If it is hard, check out the rayon thread, because I LOVE rayon anyway it plays to my strengths (overstuffing the coil) as it shrinks instead of expanding BUT it also lasts way longer between wicking jobs, so that is a plus for me, it made wicking easier.

It's fine to start with premade coils, if it all feels overwhelming and whatnot. It's just one less thing you have to do although if you ask me, making a coil is easier than installing it.

Just.. If you really want to, you will find a way. I have also figured out good day bad day stuff and I try not to RTA if I'm having a bad day. But the payoff is worth it..

Oh, Rayon thread: Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Not sure what’s current. I’m tired of clearomizers & coils. I’m ok with electronics though soddering is hard for me as I have a bit of tardive dykinesia/hand tremor. Tired of weak vapor, leaky coils, coils that die after 1 day, etc.
This is going to be hard. If you are looking for an RTA because you are after the ease of use... I don't don't think you'll get what you want. I've learned the hard way that incorrect wicking will definitely lead to leaking. Once you get it right though- magic. And so much cheaper to run than factory coils. You can also choose the wicking material that you prefer: cotton, rayon (celucotton), and I recently saw a blend of 20/80% hemp/cotton with very good reviews, some folks claiming it to be better than cotton bacon and other popular wicks out there. If flavor is what you are after then hell yeah, that's the way to go. A bit of learning that is going to be very rewarding.

What wattage do you normally vape at?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I did not get into RTAs for ease of use, you can TRUST me on that. I practiced and practiced and practiced to be self sufficient.

How bad/often is your TK? How much time between involuntary writhing motions? For a fine motor tremor, bracing is most helpful for most things and you may have to attempt things from weird directions and odd angles.

But I have little doubt that if you wish you will get there. There were days I'd get SO frustrated just practicing a skill.

If your symptoms are soul destroying and awful, well maybe you need to befriend a coil installer and you do the wicking. If you get decent coils and take care of them, it is not like you will be recoiling every time.

There were freaking RTAs like the doggy style that made me cry but I kept at it and I'm glad I did it's a great vape "Re-coil a doggy style" is never a great day for me but I'm glad I kept at it. If you lean from what doesn't work and practice, I'd say building is possible for may of us.

You are MTL (like me thank GOD) so it's not like you will ever have to like mount parallel fused coils of the exact same resistance. Usually a single simple single round wire will do.

Anna

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
RDA's are definitely a decent option @SlowTalker, but RDTA's may be even better.

As they're a good middle ground and easier to work with than RTA's.

I keep on wondering about the new Taifun GX RDTA, as Ulton make a good looking quality clone or copy.

As there's a lot of airflow options available with the replaceable airflow inserts and every Ulton clone I've picked up has excellent materials and workmanship, o rings are garbage though but the same can be said about a lot of other atomisers that aren't cheap at all.

But o rings can be easily sourced and replaced with ones made from better materials (EPDM, FKM or FFKM).

But can anyone else think of some MTL RDTA's to list?

Reactions: stols001

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Yes, the Vapefly Brunhilde is an RDTA I beleive @stols001. There's also the Vapefly Galaxies RDTA as well.

Come on folks, lets get a few more MTL RDTA's listed.

The Vapefly Brunhilde RTA is actually a top coiler RTA, it's not called an RDTA at all:D
    There is the Galaxies RDTA though:)
    Anyone that tells you otherwise has no idea about the Mighty Brunhilde;)
    image.jpeg

How many do you have and how much do you know about the manufacturers of the RTA?:)

Edit: And anyone that disagrees with this post is just a little bit Sillyo_O

Last edited:
    • Disagree
    Reactions: Mordacai

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I bought most of the latest and greatest in my earlier years of vaping. I had to try quite a few atomizers only to find that I liked my EHPro Kayfun v2 better than any of them. Some leaked easily in the warmth of a pocket. Others were finicky in the deck build. I didn't really see the need for dual coils at 10W. For the last 7 years or more it's been the KF v2, Beserker, and a couple of other attys that suit my vaping style.

I'm still looking for the one that will replace my Kayfuns.

Reactions: Frenchfry1942

Redbird11

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2020
    Missouri, USA
    The Vapefly Brunhilde RTA is actually a top coiler RTA, it's not called an RDTA at all:D
    View attachment 891745
    How many do you have and how much do you know about the manufacturers of the RTA?:)
    The Bunhilde is one RTA that I have really been interested in buying, but I have had no luck finding it anywhere besides places like Fasttech.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    View attachment 891745

The only thing it's missing is the ability to be squonked @Daniel Forsyth, but you can still drip with it. So it is technically an RDTA.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread