Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
images.jpg

Blind Man Willie Witherspoon: I've been playing the saxophone for 30 years. I want you to have it.

Bleedin' Gums Murphy: This isn't a saxophone. It's an umbrella.

Blind Man Willie Witherspoon: So I've been playing the umbrella for 30 years? Why didn't anyone ever tell me?

Bleedin' Gums Murphy: 'Cause we all thought it was funny.

Blind Man Willie Witherspoon: That's not funny.

Leal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2010
Montana
Some e liquids do have sweeteners but that wouldn't cause any gum problems. I had the same side effect and went to the dentist. He told me it was a side effect from quitting smoking. He wasnt concerned that it was from vaping. Just keep taking care of your teeth and gums like normal and drink lots of water. It lasted about two and a half weeks for me then just stopped.

If it is really concerning for you see your dentist and get recommendations for care.

BostLabs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Phoenix, AZ. USA
From what my dental hygienist told me on my last visit, smoking analogs restricts circulation to your gums. She discovered that I smoke when I was having a bit of a deep cleaning session and my gums were not bleeding from it.
Now that I've quit smoking and started vaping my gums will bleed a bit when brushing my teeth. It should go away after a bit.

In the meantime perhaps you need a more gentle toothbrush.

IMHO this is a small price to pay for getting off the stinkies. :)

Just my 0.2 cents. :)

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Nicotine and others of the 4000 other things in real cigarettes are vasoconstrictors, which means they actually make the vessels smaller. With vaping, you are probably using less nic and your blood vessels that were being choked off are now opening up and getting healthier. Being larger and having more blood available they need to adjust and not be as sensitive.

ALso, now that you know you are no longer smoking, you may just be brushing a bit harder to get your teeth cleaner and whiter. It happened to me and went away after a few weeks.

OOps we must have been thinking the same thing, I basically just said the same thing as post above:)

BostLabs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Phoenix, AZ. USA
Nicotine and others of the 4000 other things in real cigarettes are vasoconstrictors, which means they actually make the vessels smaller. With vaping, you are probably using less nic and your blood vessels that were being choked off are now opening up and getting healthier. Being larger and having more blood available they need to adjust and not be as sensitive.

ALso, now that you know you are no longer smoking, you may just be brushing a bit harder to get your teeth cleaner and whiter. It happened to me and went away after a few weeks.

OOps we must have been thinking the same thing, I basically just said the same thing as post above:)

Yeah but you provided more of an technical answer. The geek in me likes that. :D

Last edited:

Soundsystem00

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Dallas
Some e liquids do have sweeteners but that wouldn't cause any gum problems. I had the same side effect and went to the dentist. He told me it was a side effect from quitting smoking. He wasnt concerned that it was from vaping. Just keep taking care of your teeth and gums like normal and drink lots of water. It lasted about two and a half weeks for me then just stopped.

If it is really concerning for you see your dentist and get recommendations for care.

Thank you!

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Dang it bro I just clicked this thread to do a bleeding gum Murphy reference lol.

View attachment 203366

Blind Man Willie Witherspoon: I've been playing the saxophone for 30 years. I want you to have it.

Bleedin' Gums Murphy: This isn't a saxophone. It's an umbrella.

Blind Man Willie Witherspoon: So I've been playing the umbrella for 30 years? Why didn't anyone ever tell me?

Bleedin' Gums Murphy: 'Cause we all thought it was funny.

Blind Man Willie Witherspoon: That's not funny.

LaraPaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Northern VA/DC Metro
Try a salt rinse and see if that helps - 1c of warm water; 1 tsp of sea salt; 0.5 tsp of baking soda. I usually swish for 30 secs w half the solution and then another 15-30 secs with the rest. Good luck, I hope your mouth gets better. You can get a toothbrush for sensitive gums, extra soft and just try to avoid the spot that's irritated & bleeding.

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I once had a co-worker of mine point out to some story about this saying it proved how bad vaping is for you and I should go back to smoking "at least I know the risk". It was great to point out that this actually indicated the opposite.

Really though you should be fine. It would not hurt to check with a dentist since what might be benign to us might not be for everybody, but it's probably the same as it is for most people just your body adjusting to the lack of a poison bath every hour or so.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
So, I'll be the one.

Consult a Dentist not a group of strangers on medical matters.
we also have a lovely health sub forum just down the main page.
Health and Wellness

Before anyone bashes me - the Op did not ask, but assumed Vaping is at fault. We are always going to be scrutinized by outsiders and do Not need to make things look negative without just cause.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread