Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks @zoiDman - I will ensure this option is available. While we're at it, anything else you think I can set to on/offable?

Thanks Oliver. I figured the Option to turn Tags On/Off would be available, but figured I mention it.

As to other things which might be On/Offable... Here's one.

How about having the Number of Pages a thread has? Right now it is a Mouse Over.

Kinda a Minor thing I know. But it would make Navigation simpler.

---

I'll tell you what the Greatest Enhancement that could be. And that is an Improved Search Feature.

Being able to Search the ECF using Filters like Date Ranges, Words that must be Included/Excluded, exact search using Quotations - "Words to be searched for", etc., would be Huge.

I think most people go outside the ECF to use things like Google site searches for things.

Being able to do Internal Searches would be Easier. And Advertisers would like it because people would be spending more time on the ECF.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
I would love to see a update on the ecf supporting membership. Still don't know what my membership will get me.
Well, I'm working on this - I'd like to offer something more tangible. Right now it really is just a badge and the fact that you support ECF. I have some ideas but need to check on feasibility. Maybe different subscriptions: a monthly option? I don't know yet. I support a couple of websites with a monthly donation, so maybe that's the way to go.

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
Thanks Oliver. I figured the Option to turn Tags On/Off would be available, but figured I mention it.

As to other things which might be On/Offable... Here's one.

How about having the Number of Pages a thread has? Right now it is a Mouse Over.

Kinda a Minor thing I know. But it would make Navigation simpler.

---

I'll tell you what the Greatest Enhancement that could be. And that is an Improved Search Feature.

Being able to Search the ECF using Filters like Date Ranges, Words that must be Included/Excluded, exact search using Quotations - "Words to be searched for", etc., would be Huge.

I think most people go outside the ECF to use things like Google site searches for things.

Being able to do Internal Searches would be Easier. And Advertisers would like it because people would be spending more time on the ECF.
Oh boy, you've hit the nail on the head there: search. This is the number one thing I'm looking at and is one of the main reasons I'm currently looking at tags.

I did put google search on ECF at one time but, ouch, expensive. I will look again though.

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
Oh boy, you've hit the nail on the head there: search. This is the number one thing I'm looking at and is one of the main reasons I'm currently looking at tags.

I did put google search on ECF at one time but, ouch, expensive. I will look again though.
Bollocks, they've sunsetted Custom Search. OK, back to plan A.....

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
@zoiDman - by the way, visual clutter is absolutely in my sights. There's nothing worse than extraneous information.

Yeah... Everyone Hates Clutter.

ECF_7.jpg

Here a Shot of my Watched Threads. Imagine if Every Thread had as many Tags on it as the What Song thread. Yikes. LOL.

And BTW - See how the Coppervape thread shows the number of Pages because I did a Mouse Over on it. Since there is White Space to the right of a Thread's Info anyway, I would say just display the Page Numbers All the Time.

---

The Search Feature is something that Many have Mentioned. I'm not sure what the Forum Software is Capable of? Or how Easy or Expensive it would be to Enhance it.

I think Overall the ECF is a Very Good Site as is. With a Better, more Refinable Search, it would be Killer.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
@zoiDman. Thanks, very helpful.

Search: There's a lot that can be done inexpensively, it's just a question of time resources to do it properly.

When you Search "Thread Titles", the search works pretty well.

It's when you search inside threads is when the Wheels kinda Fall Off. And there has to be a way for the Search software to remember what the search was for. So when you hit the Back button in your browser, you don't just get a blank search page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread