Billow V2 rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

billgharley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2015
Upstate NY, USA
Sorry, but need to vent a bit about my Billow V2 which I just received yesterday. I realize that the problems I'm having are not the rta's fault, but my own :)

Nice clear and well built rta and I like it. I've only built on the Subtank mini which I've had since it first hit the market, and have mastered the perfect build on it.

The Billow V2 is my first dual coil rta.
I think that the negative posts should be offset in height so you can more easily get the 2nd coil in. I know that I can raise the first coil up enough to get the 2nd in, but it's a PITA. I fubar'd my first build and scrapped it and tried again.
I took my time, was very careful and made sure everything was as good as I could get it. Certainly not perfect, but good enough hopefully.

It's frustrating that the screws cut my wire. I''m using 26g kanthal, it took 2 tries before I finally got it (so I thought).

1st coil.
1_coil-jpg.468823

2nd coil.
2_coils-jpg.468824

After cotton installed, juiced up, put back together, and vaping, everything was great...for about 1 minute.
Then ohms started bouncing around from .6 to 1.6.

Time to take it apart and give to another go.
The build deck is pretty small, so I guess I need to take more time and keep trying until I get it right.

Thanks for listening, and any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Bill G.

Attachments

• 1_Coil.jpg
    1_Coil.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 784
  • 2_Coils.jpg
    2_Coils.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 784

billgharley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2015
Upstate NY, USA
Well, that was an easy fix. Tightened the screws on the posts and that fixed it. .5 ohms and no bouncing. Either the screws are loosening, or I'm not tightening enough in fear of cutting the coil wires.
Working fine now with big airflow, great flavor, and big clouds. This thing isn't dry hitting at all, unlike the fist version of the subtank, so I'm a pretty happy camper right now.

Reactions: RaccoonChad

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Don't know if it will help you with future builds, but I'll throw in my :2c:

After I get my first coil installed, I push it down. That way the leads for my second coil I can get on top of the first one instead of through it or beneath it.

I also wrap my coils in the opposite direction that you did so my positive lead is coming off the top of the coil, and negative is coming off the bottom. Often, the positive block is raised so I find it works better that way. If the positive block isn't raised, then it doesn't matter really.

Also EHPro gives you the worst screws. Sand the bottoms of the screws and they won't cut the wire.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I'm a weird ambidextrous person who favors my right hand and yet wraps lefthanded coils :). One thing that helps me is to wrap the same way but start with my lead the other way on my drill bit. Usually I wrap with my lead starting under the bit, but if I need an opposite coil to my usual one, I'll start with my lead on the top of the bit (you may need to do the reverse of that).

billgharley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2015
Upstate NY, USA

After I get my first coil installed, I push it down. That way the leads for my second coil I can get on top of the first one instead of through it or beneath it.

@roxynoodle As far as pushing the first coil down, I tried that and had a tough time getting that 2nd one in. Pushed it up and it was easier. Your mileage may vary of course...I'm learning dual coil builds, so take that with a grain of salt :)
Thanks for the reply roxy.

billgharley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2015
Upstate NY, USA

I also wrap my coils in the opposite direction that you did so my positive lead is coming off the top of the coil, and negative is coming off the bottom. Often, the positive block is raised so I find it works better that way. If the positive block isn't raised, then it doesn't matter really.

Also EHPro gives you the worst screws. Sand the bottoms of the screws and they won't cut the wire.

roxy, I did exactly as you suggested...wrapped the coil in the opposite direction as normal. Negative lead coming off the bottom worked out perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion @roxynoodle

Reactions: roxynoodle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread