Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Agree with @englishmick

I primarily vape mtl (flavor chaser) on rta's. ATM I'm tootin' along on a 1.2 ohm coil at 14W with my DIY juice. I get a cooler vape at 1.2 ohms...sometimes I like cooler and other times warmer. I have 3 attys in rotation all the time each setup differently.

And as others have already posted perhaps consider DIY. It's a ton of fun and very satisfying making your own tailored to your tastes.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I normally buy my gear through Fastech if/when not in a hurry but as @sofarsogood said you need to pay attention to the item's availability. I do use Vapecrawler to find any bargains that might be available and occasionally find the gear I want from a US vendor even cheaper. There are many good vendors to choose from, I've been lucky and have yet to have a bad experience.

Reactions: Red Beard

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    At 12W what resistance are your coils?
    I realize that that question wasn't asked to me, but I vape at a lower wattage range and higher resistance coils. 1.7ish ohm resistance in the 8.5 - 9 watt range, or close to 4 volts depending on whether I'm using a VW (variable wattage) or a VV (variable voltage) mod. Using one of my mech (mechanical) mods a freshly charged battery puts out a bit over 4 volts, and when it (the battery) gets to the high 3.7 volt area, I transfer the battery to one of my reg (regulated (VV or VW)) mods and ask it to deliver closer to the 4 volt area.

Robert Morgan

May 16, 2019
    Hi Guy: You may think I am crazy coming from Southern Illinois but I have been vaping for over 10 years - My only supplier is Lightning Vapes in Florida. Sean gives you everything you need to go into a not expensive RTA to include a video on how to hook up your new atomizer with coils and cotton. My favorite is stainless steel wire 27g and Bacon cotton. I have been around the world with replacement coils and all the money you spend. Do It Yourself coils and cotton on a single coil set up is the way this old man goes. I have a KayFun 5 25mm clone from china that was $20 and a eleaf ikuu. 11 wraps around a 3.0mm rod, comes out to right at 1.0 ohm and I fire it at 16 watts all day long and don't burn up my cotton and have a full day of juice and battery life. Try this and you will find out what I mean. You won't be messing with a toy all day - you will be enjoying the vape.

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hi Guy: You may think I am crazy coming from Southern Illinois but I have been vaping for over 10 years - My only supplier is Lightning Vapes in Florida. Sean gives you everything you need to go into a not expensive RTA to include a video on how to hook up your new atomizer with coils and cotton. My favorite is stainless steel wire 27g and Bacon cotton. I have been around the world with replacement coils and all the money you spend. Do It Yourself coils and cotton on a single coil set up is the way this old man goes. I have a KayFun 5 25mm clone from china that was $20 and a eleaf ikuu. 11 wraps around a 3.0mm rod, comes out to right at 1.0 ohm and I fire it at 16 watts all day long and don't burn up my cotton and have a full day of juice and battery life. Try this and you will find out what I mean. You won't be messing with a toy all day - you will be enjoying the vape.
    Hi Robert,
    "... welcome to the machine
    Where have you been?
    It's alright we know where you've been" (PF '75)

Congrats on 10 years smoke free!!

Cheers
    I

Red Beard

May 11, 2019
    Doesn't sound crazy at all. My only tweak would be to go a bit higher on the resistance like around 1.3 to 1.5 but I only say that because my pod's coils are 1.4 ohm. I know I'm talking apples and oranges, but that's about all I know for now. Will check out Lightning Vapes as well as Vapecrawler from Str8vision's post. Thanks!

Red Beard

May 11, 2019
    I normally buy my gear through Fastech if/when not in a hurry but as @sofarsogood said you need to pay attention to the item's availability. I do use Vapecrawler to find any bargains that might be available and occasionally find the gear I want from a US vendor even cheaper. There are many good vendors to choose from, I've been lucky and have yet to have a bad experience.
    I did a google search on US vendors but didn't come up with much. Can you give me a few sources? Thanks!

Reactions: stols001

Red Beard

May 11, 2019
    Hello @Red Beard, Wotofo Chieftain? There's a lot more out there to choose than that.

Could we ask where you're based please? As we may be able to provide suggestions of various different places to get gear from.

Also, what are you looking for with a mod and atomiser and what is your budget please?
    I'm in the Midwest; Chicago area. Thanks!

Reactions: Mordacai

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Fasttech has great prices and selection but they cut corners severely. Everything is shipped from overseas and takes weeks or months to arrive. Support is limited and some vendors refuse to honor warranties on items purchased through them. You have a high likelihood of getting fake batteries from them. I think of Fasttech like a black market swap meet: they're alright only if you know exactly what you want and don't need support.

Since you're new and starting out, look for domestic retailer, perhaps a brick & mortar vape shop in town. Your needs sound pretty typical so they'll have what you need in stock and they'll be willing to provide after-sales support. If your bargain hunter reflex acts up just recall how much you're already saving on cigs; might as well share some of that with your local economy.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Red Beard, Fastech has the most comprehensive stock with good prices. Shipping can take a week to two weeks and sometimes longer, depending on the time of year, especially during the Chinese New Year shutdown in March.

I order frequently from FastTech, but I always Google what I'm looking and and lots of times there will be a USA vendor sale with a good price. I order from USA vendors when the price is right and get it a lot quicker.

If you include lithium cells with a FastTech order be prepared to wait because they will usually send them back to the shipper. I order lithium cells from one of the sellers below.

Illumn.com - Flashlights, Batteries, Carry Gear, Intelligent LED Lighting, and More!
    Authentic AW Batteries - RTD Vapor
    Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery distributor

Red Beard

May 11, 2019
    You said you don't expect to need more than 80W and don't plan to do the sub ohm thing. At 80W you have a lot of choices. Don't go over 12W myself.

If small size sounds good to you get an 18650 mod, if you want better run time get a slightly bigger mod that uses larger batteries.

Run time isn't important to me at 12W. I got an Asmodus Colossal recently, it seems like a first rate mod. I also got an Aegis Mini. I really love that one but it has a small internal battery which doesn't run very long even for me. I've ordered an Aegis Solo which is a larger version of the Mini that uses a replaceable 18650 battery. They are all around the $30+ mark if you look around a bit. If your budget goes higher than that the choices are endless.

I can only recommend them because that's all I've bought recently. I use low power and like smaller mods. If you expect to use higher power, closer to 80W, you might want to look at a mod using a larger battery or 2 batteries just for the run time. Both Asmodus and Aegis have models like that. They are both good manufacturers IMO.
    I like this Asmodus Colossal. Just watched a few reviews and it looks very like what I'm wanting. I may have watched another review (been watching many) but I think one of them said you cannot recharge the 16850 via the usb port. Is that correct? Not a big deal but it would only be another plus if I could. Thanks!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I like this Asmodus Colossal. Just watched a few reviews and it looks very like what I'm wanting. I may have watched another review (been watching many) but I think one of them said you cannot recharge the 16850 via the usb port. Is that correct? Not a big deal but it would only be another plus if I could. Thanks!
    Believe you can charge but asmodus doesn't recommend it. Honestly if you want onboard charging get a DNA or an internal battery device.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread