Not open for further replies.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
Ok my fellow REOnauts,

I figured it was time to just make a separate thread for what I've got going on regarding this subject. I apologize in advance for being long winded and the total word count below lol.

I got stressed out pretty bad about 2 weeks ago, and needed to get stuff off my chest, and felt comfortable doing so here in REOville. One of the things I mentioned was that my wife and I were saving for IVF (In Vitro Fertilization, or in cruder terminology, "test tube baby" (don't really like that term)). Been married since December 2001, and still no kids yet. Nothing, not once, no pregnancy. Heck, I'd have thought I'd have accidentally made it happen over that kind of time frame LOL. No, Tricare (the military health insurance coverage) doesn't cover that treatment (unless I was physically.... damaged). We'll be doing it all out of pocket.

Anyways, Filthy Beast asked me about how we were accepting donations for this, and so FB was the first to help out here in REOville with this. A few others have also helped with this also, and to those that have pitched in, please know that we (my wife and I) are EXTREMELY grateful to you all. I have $5K I've set off to the side for this already (thinking that was all it was going to cost...), but with the additional costs of medications/procedures, we'll need about $9.5K in total to start this up at the clinic we are going to (Bourn Hall Clinic, Cambridge UK... about 45 minutes from my duty station). Next month, we've got heating oil and TV tax coming out of my paycheck (if you are British or have lived in the UK, you know how much that stuff can cost and it cannot be put off), so we won't be able to save the full amount as normal, which is going to delay getting this done. Full budget lockdown is in effect in my house at this time. We are trying to get this done as quickly as possible as my wife will be turning 40 this fall, in August.

So far, we've gotten almost $800 through donations from personal friends/acquaintances of ours, and some generous REOnauts here on ECF (who are kind of cheering us on, I think). I was asked if I could just post the links to the donation sites. I checked with an admin that I know... and no, I cannot do that. Having said that, if anyone was interested in checking the links out (or sharing them with other people they know), feel free to PM me or the following folks listed below:

Filthy Beast
InTheClouds
Thinkingaboutit
RattlerX
BlueSnake
Doots
Moondragon

I've already promised one of those listed that if we succeed, I'll allow them to call me in 10 years to yell at my kid to clean their room up.

Anyways... this thread (created on advice from FB and the others) is where I'll post updates to what's going on, and folks can feel free to ask me questions here, or via PM, on how things are going if they want to. Let us avoid copying/pasting from the links please, in this thread. If folks want to know, they'll ask.

Needless to say, even if I wanted to get another REO (which I do, and I've already kicked around the idea on how to customize a sweet one that paint matches my red mustang, with some laser cut designs...), I'm on a vape budget moratorium until further notice (literally NO money to be spent on vaping, at all). Last thing I got was some ribbon kanthal from Mr. Alex Mundy (I still need to sit down and twist that up!) What is funny is that about 1 year ago (April 6th) I decided to quit smoking, and this no baby thing was the biggest driving factor for me quitting smoking, subsequently switching to vaping, which has led me here eventually to REOville!

Thanks for reading this far down the post. I hope I didn't put many of you to sleep. I'll update as soon as I have something new!

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I was thinking a TV tax would cause another Tea party here in the states. but then I got my cable bill and realized I'm already paying on monthly basis. Have you found out your status and if you will be hit do to the budget cuts yet? My Son's last day as active duty is today after 11 years as a Marine.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
I was thinking a TV tax would cause another Tea party here in the states. but then I got my cable bill and realized I'm already paying on monthly basis. Have you found out your status and if you will be hit do to the budget cuts yet? My Son's last day as active duty is today after 11 years as a Marine.

TV tax here is, as I understand it, to pay for the BBC. If you can watch a live broadcast on any format (freesat TV, cable, even the internet), you must pay the tax. On top of that, then unless you do freesat, you still gotta pay for cable/internet! Used to be a reimbursable expense (if you were US military) but not anymore (the tax that is).

I haven't found out yet if they are going to axe me yet due to budget cuts. It is something I do worry about after this much time in. Hoping I get promoted this year also, would help a lot!

That sucks for your son, if he wanted to serve the full 20 (which is what it sounds like if he was at 11 already, 10 is the latest I'd recommend getting out, after that go to 20). He could always try guard/reserve also? Hopefully he will be ok, pretty rough getting that axe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
Sending positive vibes for both of you Borescoped!!

I have to say - I had forgotten about TV Tax - this post reminded me of an older British Comedy "The Young Ones" and the telly tax episode....LOL

He eats the TV to not have to pay it....maybe it will work?
seven_youngone_04.jpg

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Reonauts, even a $1 donation helps, any amounts are welcome. If 100 people give $1 that's $100. Boroscoped and his wife would have never asked if there was another way. This is very stressful and humiliating to have to ask and lay open your life when you would rather not. This is their last ditch effort. They are running out of time quickly to try and start their and could use our help. If you can spare anything it will mean a great deal to them.

Please PM me for details if you need the information. Thank you. And Boroscoped and his wife will thank you.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Ok, so we will be doing the blastocyst procedure, on recommendation of the doctor, and looks like my wife is planning on skipping the anesthesia, since it will save money, and hopefully let us start sooner. Small update, think I forgot a few things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope all goes well and that you can use your hand after she crushes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread