BREAKTHROUGH INNOVATION! – The Ego Booster from Artisan Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfsuphere

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
PA - Bethlehem area
First thank you for the time it took to review this item, as a newbie eGo user, who has been considering a $200 VV, this item certainly looks interesting. lol; few years ago, $60 Canadian would have been $40 USD, but no longer :) It is tempting, but $60 USD does give me pause.

So odd the VV dial is "backwards" from logic, lol; now if it was a Down Under Aussie device, that would make sense :)

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
If you know of any native 5v tube mods please let me know! If only the silver bullet came as a 5V!
Vaprlife has three of them. The joker, pearl and turbo are all available in fixed 5V or adjustable models. I honestly can't recommend them however, since my joker died within 6 months, and my coworker's died even quicker. The wiring used internally is far to fine for the amount of current passing through it, and it burns up. It is impossible to repair due to the depth of the tube.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Frankly, I don't see the point to fixed HV mods anymore. Either go 3.2-3.7V fat batt or mod with LR cartomizers/atomizers ... or variable voltage. 5V may deliver an ideal vape for a particular atty/carto and e-liquid ... period!

The budget route is LR on an inexpensive fat batt or 3.7V mod – and it can work very well (e.g., "LR" no longer means 1.5Ω, no more, no less). If you are ready, willing, and financially able, the ideal route is VV (either this new Ego Booster or something like the Buzz, ProVari, or Darwin). I had been taking (and still take) the budget route – with some neat fat batts (like the KGO and Echo), mods like the NoEgos, and LR cartos (like the Smok Tech Dual Coil and LR 801). [Also I was gifted the more expensive ProVape-1 and Jazz CartoPipe.] Now, as a beta tester, I also am able to supplement with VV.

Great...a device that will further shorten the battery life of an already dismal run time...
Mike, please see in my review the official FAQ estimate of mAh shortening as no more than 25% and my (and others') experience consistent with that. Practically speaking: If you are going on a weekend camping trip, bring a 26650-based Helix. Otherwise, 75% X 650 (or 1000) mAh sustains me much longer than needed for my second battery to recharge.

Not just battery life, but battery lifespan as well. Even the "name brand" ego batteries aren't exactly famous for long-term reliability.

The fact is, keeping resistance constant, raising the voltage must also raise the current. You're pulling more power from the device than it was designed to handle. Something's gotta give, and whether it's the MOSFET or the LiPo cells themselves, a boosted ego will die sooner than a stock ego. If you're OK with buying replacements more often, then by all means, go for it. But please be aware that, over a medium-to-long time frame, a proper variable mod will be much cheaper.
Haven't used it long enough to challenge or confirm, candre. Your logic is sound. But what is that "medium-to-long time frame"? Compared to: When will the ProVari or Darwin be obsolete?

Last edited:

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
A low-end variable mod will be cheaper than an egobooster setup in under a year. If we round down and assume $50 for an ego starter kit, $60 for the booster, $15 per replacement battery, and 2-month (optimistic) battery lifespan, you're looking at a TCO of $170 for the year. Compare that to a Joker AV kit at $130 with four batteries that should last at least six months. Replacements are only $8.50 a pair, bringing the 1 year TCO to $147.

A good variable mod like the Provari has a 1-year TCO of about $187 including a charger and a year's worth of batteries. That's only a $17 premium for a setup that will surpass the egobooster in every way.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Thank you, candre, for answering my question and for your continuing analysis! Time will tell on those eGo battery lifespans.

I think there are other factors beyond mid- to long-term financial investment – subjective ones. Although I do use mods (and also super-minis like the VOLT), I find myself reaching for my fat batts more frequently. I like the more slender feel in my hand. And even that very minor additional effort of inserting generic batteries in a mod weighs against them somewhat.

Speaking of weight: mods are heavier than fat batts. Once I put a ~1000 mAh 14650 battery in the lightweight shell of my NoEgo, it is heavier than my 1000 mAh eGo ... or my 1100 mAh KGO (which, like the NoEgo, is 3.7V BTW).

And the ProVari is a gadget – making it immensely attractive to some vapers, less so to others. The eGo/Ego Booster combo is plug-and-play. For me, it is what I hoped the Infinity would be ... and the Infinity Pro may be.

Last edited:

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia

No, you didn't.

You came up with a 2 month timeline in the post I asked you about, and you sent me back to your earlier post with an assumption that "something has to give".

I would like to know why "something has to give", and why you assume an eGo battery will only last 2 months.

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
Did you actually read my post? The egobooster puts more strain on the ego batteries then they were designed to handle. Considering the relatively short average lifespan of ego batteries, they're probably operating out of spec in their default configuration. Under regular use, ego batteries rarely last more than about four months. Halving that due to increased wear is a reasonable guesstimate. Maybe they'll last a bit longer, maybe a bit shorter. They will definitely wear down faster than an un-boosted battery. And since ego batteries cost so much more than prismatic-cell Li-Ion batteries, TCO is eventually going to be higher.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
How about using a leo battery with a 510 adapter?
Nope! The fat batt must be 3.2V. [Actually, I don't know of any non-eGo fat batt that will work with it. There may be.] Also, for whatever technical reason, mods using very high mAh batteries like the 18650 or lesser mAh IMR batteries work with it.

TWolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Northern MS
twolf2u.blogspot.com
...and 2-month (optimistic) battery lifespan....
not to belittle your personal experience, but my own (and others) would negate this statement..... my original Janty eGos lasted for well over 6 months of heavy daily use.... and then as a back up for many months longer before performance started to come into question.... I fully expect the batteries I'm using now (over 3 months old) to perform just as well...

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
not to belittle your personal experience, but my own (and others) would negate this statement..... my original Janty eGos lasted for well over 6 months of heavy daily use.... and then as a back up for many months longer before performance started to come into question.... I fully expect the batteries I'm using now (over 3 months old) to perform just as well...

Agree - I have been using the 1 ego pass-through since September along with 1 from December with heavy use and they are still going strong. I have in the past blown ego and other batteries in a short time by using it with a cartomizer that shorted out - but that is a rare occurrence. I have been using these 2 egos almost all of the time in the last few months - they just keep going - though I have noticed the paint is starting to flake off a bit lately

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
The Original ModFather, USA
Where did you get that photo?! Is that really Johnny Depp?

I know virtually nothing about PhotoShop. Is that an example of what it can do?!

I went to a website called funny.pho.to and set up the pic. Yes, it's really Johnny Depp. Cool pic, huh?

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
A low-end variable mod will be cheaper than an egobooster setup in under a year. If we round down and assume $50 for an ego starter kit, $60 for the booster, $15 per replacement battery, and 2-month (optimistic) battery lifespan, you're looking at a TCO of $170 for the year. Compare that to a Joker AV kit at $130 with four batteries that should last at least six months. Replacements are only $8.50 a pair, bringing the 1 year TCO to $147.

A good variable mod like the Provari has a 1-year TCO of about $187 including a charger and a year's worth of batteries. That's only a $17 premium for a setup that will surpass the egobooster in every way.

I think the main target audience for the ego booster is those who have already invested in an ego setup. So for those of us who already have a bunch of ego's, chargers, and all the necessary accessories, another $55 (which is the price after the discount is applied) for a fitting that gives us a VV range of 3.3-4.7 is a pretty damn good investment.

It's also convenient in the way it has the dial to adjust voltage. Some of the older VV mods like the Buzz need a screwdriver (I think).

For me, the other good thing about this booster is that it gives me an extra HV e-cig I can take around with me if I decide I dont want to take a provari or GLV2 around with me (once I get those). It's also not such a bad thing to have 2 mods on hand for holidays or situations where it's not so easy to charge a dry battery on a VV PV. It makes for a fine auxiliary backup.

I kind of like the idea of having my ego around even if I do invest in a more expensive VV PV.

I am kind of new to the whole mod and VV PV thing, so please observe all the necessary newbie disclaimers. Just my opinions. Correct me if I am wrong.

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread