Breaking in a new coil question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashif

May 26, 2019
Got my first kit (vaporesso luxe S). A question about priming the coil is that do I need to soak the cotton only or also some liquid on the metal part here and there too?

Also do I need to put juice to the cotton which is showing from outside or do I need to just soak it from top and saturate the cotton?

Please reply. I am waiting to break in the coil but don't want to be very impatient and burn it. Please explain. Thanks

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The cotton needs to be totally wet all the way through everywhere. There are many ways to achieve that though. Capillary action will eventually drew juice throughout the cotton assuming there is enough juice available to do that. This is why one generally leaves a new coil for a bit. To give the juice time to work though the cotton.

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
Got my first kit (vaporesso luxe S). A question about priming the coil is that do I need to soak the cotton only or also some liquid on the metal part here and there too?

Also do I need to put juice to the cotton which is showing from outside or do I need to just soak it from top and saturate the cotton?

Please reply. I am waiting to break in the coil but don't want to be very impatient and burn it. Please explain. Thanks
Hi I have that tank. Not bad too.
Just hold the coil and drop a drop in each slot and turn to the next two slots and repeat. Repeat the whole procedure till you can look at the cotton inside tge coil and see its all evenly wet, saturated. Assemble the tank, fill it, wait for about 5 mins to be sure any tighter spots between the outer slots and inner cotton are wicked and start at the lowest coil rating on the coil. Take a few hits and raise it by a few watts, repeat till you are at your desired level. Just so you know though, that tank and coils take a good thankful to break in flavour wise. So if you get through half a tank and think hmmm it's not as good as I expected, just be patient. It'll get there. Wicks pretty good too with those 8 wick slots it has.
Actually thats how i wick all my coils with all my tanks and never had a problem. Only times i had problems was when i used to just put a few drops in the holes and let the tank do the major wicking.

Last edited:

kashif

May 26, 2019

The cotton needs to be totally wet all the way through everywhere. There are many ways to achieve that though. Capillary action will eventually drew juice throughout the cotton assuming there is enough juice available to do that. This is why one generally leaves a new coil for a bit. To give the juice time to work though the cotton.

Just follow the instructions on the box.

I would suggest start vaping the new coil at a lower wattage and bumping the watts up some at time to start off with.

Hi I have that tank. Not bad too.
Just hold the coil and drop a drop in each slot and turn to the next two slots and repeat. Repeat the whole procedure till you can look at the cotton inside tge coil and see its all evenly wet, saturated. Assemble the tank, fill it, wait for about 5 mins to be sure any tighter spots between the outer slots and inner cotton are wicked and start at the lowest coil rating on the coil. Take a few hits and raise it by a few watts, repeat till you are at your desired level. Just so you know though, that tank and coils take a good thankful to break in flavour wise. So if you get through half a tank and think hmmm it's not as good as I expected, just be patient. It'll get there. Wicks pretty good too with those 8 wick slots it has.
Actually thats how i wick all my coils with all my tanks and never had a problem. Only times i had problems was when i used to just put a few drops in the holes and let the tank do the major wicking.

Thank you so much. I am just scared to prime the coil from inside because may accidentally pour juice in the middle of the coil. Is it ok to just prime the coil from the cotton which is showing from outside?

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    Thank you so much. I am just scared to prime the coil from inside because may accidentally pour juice in the middle of the coil. Is it ok to just prime the coil from the cotton which is showing from outside?
    Yes, that is perfectly fine. Avoid putting too much juice down the coil.

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
    I always prime and saturate my coils before I fit them to the tank, holding them in my hand and doing as I said. That way i never have to worry if it has wicked properly or is fully saturated. I still let them sit for 5 when in the tank and juiced up and have never had an issue doing so. If you just do a few drops, then put it in the tank and seal it then add the juice you can never be sure it's wicked fully and the vacuum now in the sealed tank can restrict full saturation. Not saying it always will but if a coil is packed a little tight cotton wise you may from the vacuum not allowing full easy saturation get a dry hit. That would now and then happen when I did it the few drops way ages ago, but never since the way I now do it. Yep, now and then I get a coil not last well and be funky in just a day or less, but a dry hit, nope.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Prime head, install in base, depending on which tank you have - either fill tank then thread base & 'tank' together, Or, thread together then fill tank.
    Whichever works best for you.

I leave the airflow setting where I normally use it when refilling or changing the head, or letting it sit after changing a head, or while it is on top of my power device, or, well basically always.
    Closing airflow completely may prevent liquid flow, or maybe not.
    Do whatever works best for you.

Some people don't believe in priming or gradually 'breaking in' new/unused heads, consider it a waste of time & effort, a myth.

There really is no such thing as good, better, best, right or wrong, must do, must not do in vaping.
    There are no hard & fast rules in vaping other than basic battery safety, handling, use & selection.

Last edited:
    • Agree

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
    Jan 31, 2019

Priming-Atomizer-Head_1200x1200.jpg

prime cotton only, then put on tank and wait 2 mins, you will be done to go!

Regards,

kashif

May 26, 2019
    Prime head, install in base, depending on which tank you have - either fill tank then thread base & 'tank' together, Or, thread together then fill tank.
    Whichever works best for you.

I leave the airflow setting where I normally use it when refilling or changing the head, or letting it sit after changing a head, or while it is on top of my power device, or, well basically always.
    Closing airflow completely may prevent liquid flow, or maybe not.

Some people don't believe in priming or gradually 'breaking in' new/unused heads, consider it a waste of time & effort, a myth.

There really is no such thing as good, better, best, right or wrong, must do, must not do in vaping.
    There are no hard & fast rules in vaping other than basic battery safety, handling, use & selection.

Priming-Atomizer-Head_1200x1200.jpg

prime cotton only, then put on tank and wait 2 mins, you will be done to go!

Regards,

Thanks a lot. :vapor::vapor::vapor:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    There are tons of ways to prime. Down inside the coil a tiny bit is fine as long as you don't oversaturate or flood it. My preferred method is to do some "dry inhales' and let capillary action do the work as I slowly bump up the wattage. I am a real fan of capillary action for some reason. I think it might be because I am so impressed with celery.

Anna

• Agree
    Reactions: MacTechVpr

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    I never had to prime a new coil.
    I just changed it, filled the tank with liquid thereafter and had it rest for 10..15 minutes.
    After that, everything was alright and ready for use.

So why such a mess here?
    I think on some of them if you don't do it correctly you can be stuck with an air bubble that ruins the coil. But mostly they advise it because of impatience.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread