Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Retired1 said that Ownership has recently been trying some New things regarding ads. And it has caused some Funkiness.

Ads

Perhaps what you are seeing was a Result of some of the Levers being Pulled?

Did you try Logging Out, Clearing Cookies and Caches, and then Logging Back In?

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
running XP on the internet is a great way to get tons of malware. its got numerous unpatched holes.

I know. :( I'll probably have to go to Windows 10 soon, as some sites don't load for me and/or are very slow.

I haven't gotten a ton of viruses or malware in the past, but when I did, I just reformatted and reinstalled. I just love XP.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Has anyone else noticed the (sometimes long) list of "tags" Has begun showing up along with thread titles on the new posts page? I never noticed that before?

Could it mean they're working on tieing ads into the tags on threads we frequent? If this place is going full blown commercial may be time to bail.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Has anyone else noticed the (sometimes long) list of "tags" Has begun showing up along with thread titles on the new posts page? I never noticed that before?

Could it mean they're working on tieing ads into the tags on threads we frequent? If this place is going full blown commercial may be time to bail.

I'm not seeing "tags", but I do see below the title of the thread where it says "tags: add tags". Maybe you can click that and "un"add your tags.

BTW, that would be AFTER you open the thread. It isn't there under the title on the main page.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I saw some of those Tags Today. Not sure if it was a Glitch? Or something New?

ETA: Or if "Tags" can be Turned Off/On?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I know. :( I'll probably have to go to Windows 10 soon, as some sites don't load for me and/or are very slow.

I haven't gotten a ton of viruses or malware in the past, but when I did, I just reformatted and reinstalled. I just love XP.
i went with 8.1 myself. win10 has baked in spyware issues. Still not as bad as chrome that way though.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

They're just place holders that Oliver forgot to turn off at the end of the day.

Advertising pays the bills around here, and running ECF is not cheap. Either additional advertising revenue is found, or we may find that ECF can no longer afford to run. I find it somewhat ironic that those who don't support ECF as a Supporting Member tend to complain the loudest over advertising.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
They're just place holders that Oliver forgot to turn off at the end of the day.

Glad to hear that.

Advertising pays the bills around here, and running ECF is not cheap. Either additional advertising revenue is found, or we may find that ECF can no longer afford to run. I find it somewhat ironic that those who don't support ECF as a Supporting Member tend to complain the loudest over advertising.

Well since you have not yet slammed the door on this thread I guess I'm allowed to respond.

I was actually annoyed when I first started seeing complaints about the advertising myself. I do understand the need for it. I guess the fact I'm seeing it mentioned more and more finally sucked me in. When I saw the "tag thing" going on it sorta set off an alarm. Began to wonder just how manipulative and disrespectful of the lowly free member this oligarchy is planning to become? While I realize it's nothing that I wouldn't encounter anywhere else online, I don't spend my every spare moment anywhere else hoping to help folks.

Now naturally I expect that attempting to explain myself is making your hammer hand twitch. Oh well.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
@Foggy Road , I'm looking at tags as a way to enhance the forum experience.

I've got some big ideas and changes planned and tags is one of many implementations that I think will add value to both members and visitors. I'm going to be quietly testing these out in the background over the next few weeks. As I make these tests, people will jump out of their seats worrying that I'm up to mischief. I'm not, I'm taking stock as we head towards our 10 year anniversary and thinking of ways to make the forum better for all concerned.

Targeting ads at tags - I hadn't actually thought about that. But what would be the problem with that? Asked sincerely. Surely all it would mean was that ads that were relevant to a particular thread would be served - is that morally problematic?

This is said as someone, by the way, who takes concerns over privacy and online manipulations very seriously.

I'm sorry you think this site's somehow oligarchic, but really I don't know what you mean. It's a large forum with an extraordinary history - we don't do anything at all that I can think of that's manipulative or nefarious. We just run a damned good business and our priority is the membership (not our pockets).

ECF's in good hands with me. I want it to continue and to be able to run it the way I see fit. I hope you can trust me in this.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
@Foggy Road , I'm looking at tags as a way to enhance the forum experience.

I've got some big ideas and changes planned and tags is one of many implementations that I think will add value to both members and visitors. I'm going to be quietly testing these out in the background over the next few weeks. As I make these tests, people will jump out of their seats worrying that I'm up to mischief. I'm not, I'm taking stock as we head towards our 10 year anniversary and thinking of ways to make the forum better for all concerned.

Targeting ads at tags - I hadn't actually thought about that. But what would be the problem with that? Asked sincerely. Surely all it would mean was that ads that were relevant to a particular thread would be served - is that morally problematic?

Just My 2 Cents regarding a Tags.

Like Most things like Signature Banners or Social Media links, I have No Problem with Tags. As long as I have the Option to turn them On or Off.

I Don't find them All that Useful. And see them more as Visual Clutter. But some may think they are Great. So having the Option to Display them or Not to Display them would seem to Appeal to ALL ECF Members.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Just My 2 Cents regarding a Tags.

Like Most things like Signature Banners or Social Media links, I have No Problem with Tags. As long as I have the Option to turn them On or Off.

I Don't find them All that Useful. And see them more as Visual Clutter. But some may think they are Great. So having the Option to Display them or Not to Display them would seem to Appeal to ALL ECF Members.

Thanks @zoiDman - I will ensure this option is available. While we're at it, anything else you think I can set to on/offable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread