Status
Not open for further replies.

evgeny131

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2013
Los Angeles
View attachment 211783
I'll recommend the provari, but it is expensive, but you will be very satisfied with the quality and reliability.
For attys believe that the future is Genesis and there you need to focus your attention.
heres my vamo in 350 mode....ss i worth the extra 5 or 10 bucks...just buy it for that kinda money u can get more mods later

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
@wv2win, True, twist are overpriced, I still have one as it was was first step up from simple ego batts from my early vaping days.

My next step had me deciding between a Lavatube or a Provari, I had actually ordered a ~ just announced at the time ~ an Apollo SS VTube, but since it took them forever to release it I just cancelled the ordered an ordered a provari, I have not regret it.

Now I order Panasonic 18650 batts from Fasttech and Amazon (bought 6 between the two recently) that cost me between $6.5 and $10 a pop, those last me a day and a half to two days of 6 to 8 ml of vaping a day.

I did revisit the Darwin at the link you posted yesterday, at $258 (an recurring argument against against the provari is how 'expensive' it is, but the tube alone if $170) I think it should have VV as well. I barely use VW on my Vamo (every juice / device is better at a slight different wattage)

Still, I can't argue on price alone, it's the same about the Vamo / ZMax / Provari, one can also buy a Smok the Natural for $50 (as I did and I'm VERY happy with it) or a $240+ GGTS (as I didn't and wont, but mostly cause I hate hunting down devices)

also, looking at the pics of the Darwin, I just can't see how one can put the arm in the OFF position with an AGA-T or RSST attached to it.

But hey, you love the device, good for you, I LIKE my provari, a lot, but I'm not a fanboy, it could have many improvements as well:

- Flat top for looks (personal pref),
- 4 or 4.5 amp switch (I can only use .8 ohms-up attys currently),
- OLED Screen with multiple info at once (ohms + volts or watts + battery left)
- analog jog (not stepped) / button for adjustments

Now, THAT would be an ideal device

Last edited:

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
im sure most provari owners will stand by the quality of the product, in the end, its just a battery though...

that would only be true if you were talking about mechanical devices, AMP limits, max watts, SECURITY features built quality all come into play here.

I also have a SS Vamo from exhale vapers, nothing wrong it, nothing great either, it does work

Sector000

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
California
I think it should have VV as well. I barely use VW on my Vamo (every juice / device is better at a slight different wattage)
VV is obsolete when you have VW.

VW, by definition, also regulates the voltage. It does everything VV does. And it does it better and automatically.

It is unfair to say "Well, even with VW, you still need to make minor adjusts to account for different juice, atomizers, and preferences." Yes, that's true. But you didn't mention that it's even worse with VV because you'd also have to account for resistance differences.

I think people should stop perpetuating the myth that VV is just as easy as VW. It's a disservice to new users and to those who don't know or don't care about the technical details. Why make something more complicated than it needs to be?

With VW, 8W is always 8W. It's that simple.

With VV, 8W is "4V at 2Ω" but "3.4641016151377545870548926V at 1.5Ω" and "4.4721359549995793928183473V at 2.5Ω". Yes, they're all the same. But as far as users are concerned (and rightfully so), the latter are just overly complicated ways of saying "8W".

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
hey everyone

looking to upgrade soon from just a couple of 650 mah ego batteries to a nice VV mod. price is an issue, but im not really sure what my range is... so dont take that into consideration while making recommendations. Just let me know what mod (or mods) work best for you and why!

as a side note, ive never used an atty, i only use tanks. let me know what you use on your mod and what you like about it. i use the mini vivi nova on the 650 mah egos, would probably use a regular vivi nova or a kanger pro on a VV mod.

thanks for all your help!

PS... pictures are encouraged ;)

I don't believe I saw anything about VW in this original post. The question from the OP was about VV. Not VW or the opinion that one is better than the other. The post was about VV!!!!!!
And for the money the Spinner is still a winner.

Sector000

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
California
I don't believe I saw anything about VW in this original post. The question from the OP was about VV. Not VW or the opinion that one is better than the other. The post was about VV!!!!!!
VW is necessarily also VV. A device that regulate wattage must also regulate voltage. But not vice versa.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Still just trying to answer the OP's question. To each their own. But then I build my own coils so I don't have to worry about either.
Just a nice clean vape. The math says I'm vaping around 20 watts. Feels more like 7-8 when done right. Just adjust your device to your own personal preference. And then sit back and enjoy life. But go ahead and make your stand for VW. Whatever floats your boat.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
I have several VV and VW PV's and my favorite is the Smoktech Groove. It is a VV/VW box mod that has a 3800 Mah Li-Polymer Battery that lasts me four days. I usually recharge overnight after three days just to make sure it doesn't run down during the day. I use the same charger as my cellphone so it is handy when I'm traveling I only need one charger. I also have a MVP but I like the Groove much better. It has many more features plus I like the top fire button for comfortable vaping. Combine it with a Kanger Protank and you are good to go!:)

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
What's your point?

I get that unregulated devices have their advantages, but they also come with disadvantages, mainly inconvenience and arguably safety.

What I'm saying is VV has no advantage over VW. None. Ever.

And again it's all up to the person using it. Even on my Tesla's and also my last Vamo I ran both of them in VV.
Different strokes for different folks. I do use a kick sometimes in my SB and Legacy's. not often but sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
What I'm saying is VV has no advantage over VW. None. Ever.

Ohms law is ohms law. That sure seems to be true in this physical universe we are living in.

One a better vape than the other? Ohms law applies.

Preferences are a different matter.

I prefer VW. I use VV too.....and some unregulated. :blush: I won't bore you with the reasons why---because they have all been said before, but just boil it down to this. VW is easier to learn to use.

AND -- I must mention DNA20 for the people who want fantastic display and don't like the tire gauge look or format. There are a few boxy models out there using it as well as a Tube model coming out, for those who prefer tubes. If you check out the big reviewers of the OpusD, there is good news for the low ohmers as well.

A bit more safety in that arena can't be all bad.

Sherrick

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2010
Blackwater, Kentucky USA

Tony M

Nov 18, 2013
Oklahoma City, Ok
Okay, though this is an old thread I'm gonna try to add my two bits into it.

Don't know about all this back and forth about the provari vs whatever. I've been using my Vamo v2 for a long time. It was far cheaper than having to; not only purchase the provari @ $159.95, (prices taken directly from the provape site) but also having to add another $16.95 for an extension just so you can use an 18650 battery. And then if you want a blue or green display and LED instead of the standard red display and LED then add another $15.00. No doubt it'll do what it says, but comparing the price! Well that's enough for me to stay with my vamo v2 that I get for 44.95 which allows you to use an 18650 battery without any added cost other then a battery. Lets review. Vamo v2 (standard Blue display and LED) for 44.95 vs provari for $176.90 ( provari plus extension, standard red display and LED)

Microprocessor controlled ------ ----------------------------------------------------------------- Both
• 2.9-6.0 variable voltage range with .1 volt increments--------------------------------------- vamo v2 is 3.0v-6.0v
• Built-in digital display -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Both
• AccuSet™ Technology - Self-Calibration Feature ---------------------------------------------- Both
• Atomizer Ohm's checker built-in --------------------------------------------------------------- Both
• Battery voltage checker built-in --------------------------------------------------------------- Both
• Translucent light-up pushbutton with low battery indicator ---------------------------------- Both
• Single battery design ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Both
• Stock 510 connection ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Both and vamo v2 has the ego connection too
• Classy looking and made of stainless steel ----------------------------------------------------- Both
• 16 second safety cutoff ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Provari
• Short circuit protection -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Both
• Reverse battery protection -------------------------------------------------------------------- Both
• Thermal monitoring system -------------------------------------------------------------------- Both
• Amperage limiting -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Provari ( not sure about the vamo)
• Battery monitor and over-discharge protection ------------------------------------------- ----- Both
• Machine engraved logo ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Provari, Vamo is acid etched
• Vented for added safety ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Both
• Proudly made in the USA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Provari
• 1 Year warranty with optional 2 year warranty -------------------------------------------- depends on where you get your Vamo v2

Vamo v2 will not operate anything lower than 1.2 ohms. I think the provari will go down to 1 ohm

Sorry provari lovers, but I don't see enough better with the Provari to warrant such a price difference. But I guess it's that Harley thang. It's American made. Not necessarily better, but it is American made. Same arguments go on between rice burner owners and Harley owners.

For myself it's a cost effective thing. Despite the recent president thinking everyone is making 50k plus a year, which isn't anything close to the truth, We all now days need to watch our pennies. Best bang for your buck I think, is the Vamo v2 or v3. Provari is nice! No doubt about it, but it's not worth that much money. Opinions vary but this one is mine.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
hey everyone

looking to upgrade soon from just a couple of 650 mah ego batteries to a nice VV mod. price is an issue, but im not really sure what my range is... so dont take that into consideration while making recommendations. Just let me know what mod (or mods) work best for you and why!

as a side note, ive never used an atty, i only use tanks. let me know what you use on your mod and what you like about it. i use the mini vivi nova on the 650 mah egos, would probably use a regular vivi nova or a kanger pro on a VV mod.

thanks for all your help!

PS... pictures are encouraged ;)

And while the Vamo and Provari teams get their panties in a wad for the umpteenth time on this board. Let me give you a small suggestion.

Take 60 bucks and get two iTaste vv3's for "right now". They vape great, have a good form factor, have USB passthrough so you can vape while charging and will do you great on most "standard" stuff out there.

Now you have a VERY satisfying vape that will last you a better part of a year. (If you stay away from vendors selling counterfeits). Vapingtown 2013 has them for 29.99 and quick shipping and they have the authenticity sticker on the box you can validate against the manufacturers website.

Itaste VV 3 0 Starter Express Kit Authentic Guranteed The Latest wth More Rivets | eBay

Take the money you save on smokes, and put it into a jar. Soon you will be able to buy a ProVari. By that time, ProVari will most likely release a variable wattage flavor of their device. As variable wattage becomes more and more standard, I can't see ProVape not including it on their next flavor of Provari. (Variable Wattage is very nice if you change tanks/attys often because you don't have to tweak voltage as much).

ProVari's are excellent products and built like tanks, which is why Provari owners are so rabid. They also have some of the best voltage regulation in the industry. These units will hit their target voltage right up until the last gasp of the battery, which in my book makes them head and shoulders above all others.

But ProVari's are not cheap. The iTaste will allow you to wade into the APV pool, and still have some money left in your wallet. It makes the "waiting" for a ProVari easier.

Just my .02

bob949

Dec 7, 2013
Southern CA
Great comparison chart, thank you Tony M for all the work . Very informative! However, in the description Vamo v2 and v3 (did not check others), stated that " This device is not compatible with protected batteries." I had impression that it is not safe to use unprotected batteries in mods. Makes me wander now... I was so sold on getting Vamo for myself until this popped up :-( What do you think ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread